Thread: Big fires

Capt. Pope
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Big fires

How many HUGE fires have you been on?
    Give details, and if you can, post a picture!

[This message has been edited by Capt. Pope (edited February 28, 2000).]

calpyro
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello,
    I am a Captain with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection and I am an instructor with the California Fire Explorers Academy. I enjoy working with the NEXT generation of Firefighters.
    Well to the point...
    I was a strike team leader of CDF engines on the Oakland Hills Fire of October 20, 1991, where a major wildland/urban interface fire that killed 25 people including a police officer and a fire fighter, injured 150 others, destroyed nearly 2,449 single-family dwellings, 437 apartment and condominium units, burned over 1,600 acres, and did an estimated $1.5 billion in damage. The fire was pushed by fierce winds that averaged 20 miles per hour and gusted up to 35-50 miles per hour. The flames then fed on the unbroken chain of dry vegetation and the combustible construction materials of the homes. The fire was virtually out of control within only a few minutes of its start and burned for over 24 hours.
    My strike team,(5 CDF Engines) was overrun by fire several times while we attempted to save homes and trapped residents. In total we fought fire continuously for 29 hours, saved approximately 21 homes, lost 40+houses and apartments, rescued 4 trapped people and 2 dogs. The weirdest moments of the fire was our Code 3 run back into town where we drove around without a map for 10 minutes looking for Diesel.
    I hope that any of you FIREFIGHTERS never have to go to a fire like this in your career, too many people were killed and lost everything.
    See some of you ant the 26th Annual Fire explorers Academy!
    Calpyro

Thread Information