Thread: Fav Light Bar

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by BFDPerez
    Your better off driving like an A--hole with out blue lights, because with the lights now your an A--hole fireman, and they can cause you more trouble then there worth.
    Or perhaps you could consider not driving like an @$$hole at all?
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

I agree. I think you should only be given a blue light permit under the conditions of:
    1. Being a SAFE and LEVELHEADED driver. Alot of guys I know drive like maniacs and get p***ed off when somebody doesn't get out of their way for their pickup.
    2. Being a non-probationary/junior/cadet, etc... firefighter. Honestly, I do run a blue light. I have an undercover LED dashlight (low pro lightbar-$500 thru Galls) and I hardly ever use it. I am currently Capt. of my rescue squad's jr prog. and the chief of my FD's prog. I only used my bar 3x in the last 6 weeks. All 3 were for MVA entrap. during rush hour.

I know I dug myself into a hole, kinda, but I am a SAFE, I repeat SAFE driver.

Forum Member

the federal aerodyne is the the best

Default Oh Wow

OH WOW we have big bad firemen that pick on young motivated jr ffs cause they like lightbars. You whacker bashers need to get a life. I know the only really good fire fighters out there are the ones that dont respond using lights. Ya right on what planet? yours! get a life

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDoc8404 View Post
    OH WOW we have big bad firemen that pick on young motivated jr ffs cause they like lightbars. You whacker bashers need to get a life. I know the only really good fire fighters out there are the ones that dont respond using lights. Ya right on what planet? yours! get a life
    Did you really have to bring this back? Heres a hint, look at the frickin date before you revive a thread.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

WTF? First of all read the date and second of all, I'm not sure if you are a "big bad fireman" or a "big bad explorer", but regardless, is there a reason for the attitude?
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

You brought back a two year old thread just to give people a little slap on the wrist. Well done.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 09-29-2008 at 10:23 PM.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Default oh well

I just started reading these threads and started to see this trend of people attacking any one who said lights. my bad for not reading all the way through the thread. Im about to buy a smart vector for my cherokee. I have seen a few pics of the bar on a cherokee and really liked it. The whole smart pod thing is kinda neat. Oh and so you all know where Im coming from Im a volly ff and a SAR K9 handler with the county. Im a navy corpsman in the reserves aswell.
    Fire superiority is the best medicine. Corpsman UP!

makes good girls go bad

Good job. Out of your 3 posts, they have been about wackers and lights.

On the right track my friend!
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Well,if we're going to bring back a two year old thread,here's a few questions I'd like answered by the Explorers:
    1.What are Explorers doing with light bars in the first place?When I joined my old department in 2003,the policy was that you waited 6 months before you could apply to have lights authorized by the Chief.This was for full members and was to get you through the in-house probie training and allowed time to see how you drive POV without lights before trusting you with something that could give the department a bad name if misused.
    I don't even like Explorers getting full turnout gear or the idea of letting them make entry.Let the kids handle rehab passing out drinks and Scooby snacks or gofer tools to hand off at the cold/warm zone border.They can make entry after they turn 18 and become burnable.

2.Where are they getting $500 for light bars?If I'd asked my Dad for $500 when I was 16,I'd still be trying to get his foot out of my butt.

3.How much does your insurance increase by adding lightbars?I know,you could just not tell them ;; ,but if you get in an accident(and lots of teenagers do)the insurance company WILL find out if you have them and if you were running them at the time.That will make your insurance rate go up no matter what Dennis Haysbert says while Casey Khane is outrunning his stalkers.

Forum Member

My favorite lightbar: Any one that a junior or explorer is not allowed to have.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    Well,if we're going to bring back a two year old thread,here's a few questions I'd like answered by the Explorers:
    1.What are Explorers doing with light bars in the first place?When I joined my old department in 2003,the policy was that you waited 6 months before you could apply to have lights authorized by the Chief.This was for full members and was to get you through the in-house probie training and allowed time to see how you drive POV without lights before trusting you with something that could give the department a bad name if misused.
    I don't even like Explorers getting full turnout gear or the idea of letting them make entry.Let the kids handle rehab passing out drinks and Scooby snacks or gofer tools to hand off at the cold/warm zone border.They can make entry after they turn 18 and become burnable.

2.Where are they getting $500 for light bars?If I'd asked my Dad for $500 when I was 16,I'd still be trying to get his foot out of my butt.

3.How much does your insurance increase by adding lightbars?I know,you could just not tell them ;; ,but if you get in an accident(and lots of teenagers do)the insurance company WILL find out if you have them and if you were running them at the time.That will make your insurance rate go up no matter what Dennis Haysbert says while Casey Khane is outrunning his stalkers.
    I'll answer you questions.
    1. Explorers don't need light bars for no reason and many don't.
    (I disagree with you about the explorers getting full turnouts, I think its a good thing but its a novelity not a necessity.)
    2. You'd be suprised what kind ofexpensive things kids buy these day with thier parents money.
    3. I have no clue as to how much the insurance would increase but my insurance a year is $2,200 extra if I don't get 80's in school and if I do then its $1,000, so if a explorer had a lightbar it would probally be alot of money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FDNYexp6012 View Post
    I'll answer you questions.
    3. I have no clue as to how much the insurance would increase but my insurance a year is $2,200 extra if I don't get 80's in school and if I do then its $1,000, so if a explorer had a lightbar it would probally be alot of money.
    What the heck. You get cheaper insurance if you do good in school?? Or do you mean your parents pay more or less depending on how well you do??
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Permanently Removed

Here, I found it....a whackers heaven video....www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkumxfTNE1U

Forum Member

I got a good student discount through high school and college. There is a correlation between grades and driving, believe it or not. Generally, students who work to get good grades or care enough to pay attention in school are more responsible/mature. This usually parlays behind the wheel too... responsible/mature in one case, generally responsible/mature in most cases.
    The opinions I post to these forums do not represent any entity to which I am affiliated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    What the heck. You get cheaper insurance if you do good in school?? Or do you mean your parents pay more or less depending on how well you do??
    Yea if I get 80's or above in my classes my insurance drops a whole lot of money. I guess they want to see if im mature.

Forum Member

Yeah I get it too I believe.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Yea if I get 80's or above in my classes my insurance drops a whole lot of money. I guess they want to see if im mature.
    Quote Originally Posted by RFRDxplorer
    Yeah I get it too I believe.
    Son of a b**ch. That would have been nice to have during school while I was paying out the *** for car insurance. I've never heard of anything like that north of the border.

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Son of a b**ch. That would have been nice to have during school while I was paying out the *** for car insurance. I've never heard of anything like that north of the border.
    I got that deal during High School and College, more beer money
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Forum Member

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    I think you mean more ''milk'' money.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ccfdblehman View Post
    I got a good student discount through high school and college. There is a correlation between grades and driving, believe it or not. Generally, students who work to get good grades or care enough to pay attention in school are more responsible/mature. This usually parlays behind the wheel too... responsible/mature in one case, generally responsible/mature in most cases.
    If you're in college and STILL an Explorer,why hasn't your department given you the opportunity for full membership?(This mostly applies to Explorers sponsored by a volunteer department.)What does that say about their opinion on you as a potential firefighter?
    So,do your parents pay for your insurance and car note?What opinion do they have of you buying and mounting light bars on the vehicle that they are paying for?
    One of the explanations for good student discounts is that because they are spending more time on the books getting those good grades,they are not behind the wheel as much in the highest at risk age bracket.
    What do you think an Explorer driving excitedly to the station or to the scene is doing?Is he/she thinking about driving safely or about the "save" he might get to make resulting in the "Hero's Reward" from the hottest girl at school when she hears about it?
    Last edited by doughesson; 10-03-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    If you're in college and STILL an Explorer,why hasn't your department given you the opportunity for full membership?(This mostly applies to Explorers sponsored by a volunteer department.)What does that say about their opinion on you as a potential firefighter?
    So,do your parents pay for your insurance and car note?What opinion do they have of you buying and mounting light bars on the vehicle that they are paying for?
    One of the explanations for good student discounts is that because they are spending more time on the books getting those good grades,they are not behind the wheel as much in the highest at risk age bracket.
    What do you think an Explorer driving excitedly to the station or to the scene is doing?Is he/she thinking about driving safely or about the "save" he might get to make resulting in the "Hero's Reward" from the hottest girl at school when she hears about it?
    I don't get why your asking him these questions. He didn't say anything about mounting a lightbar on his car. And why are you questioning his department's view towards him, he could be a explorer on a department whose age requirement is 21 and he never stated that he was a explorer in the first place.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusKspn View Post
    That is always a bonus too.

Ryan

Forum Member

I don't get why your asking him these questions. He didn't say anything about mounting a lightbar on his car. And why are you questioning his department's view towards him, he could be a explorer on a department whose age requirement is 21 and he never stated that he was a explorer in the first place.
    At my old department,if you were under 18,you weren't burnable and could not make entries or work in the hot zone of an extrication scene or do more than hold doors at a medical call.
    Over 18,you were fair game.I thought all Explorers with a volunteer department were eligible for full membership at that time.At least I've never heard of a department allowing people in the Explorer program(an offshoot of Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America)above the age of 18.
    He was responding to remarks made about insurance rates on a vehicle equipped with lights and siren with "I got a good student discount through high school and college.." which lead me to believe that he was still an Explorer over the age I am familar with,still livng at home and such.
    The questions are still valid: if you are an Explorer Scout and your folks are paying for the car and insurance,why would you want to increase the premiums by adding lights and siren?The insurance people will learn of it and that WILL jack up the rates.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Nope................

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Here, I found it....a whackers heaven video....www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkumxfTNE1U

Bou - That does NOT beat the Dodge 4X4 pickup that I saw in Ohio. Besides the lights, the guy had a Q on it........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information