MEDIC3192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Starting an Explorer program

I am a JR- firefighter/medic And my departments JR. program sucks. We do nothing maybe onece or twice they let us handle a line at fire school. we cant even ride on the trucks to school. we have to find our own way to get there. no one in the department really cares about the juniors except the Juniors but we have heard great things about explorer programs and would like to get one started does any one know whers information on starting a program can be obtained
    Thank you, Anthony

explorer36
    Firehouse.com Guest

The way to go is to contact the Boy Scouts Council in your area and inquire about starting and post. Also, ask around the station to see if there is any interest. Good Luck!

------------------
    Joe
    Vice-Pres
    WHTFC

explorer36
    Firehouse.com Guest

The way to go is to contact the Boy Scouts Council in your area and inquire about starting a post. Also, ask around the station to see if there is any interest. Good Luck!

------------------
    Joe
    Vice-Pres
    WHTFC

Michael Johnston FFII EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We started our cadet program this past May after about six months of research done by yours truly. We elected not to go with the Boy Scouts because our insurance company generously offered to cover our cadets for free with no additional cost to our company, so long as our Cadets were carrying out duties that regular memebers carry out. They provided a book with brief overviews from Explorer and Junior firefighter programs from across the country. This was the basis for our program.
    We've been lucky because of the support given to the program by many of the local fire companies, hospital and state police. Our Cadet have been able to participate in live burns, ladder classes that included climbing a 100' quint and extrication training.
    I've been lucky because I've got two other Adult Advisors who are as excited about this program as I am. It sounds like this is what your program is lacking.
    Good Luck
    Mike Johnston FFII-EMT
    Asst. Engineer
    Clifty Six Fire/Rescue
    Adult Advisor
    Clifty Six Cadet Program

Thread Information