Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Explorer_Chief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Explorer Duties!!!

What do you allow explorers to do on scene and what is the policy on riding apparatus?
    Thanks

------------------
    John Barker
    Wish me good luck ,
    im presenting to get
    an explorer post started!!!!!!!
    WWW.CLEARCREEKFIRE.COM
    Chief_X20@Yahoo.Com

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

John:

I used to run post 9621 out of Orange County Ca. Our explorers were divided into two classes; ride along qualified and not. A go-get-em kind of kid could make ride along in under six months. Once qualified they were allowed to ride the fourth man on pumpers or fifth man on trucks. (At this time ORCO was using 3 man engines and 4 man trucks). Explorers rode along and participated as part of the crew on all calls. They were not allowed to enter a building while still on fire but could man exposure lines. They did not participate in hazardous materials incidents except in the support zone. They were not allowed to exit the apparatus on a freeway unless traffic had been stopped. Like I said they participated as a full crew member including routines around the station and company inspections. They pitched in for station meals and helped to cook and clean. All in all a great expierence for one who thinks they might want to dedicate their lives to this crazy job.

Running a post is lots of hard work. You end spending almost as much time being a youth counselor as you do teaching fire fighting. The rewards are worth it though. I have several Ex-Explorers who are active mebers of fire departments.

Good Luck.

------------------
    Brian Johnson
    Asst. Chief, Training
    MCAS Iwakuni, Japan

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Check with the Dept insurance policy.... Our Juniors don't go to fire scenes or ride apparatus. If they're drilling with us on Sunday mornings, then someone has to drive them there in the van.

Good luck!

Any ideas on recruting females???

Chief101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I'm the chief of our Jr. department. We are allowed to ride to fires on equipment trucks or an ambulance. We are not allowed to ride on pumpers or the aireal truck except to drills and parades.

explorer36
    Firehouse.com Guest

At our Station, Explorers have to pass a test showing the know the apparatus and then they will be able to ride. At the scene we mainly get tools, change air-paks and other jobs.

------------------
    Joe
    Vice-Pres
    WHTFC

scott-L
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our dept we must go through a 60 day probabtion period where we are not allowed to go to any calls then we must pass a test then we are allowed to start going to go to calls and we can ride on any truck in our dept. At the scene we pretty much do air bottles, lighting, and anything that is needed that we are allowed to do.

CTFDExplorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Is there any papers from the BSA dealing with Fire Explorer's. With Police there is a certificate they give the post for ride along's. My Explorer's are currently only allowed to ride in Command Vehicles unless they are working with the Day Crew with Cheif's Approval. And then they are only allowed to do minor work.

Cadet/Major Cory Adkins

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey man I am a Jr. FF for out vol. department. The state law (Alabama) says and this sucks "No person under the age of 18 years is allowed to participate in any actual fire fighting activities relating to fires, hazardous materials, no matter what kind of fire." But I really think that sucks.
    But we can:
    1. Participate in fire drills, attend classes
    2. Receive and relay fire calls and alarms, using radio and other communication equitment.
    3. Participate in the inspection of bulidings and hydrants.

And that is just a few.
    So good luck.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey man I am a Cadet FF for out vol. department. The state law (Alabama) says and this sucks "No person under the age of 18 years is allowed to participate in any actual fire fighting activities relating to fires, hazardous materials, no matter what kind of fire." But I really think that sucks.
    But we can:
    2. Receive and relay fire calls and alarms, using radio and other communication equitment.

And that is just a few.
    So good luck.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey man I am a Cadet FF for our vol. department. The state law (Alabama) says and this sucks "No person under the age of 18 years is allowed to participate in any actual fire fighting activities relating to fires, hazardous materials, no matter what kind of fire." But I really think that sucks.
    But we can:

And that is just a few.
    So good luck.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Hey man I am a Cadet FF for our vol. department. The state law (Alabama) says and this sucks "No person under the age of 18 years is allowed to participate in any actual fire fighting activities relating to fires, hazardous materials, no matter what kind of fire." But I really think that sucks.
    But we can:

And that is just a few.
    So good luck.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

jrff1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

At our station you aren't aloud to ride till your 16 due to laws. After that yur just another firefighter that can't go inside. That's all. Other than that, if yur under 16 you can go to fires, just find your own way. I thonk that is dumb, but who am I? I think if you have passed basic and are qulified to ride you should be able to. But, like I said, Who am I?

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was once a fire explorer and now I'm a firefighter. At this time, Our explorers are allowed to ride on the trucks to calls as long as they are are qualified and there is room. A senior firefighter has first shot at seats in the truck. If a firefighter arrives at the station and the truck is full, a explorer has to get off the truck if they are in it. As far as duties, on fire scences, they assist in changing SCBA bottles, set up staging and equipment areas, set lighting. Almost anything as along as there not in a dangeroues situation. They are never used to replace a senior fire fighter. We've had great success with the program since it started back in 1986. As far as whar you can /can't do, that will be left up to your fire department and local goverment. Good luck!

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In our department Jrs (16-18) are allowed to ride the first due aparatus, unless a more qualified member is there. As for on scene activities the Jrs are allowed to do all FF activities except going into burning buildings and operating power equipment such as chain saws. This means if we have a car fire, a Jr can possibly pack up and fight the fire, granted the Jr is trained. Also the Jr would be under supervision by a senior FF.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Ray34
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would like to reply to Chris Deyerle and Jrff1... Please be patient... The Laws and Rules are for your safety!!! I was once in your shoes and thought the same thing, but I had to put in my time watching and learning and I understand now why the laws and rules are in place. I am an explorer adviser and a call firefighter for 27 years. I have seen a few dangerous situations that young firefighters (men in their 20's) did not recognize and if it weren't for the more experienced men holding them back they would have enter with life threating results. Use your time as a junior firefighter to recognize these dangers. Listen to the stories of the older firefighters. There is NO room for mistakes in firefighting. Our explorers are allowed on a fire scene to observe and some limited support work. They are not allowed on responding fire apparatus. I am happy to see your enthusiasm to be involved, but I'm afraid you are missing some of the important rules of firefighting. Never be in too much of a rush to do anything, you may never do it again, in fact you may not be alive to do anything.

Thread Information