futureff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry junior firefighter program

I want to be a firefighter when I'm older. My fire Department doens't have I so much want them to. I'm 12 year old and I'm female, Who would I go to, to ask about starting it.

[This message has been edited by futureff (edited March 22, 2000).]

jrff1
    Firehouse.com Guest

here ya go man, call the fire house and ask for the president to call you. then after he calls you tell him about your concerns and interest. trust me, it works. that's how i got our program goin. GOOD LUCK!

FGFD43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Another thing you can do is talk to your friends. If the dept. sees that there are several young people interested in the area, not just one, they will probably be more interested in helping out. Also, let the chief or pres. at the local dept. know why you are interested. Show them your not just some kid who wants to have a red light. If you know any of the members(assuming your station is vol.), telling them about your idea might get something going. Good Luck. If you need any help with rules or other questions, e-mail me and I will send you a copy of the by-laws and SOGs from our dept.

------------------
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

BigBoss
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with FGFD - talk to your friends - and see if they are interested. The more to get started the better.

We are the first Explorer Post in the State for the Fire Service formed almost 10 years ago and the only that has remained continously active since being chartered. Granted we have had our ups and downs but right now have about 10 members. It is often hard to keep the members interested, but if you and 2 or 3 others want to get started should not be a problem.

If it is either career or volly, if you have friends whose has a parent on the department that would be a big help.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of assistance

------------------
    Brian K. Savage
    Fire Commissioner
    Swanton, VT

McF 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Have to agree with the other guys, what makes a post happen is the explorers. I know as one of the advisors for our explorer post it is much easier to convice poeple to help out in the post when you got a lot of members. If you want a copy of our by-laws or any questions I can answer, email me

Chris Dennis
    Explorer Post Advisor
    McFarland Fire Dept.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    giffor@itis.com

firelafrance
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is it with all these girl's wanting to become firefighters? What is this world turning to? It all started out with men why women there place is in the home. Not in the fire service leave the saving to us the men!

------------------
    fortunecookie44@hotmail.com

Ryan

jrfemaleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

OK. Here goes. I think you should GO FOR IT! If it is where you'r heart is then you can make it happen.
    And As for firelafrance, I'm a female and a firefighter. And a pretty damn good one at that. Females are no different than males when it comes to this. WE are both here to save lives. I can do it and so can you.

E-Mail me if you need anything.
    Malloryhumm@yahoo.com

-Mallory-
    "I am Female Firefighter, Hear me ROAR!"

wannabe-EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Futureff, I can only say this: give it all you got. Follow the advice everyone else has posted. And remember, even if the department doesn't have a junior/cadet/explorer program, see if they'd mind you hanging around, observing and learning. Every bit of experience helps. Feel free to drop me an email, too, if there's anything you may want to discuss. I'll do my best to answer any questions.

Now, that being said, let me say something else: On the contrary, firelafrance. I can think of numerous reasons being a female firefighter could be a plus, just from a tactics and operations standpoint.

Females are generally smaller and lighter. Helpful for unstable situations like roofs, easier to maneuver in confined spaces, through windows, in crawlspaces and attics, etc. (No, I am NOT saying send females to their slaughter, so don't think that I am.)

Smaller hands, helpful for reaching into small spaces or doing EMS work.

Females are, well, females. If I were on an EMS call for a sexual assault or rape or such, I would be looking around for a female firefighter/EMT to bring with me. Firstly, it may help calm the lawyers worried about being sued for improper acts, and secondly, I'm sure the patient would feel better with someone of their own gender attending.

They have that uncanny yet amazing ability to calm almost any screaming child. The soothing voice, the mother's instinct, I don't know, but it works.

Not all females are weak. I know females who are stronger than me.

Females can do most anything as well as men, and some things better. Don't be so quick to say they don't belong in the fire service. I realize tradition may be hard to break, but let's face it, it's the year 2000. More women are in the work force than ever. It's not about staying home pregnant and barefoot and cooking for the husband anymore.

When you go into a fire or any other situation, you have to depend on who's in there with you, no matter their gender, race, religion, etc. You put on that turnout suit and SCBA, no one can tell whether you're male or female, and probably won't care, either. There's a job to do, and if you and your partner can do it, then that's all there is to it.

Besides, you may be surprised if you get your rear pulled out of a nice and toasty flashover or pulled away from a collapsing floor, and you get outside to see your rescuer take off his helmet and mask. And he's actually a she.

Think about this next time you go into a hazardous situation, 'cause for all you know, ten or fifteen years down the road, futureff could be pulling your rear out of there when the stuff hits the fan. Might be singing a different song then, eh?

Peace, and stay safe.

Adam
    Firehouse.com Guest

i agree that u should ask around and see if there are any other young people insrested. You also need to dicide if u want a cadet, explore or junior program because each program is differnt. Like w/ the cadets and jrs can ride the aperatus to a call and the explore program is like the boyscouts. So see if there is any other people instersted and discide what type of program, u want to have in your town. If you have any questions about a program or the one that im in e-mail me.
    Fire Cadet
    Adam

Thread Information