michael101184
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Scanners

If you were going to buy a scanner what type and model

------------------
    Michael Niesen

explorer36
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would go with a uniden....i like the older ones personally. You can go on Ebay and get them pretty cheap too! On the topic of channels it depends what you want to listen to....just fire dispatch get a 10 channel or something. I have have a 40 channel that works fine....I've had it for about 5 years.

Joe
    President - WHTFC Explorers

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Call me a wacker but here is what i got....

--> Uniden SportCat 100 Ch.
    --> Uniden (Desktop) 20 Ch.
    --> Radio Shack Mobile Scanner 150 Ch.

My favorite one is the SportCat, I have had it for about 6 years now. I do know that Uniden has come out with a new model where you can program a text title for each freq. so that when it stops, it would say "YourTown Fire" and not 154.1600

Happying Hunting....

[This message has been edited by JR95 (edited March 13, 2000).]

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Explorer36 and JR95 are right. Uniden is probably the best ones out there. Radio shack is good quality. I have a uniden home scanner and a radio shack car scanner and they both have never given me any trouble.
    Joe,
    NRFR, EMT-W trainee, explorer
    MFD, KFD, Roger's Rangers-EMS

McCall
    Firehouse.com Guest

Uniden is great. I have two of their scanners, and have had no problems that I couldn't fix. I have a 30 channel portable scanner, and a 200 channel base model.

Beware, though. In many states it is illegal for people to possess scanners in their vehicles w/o proper licensing.

Check with your Motor Vehicle Dept. before carrying it in your car. Here in NY, due to scanner's being able to monitor police freqs., it is a class E felony to possess it without a permit. And usually being a member of a fire dept. won't cut it. You must be fire police or have some law enforcement affiliation before they will grant you a permit.

Stay Safe,

Terry McCall
    Marbletown FD
    SAVAC of Oswego

The opinions expressed are my one, and in no way reflect upon my respective departments.

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a bearcat in my room...soon enough when i get the $ im gonna get a scanner in the car that way i can hear ALS dispatch talling the Medic unit what the call is when im booking to an ambulance call...JR95 what town are you with? the only channel you need on a scanner in bergen counth in 154.160...lol

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    ~Junior Fire Fighter-NMFD Co.2
    ~EMT-B-NMVAC
    ~Ex-Chief Fire/EMS Explorer Post 402
    New Milford,NJ

"Species come and go, but the earth stands forever fast. All river runs towards the sea, but the sea is never full"-In Flames

Chris Deyerle
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I got a Radio Shack PRO-91 150 Channel with trunking on it. It is a nice scanner. I used like a fire pager until i got mine. I think I bought it for like 180 $$. So good luck on what ever you get. PLus its a nice hand held to.

------------------
    Chris Deyerle

[This message has been edited by Chris Deyerle (edited March 21, 2000).]

Thread Information