+ Reply to Thread
    Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb Probie firefighters rideing a rig

This post has been removed by the user.

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes.

Our local department allows juniors to ride, assuming they've passed the Chief's 'Your ok' test. They can do most of with FF's do, except internals and hazards and stuff like that.

Any of you read about that over-turned pumper? 15 y/o junior was riding. Goes to proove just because were young doesn't mean we're safe.

Kramer1075
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

IN MY DEPARTMENT, THE PROBIES HAVE TO KNOW WHERE EVERYTHING IS ON ALL OF THE RIGS AND PASS THE CHIEF TEST (THATS A KILLER). ALL THOUGH A LOT OF PROBIES IN MY DEPT. THINK THERE TASK ON THE FIREGROUND IS MEANINGLESS. THERE IS REALLY A DIFFERENCE WHEN NO PROBIES ARE THERE. WHEN ALL OF THE "NOT SO IMPORTANT" TASKS AREN'T DONE, THEN THE BIGGER AND MORE MEANINGFUL TASK CAN'T GET DONT EITHER!

[This message has been edited by Kramer1075 (edited December 05, 1999).]

Chief101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

In our department we are only allowed to ride on equipment trucks, rescue trucks and ambulances. We are not allowed to ride on the pumpers except to drills and parades. Our first truck out is only supposed to have interior qualified ff on it. That rarly happens.

Chief101

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

NO because the state (alabama) law. I can not even go on a call but I am still trying my hardest to get that changed.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

tmr91
    Firehouse.com Guest

The fire department I work for has a fire explorer post. The explorers are allowed to ride in the trucks if there is a open seat. If the truck is full of firefighters and explorers and another firefighter arives at the station, the exploer must give up his/her seat. since we are paid on call, there has been many times there is only one to two firefighters and one to two explorers. Its worked out well with no major problems. You can vist the post at www.htfd.com. Hope it helps.

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my town Explorers are not allowed to ride the trucks or anything like that. When they are 16 they can become Junior F/F's and do that stuff (not interior...etc). For instance im both an explorer and junior f/f, but the junior f/f status overrides the explorer status. we still have explorer drills and such and they are permited to ride on the truck and do stuff to and from those drills. But as for fire calls explorers are not on any FD apparatus

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    XMetalSxeX@aol.com
    -Junior Fire Fighter
    NMFD Co.2 Tower/Rescue-31 Engine-33
    -EMT-B
    NMVAC 318 & 319
    New Milford,NJ

"Species come and go, but the earth stands forever fast. All river runs towards the sea, but the sea is never full"-In Flames

rdrlve
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yes in my Dept you can. but its a trust thing. As a Jr i trained hard to get a level of confedence out of my supiriors. I am able to make a truck on most calls from cardiacs to MVA to Fires. its IS a trust thing and as a JR you must work you Butt of to gaing it or you will never make a truck. You have to pay your dues in the classroom and radio room and n the training ground.

------------------
    Engine 41, Heavy Rescue 43
    ----**SHAKE AND BAKE**----

MEDIC4Lyfe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes,

I am an EMS Explorer and also a Jr. FF. At Both places I can ride. All I have to do is turn a ride-release form once, and that goes on file. That is suprising seen as I live in Charlotte, NC and at MEDIC where I am an EMS Explorer they get over 200 calls in 24 hrs. And the VFD where I am a JFF they are one of the busiest in the county, and have the newest, nicest equip. Also, I know at CFD (Charlotte Fire Dept.) you can ride at 15 after being a member of the post for 6 months and pass a written and physical test. I plan to start at CFD soon.
    later!

MEDIC4LYfe

dalmation500
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

in my department we are only alowed to ride a specific truck and only on in town calls that is only if that truck gets out.

Thread Information