Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Probies rideing in the jump seat

I was just wondering what your dept's policy is on probies or JR firefighters rideing as officer. I have done it one time and that was to a Haz Con and we were the first truck out. If i was allowed to ride as officer there must be no firefighters there and in the day time that happens alot. I have been close to rideing as a officer again and it will prob. happen soon. I just want to know if your dept allowes u to ride

Kramer1075
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our policy on JR's riding as officer is this: a junior can ride as officer as long as there is no officers riding or anyone with more senoirity than the JR's riding.

OCFireEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

im sorry guys, but to be in a situation where a junior or explorer is the most senior firefighter there, thats some scary stuff! to me, has happend before when i was a volly in redneck country, but out here in the big city, where we have a real department, with A,B,and C shifts, and 3 man trucks, it wont happen untill i have a red helmet (captain).

Joe

Kramer1075
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

First of all my department is far from being a redneck department. Second of all when my dept. gets calls, not just 1 rig gets out. We get the engine, truck and the ambulance. So all of our firefighters are spread out all over the rigs.

OFD95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

In my department Jrs can ride in any seat as long as they do not get bumped by either an officer or regular member. A typical rig has no more than 2 Jrs on-board who are not sitting in the SCBA seats. During the Tropical Storm Floyd and Wildwood, I rode as the officer on the truck.

------------------
    Joey Gothelf
    Oradell Fire Dept.
    Junior Fire Fighter #95
    Oradell, NJ

evfdjf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

In our company the juniors must ride in the back of the rescue, seated and buckled. The only time we ride as officers is when we arrive at station and there are no other senior members except the driver, then we may ride as officers. We have two pumpers, a tower, a brush truck, a rescue and a tanker, if they are not filled we may ride on anyone of them.

[This message has been edited by evfdjf (edited January 19, 2000).]

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our SOGs give cab priority to officers and position priority to senior FFs over junior FFs. We generally follow those guidelines, but we don't get uptight about it. I've pulled up at the station (I'm an officer) and climbed into a jump seat of a rig that was pulling out rather than making the rig wait so I could bump a junior from the cab. The way I see it...why hold up the response? I have my portable with me in the jump seat and I can yell instructions to the driver through the windows if I need to, so I can do what I need to do from there.

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

I assume when you talk about riding as an officer, you mean riding shot-gun. In our department, If we have a jr and an officer, we will have the Jr. ride shot-gun. This may sound kind of backward but here is the reason, if you have a fire and a jr. that can't pack up, but an officer that can, it would make sense that the officer would take the jumpseat, allowing himself to be ready appon arrival with the scba. The Jr riding shot-gun then, if trained can operate the radio and help the driver, although some times the driver will have to do everthing(radio,lights and sirens). Also note our trucks don't role unless there is 4 members on, regardless of Jr. or senior status, so having your officer and other Interior FF pack up gives you a two man team instead of one.

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!

dalmation500
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

i think that is a very bad idea. when you are a junior your supossed to be learnening not by telling people what to do. you need experience first

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

If there are no officers, then the most senior guy rides the seat. If it happens to be a junior firefighter, then he will ride the seat. The junior firefighter is the driver's responsibility.

------------------
    Ryan B.

FF.FOREVER
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I THINK WE'VE GOT THE WORD OFFICER MIXED UP. WHY IS TI ALWAYS CALLED THE OFFICERS SEAT. IN MY DEPT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A OFFICERS SEAT! ALL OF OUR TRUCKS ARE 2 MAN CABS FOR NOW. MOST OF THE FIRE OFFICERS RESPOND IN THEIR OWN P.O.V'S SO THAT THE FIREFIGHTERS RESPOND ON THE TRUCKS AND USALLY BY THE TIME WE ARRIVE AN OFFICER IS ON SCENE READY WITH INSTUCTIONS. JUST BECAUSE A JR.FF SITS IN THAT SEAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT HE'S GOING TO HAVE CONTROL OF THE SCENE. IF THAT THE WAY YOUR DEPT. IS RUN THEN YOU'RE GOT SOME REAL PROBLEMS!EVERYONE BE SAFE

THIS IS JUST MY OPINION

firecadet613
    Firehouse.com Guest

To FF.FOREVER, we are just speaking in general. Most, but not all departments have 4 door crew cab apparatus. The seat on the right side of the engineers is normally called the Officers. That is how it is in all the big departments, IFD, CFD, FDNY. Now if you are on a smaller, maybe volunteer/combination department, somethings will be different. Just try to look at the whole picture, at over half of the fire departments in the United States of America, that seat is referred to as the Officers seat.

------------------
    Joe E. Thomson
    tttennis@corecomm.net
    ICQ#30864971
    AIM: Firecadet613

robbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

first i,m a paid firefighter in a career dept. and we have our places on the truck... capt.,driver as well as us hose pullers, i am also a volunteer fire fighter with the rank of capt. on our truck jrs. cant ride on open cab trucks but the trucks they can ride are the 4-doors we have no set rules other they cant drive the rigs my men usually allow me to ride in the officers seat out of respect but i have been known to let not only firefighters but also jrs. to ride up front to me its just a seat and we will all get there at the same time and i will be the IC of the scene.

Eng91ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Under normal circumstances jr.'s should not be allowed to ride in the jump seat or in the officer's seat due to insurace liabilty. I just compleated my 2-year tour of being a jr f/f (hated every minute of it), and my company's policy is that jr's can't ride jump seat or officer's seat, unless otherwise stated by a officer. However, this rule was frequently bent due to the fact that i was the only jr. I usually rode officer seat on our 2nd due engine, because there is not a pack in the officer seat and the officer in charge would ride first out. This experience of rideing officer seat gave me valuble experience in the ICS (not running but obeying command) and the accountibility system.

Personally speaking after being a jr., i think the jr's should be allowed to ride, as long as its safe and approved by the officer in charge. Becuase you can't learn anything sitting at the firehouse. And if your going to ride in the officer's seat you should know how to run the radio, siren (not screaming all the way to the call), etc.

PS: A truck/engine/rescue SHOULD NOT respond fist due if only a driver and a jr are the crew!!

st34ff
    Firehouse.com Guest

The way my company operates is the Jr can ride in any postion (execpt drive) if there is no one else qualified to take that seat. If there is an officer and a Jr, they can take the truck out. the officer will drive and tell the Jr what orders to give over the radio to other units. doesn't happend, but it can.

Kyle

nfd20
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think its a good idea to have a jr ff to ride in the officers seat if no superior member is around..It gives them a great exp. of what its like up front which often is a great motivator..it was for me!

------------------
    First In, Last Out; Never Leave a man Behind!

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've been i junior firefighter for two years now and am one of the more dedicated juniors to my company(s) that i run with. I will admit that i have jumped in the officers seat several times in situations where a company or chief was screaming for water. the reason i did this was not because i wanted to get all the glory and get to play with the sirens it was because i know what to do in a situtation if one occurs.
    i see know problem at letting junior firefighters ride up front of an apparatus as long as they can do the following:
    1.) Correctly and profesionally use radios,
    2.) Correctly use the siren,
    3.) Have leadership and great communication skills with the others,
    4.) Know basically what and when to do the right thing.

like i said before as long as a junior can do these why shouldn't he or she be allowed to ride up front providing that there is no officer or higher trained personnel on the truck.

Sincerly yours,
    Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    (FIREFIGHTER)

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Maybe we are reading too much into the subject matter. If there is an empty "right seat" in my engine, a cadet is welcome to ride there. KEY WORD "ride". He or she is not an officer, and knows that. They don't (and wouldn't) do any communications. That is not a cadet's job. Most cadets realize that they are valuable assets, but they also know that they do not have the experience to make calls en-route to an incident. By the way OCFireEXP, get off your high horse. We are ALL members of REAL fire departments, and I hope you learn to represent your department better than cutting down other agencies. You haven't been around long enough to even think you are better than your brothers and sisters in fire. I've been at this job for over 20 years and I have nothing but RESPECT for all departments, big, small, career, or volunteer. We all do the same job.

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

Thread Information