Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    backdraft11
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Explor vs. Junior

I am currently in an Explorer program but the other Explorers and I are alittle upset with the lack of activities we can perform because of the Boy Scout rules. So I am trying to find information about starting a Junior Firefighting program but am unable to find any info that I could give to our Advisors. I am also trying to find out if becoming a Junior Firefighter would allow us to do more than we are currently allowed to. If you could give a link or a web page where I would be able to get some information I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

OFD95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Well, you are not the first Explorer that has come under BSA rules that I have heard complaining about the duties that they are allowed to perform. An offical Junior Program would be governed by your department and the advisor would be one of your officers(Training Officer). Juniors members with my department are considered "exterior firefighters" meaning that we perform any of the duties outside of the fire building. Of course this does not come without the proper training on all department equipment and apparatus. I do beleive that this is more than some Explorer Posts allow, since you would be under the rule of your department. I am not currently aware of any junior FF sites. For further details please contact me via email...Hope some of this helps.

BigBoss
    Firehouse.com Guest

As an advisor to our explorer post, I understand what you are saying about BSA rules and do not blame you for wanting to start a Junior Program.

First you MUST check with the administration of the department who, if the department is owned by the municipality, MUST check with the administration of that entity to determime whether you would be covered under their insurance.

When our post was started almost 10 years ago, it was done so as our village's insurance would NOT cover a junior program.

Even if it did - we would not allow jr to respond to calls - this is a thing of mine I do know of departments that have members as young as 16 and they do interior work. I must ask in a state that you have to be 18 to operate a meat slicer in a deli - why is a 16 year old allowed inside a burning structure???

In any event - good luck with your program.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I'm a big fan of Junior FF programs (I started as a junior, as did many of our current senior Engine Crew members). I don't know the Explorer rules, but I gather that they are quite restrictive. I'll try to give you at least a little help.

>> I am also trying to find out if becoming a Junior Firefighter would allow us to do more than we are currently allowed to. <<

That may depend on one or more of: state law/regulations, insurance company rules, municipal ordinances, company SOP/SOGs, and other factors. Here in PA, the state "Child Labor Laws" dictate what juniors can and can't do both in training and on the fireground. Without getting into all sorts of details, 14-15 year olds are pretty much just gophers everywhere. 16-17 year-olds can do almost anything but operate apparatus under controlled training situations and anything that does not put them directly in a "hazardous atmosphere" or involve operating power tools and apparatus on the fireground. Your Chief/officers would have to research these things for you if they were interested in switching to a Juniors program. We also have additional SOGs pertaining to Juniors (where/when they can ride on apparatus, etc.). It works out very close to OFD95's "exterior firefighter" concept.

>>> Even if it did - we would not allow jr to respond to calls <<<

Actually, I think that giving Juniors some fireground experience is valuable, as long as their roles are clearly defined and appropriate for their age/experience, and these situations are well controlled and supervised.

>>> this is a thing of mine I do know of departments that have members as young as 16 and they do interior work. <<<

Now, this is a totally different thing...

>>> I must ask in a state that you have to be 18 to operate a meat slicer in a deli - why is a 16 year old allowed inside a burning structure??? <<<

Um...Because the people in charge are either really irresponsible or completely insane???

Thread Information