Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Radios

explorer36
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Radios

Hey,
    I was wondering if any of the post out there have their own radios that they use for training or other activites? Thanks.

Joe
    President - WHTFC Explorers

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

joe-
    Explorers rarely have to use radios, at least at our post. If at any time we need them, our county has channels for municipal use and we could then just use the departments radios. At calls, we usually don't use the radios, unless an advisor tells us we can report back to dispatcher our status.
    Joe,
    NRFR, EMT-W trainee, explorer
    MFD, KFD, Roger's Rangers-EMS

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

joe-
    Explorers rarely have to use radios, at least at our post. If at any time we need them, our county has channels for municipal use and we could then just use the departments radios. At calls, we usually don't use the radios, unless an advisor tells us we can report back to dispatcher our status.
    Joe,
    NRFR, EMT-W trainee, explorer
    MFD, KFD, Roger's Rangers-EMS

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

On a typical run, the officer, driver, and various crew members will operate radios. Juniors (or explorers) will only operate radios when there are no officers or regular members on board. Just recently we had a drill that reviewed radio usage and protocol.

Imaff4free
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm the advisor of our departments Explorer post and this is my opinion,

Our Explorers play a large role on the fire scene they have to many responsibilities to even think about using a radio, they have an advisor with them that has radio communication. The Explorers stay busy at the staging area/rehab, Explorers are the ones who will keep the active FF's SCBA tanks changed,get the tools needed,drinks,food,and everything else a FF may need. Explorers have their own unit numbers like any other member of the dept.,because they are members of our dept.. The advisor is there for their safety and guidance, not as the (bossman)our Explorers work well together on the scene. I would like to someday to have RX only radios so they can hear all traffic. I train all Explorers on radio protocals, the essentials of Fire Fighting,rescue,and EMS. I always try to put myself in the place of the Explorers and see things from their point of view (sometimes I have to stop them and explain things--THE WHY'S)but I try to give them the guidance not the orders. TRAIN HARD,WORK HARD,and remember to play hard you can't get your youth back, and you'll be better off if you work together.
    Glad to see so many young adults interested in the fire service and ask the questions like yours, for now is the time to ask and not later.

Todd

Brian Book
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use talk about distance radios for use during training they work pretty well and are not that expensive. On firegrounds we usual dont have radios.

Cadet Capt BOOK

HFDPOST321
    Firehouse.com Guest

joe,

my post has about 8 radios that we use to communicate during carnivals and events. we are usually requested to direct traffic, so we keep in touch using those coordinating traffic flow and other things.

------------------
    Deputy Chief James Ulrich
    Hagerstown Fire Department Explorer Post 321

The opinions expressed here are my own and may not be those of my department.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my post, explorers use dept. radios during any explorer training or any event in which we participate in.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"I FIGHT what you FEAR."

titorobfiregod
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

our explorers buy FRS style radios. these are not in any way related with normal FD radios. they are, however, an excellent tool at training and functions.

------------------
    Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet!

[This message has been edited by titorobfiregod (edited August 28, 2000).]

MTFDEx5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yeah were allowed radios, but we only have 10 for 25 members, so therefor it goes bye rank...were allowed to use them on training exercises and they only have our third fire channel, first aid backup and our own explorer channels.....they help at fairgrounds etc....

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by Imaff4free:
    I'm the advisor of our departments Explorer post and this is my opinion,

Our Explorers play a large role on the fire scene they have to many responsibilities to even think about using a radio, they have an advisor with them that has radio communication. The Explorers stay busy at the staging area/rehab, Explorers are the ones who will keep the active FF's SCBA tanks changed,get the tools needed,drinks,food,and everything else a FF may need. Explorers have their own unit numbers like any other member of the dept.,because they are members of our dept.. The advisor is there for their safety and guidance, not as the (bossman)our Explorers work well together on the scene. I would like to someday to have RX only radios so they can hear all traffic. I train all Explorers on radio protocals, the essentials of Fire Fighting,rescue,and EMS. I always try to put myself in the place of the Explorers and see things from their point of view (sometimes I have to stop them and explain things--THE WHY'S)but I try to give them the guidance not the orders. TRAIN HARD,WORK HARD,and remember to play hard you can't get your youth back, and you'll be better off if you work together.
    Glad to see so many young adults interested in the fire service and ask the questions like yours, for now is the time to ask and not later.

Todd
    dude rx only radios are called hand held scanners

------------------
    Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Department
    Explorer post 2335

Thread Information