Thread: Probies!

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Probies!

I want to know what it's like for probies/explorers/cadets on your department. My departmnet treats me like a firefighter. They all know who seriouse I am, and they really care about me. So, how is it for you?

------------------
    You start 'em, we fight 'em.

Smile, It will improve your looks

[This message has been edited by HotProbieJunior (edited May 31, 2000).]

firecadet613
    Firehouse.com Guest

They pretty much treat me as a regular firefighter, it's just that I'm limited as to what I can do.

P.S. It's You light 'em, we fight 'em, not start.

------------------
    Joe E. Thomson
    tttennis@corecomm.net
    ICQ#30864971
    AIM: Firecadet613

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

My deputy chief says it the way I wrote it. I had heard it the way you wrote it, but I wanted to put it in Bruces words.

If I sound rude, I'm sorry. I'm haveing a bad couple of weeks.

firecadet613
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's ok, I've just never heard it said that way.

------------------
    Joe E. Thomson
    tttennis@corecomm.net
    ICQ#30864971
    AIM: Firecadet613

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Thanks for understanding.

firefighter421
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

They treat me as if I am a normal, paid on call firefighter. Nobody on the department treats me as a child or as someone who wants to "play" firefighter. To them I am as much as a firefighter as they are. Just with some restrictions.

Jonathan Reed
    firefighter421@hotmail.com

NFPDcadet
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

my department doesn't treat me well at all, well atleast some of them don't... Not all of them do it. A few captains and fire fighters are my friends and help me out, so I have some friends. But a lot of them say that I am just some kid who wants to play fire fighter. I want to be a fire fighter more than anything in the world. I am the only cadet who has passed evaluation right now, and I completed all of it in a week and a half not including a weeks suspension for making a stupid mistake.... But they don't treat me as an equal... I get to do all the **** jobs and it really gets tiring... They treat me like a piece of **** that they just wiped off their shoe. I won't quit though, I want to do this and no one is gonna keep me down. Plus there is no department around for miles that has a cadet program. I need some tips on how to deal with it. They just don't realize how much I look up to them and want to be like them. I can't understand why they have to treat me like i'm different from them. I wanna do the same job as them and I bust my *** twice as hard sometimes just to try and prove I can do it to them. I need some tips and any would be accepted...

NFD cadet
    Nixa Fire Protection District
    Nixa, MO roadblocknfd@hotmail.com

------------------
    Cadet Vol. Adam Spencer
    Nixa Fire Protection Dis.
    Nixa, MO 65721

jrfemaleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

NFD cadet,
    STICK WITH IT! Don't ever give up. If you really want to be a firefighter, show them. Do it. I am one of only 3 females in my company, and a Jr Firefighter. You can only imagine how much I get S***ed on and all the S*** jobe I get also. Just do them as best as you can. You can only get respect and to the top by work. I go in there every Tuesday AND every Thursday AND whenever we get a call, 2:00 in the morning and all. It seems like nothing is ever good enough for them. The truth is, I can run circles and fight fires around some of the guys in my company. If this is really what you want to do, don't let ANYONE stop you. You will always have struggles but don't let them scare you away from something you love. Keep at it and one day...the fire service will change and you will be excepted for you as will I. If you need to talk or anything, let me know. Keep in touch and stay safe.
    Good Luck, Mallory

jrfemaleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

NFD cadet,
    STICK WITH IT! Don't ever give up. If you really want to be a firefighter, show them. Do it. I am one of only 3 females in my company, and a Jr Firefighter. You can only imagine how much I get S***ed on and all the S*** jobe I get also. Just do them as best as you can. You can only get respect and to the top by work. I go in there every Tuesday AND every Thursday AND whenever we get a call, 2:00 in the morning and all. It seems like nothing is ever good enough for them. The truth is, I can run circles and fight fires around some of the guys in my company. If this is really what you want to do, don't let ANYONE stop you. You will always have struggles but don't let them scare you away from something you love. Keep at it and one day...the fire service will change and you will be excepted for you as will I. If you need to talk or anything, let me know. Keep in touch and stay safe.
    Good Luck, Mallory

------------------
    Get A Life...
    A Firefighter's life...
    Nothing Else Matters.

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

NFPD and jrfemaleff,
    I understand our frustraton. A friend of mine and I were told we couldn't join a dept. because we were female. I agree that you need to stick with it, but you also need to be patient. Everyone has to get the crappy jobs, and deal with the tough stuff once in a while, and all of the people doing this to you two have been through it too. I'll almost garentee it. Some day you will be the higher ranking people, and you will give it to the new guys too. It's like High School; when you're a freshmen, you get treated like crap, when you're a senior, you treat the freshmen like crap. Not everyone does, but it happens. I am truly sorry you two aren't having a good time at your stations.
    Mallory, I have to say that I don't think it's the fire services fault that some people think it's a good idea to be tough as nails on the Juniors/Cadets/Explorers. The service will most likely never change, and that's all right, because it isn't a bad thing. Some of the people in it are going to change or leave, and you will both change too. When that all happens, your sercustances will change.
    -Melissa-

jrfemaleff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Melissa,
    I wasn't trying to make it sound like the fault of the fire service. Sorry if I offended anyone. Ididn't mean to. What I meant was, that as soon as females can prove that they can do the job, then I think that everyone's opinion may change on their view of us. I am more than wiling to change, which I have done alot of already, for the job that I love so much. Thank you for all your opinions and views on the situation. Keep in touch. Stay safe everyone.
    -Mallory-

westmead2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I think that anyone that discriminates against women in the fire service doesn't belong in the service them selves. If the women can prove that they can do what needs to be done...more power to them, they deserve it. I've been a department or about 1 1/2 years, I'm 15 now and I have been treated like a son since day 1. They tought me and encouraged me, and because of them I'm now better trained than many of the less dedicated adults (ever notice that kids tend to do things with much more enthusiasm than adults??) I think the attitude of most fire fighters is based on your attitude. Keep tryin and I'm sure you'll find acceptance when you woop some of the guys butts (had it happen) in training.

If firefighters went to hell, they'd just put it out.

Dave "Junior" Marshall

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I'm sorry Mallory if I offended you. I agree with the point you have made. I must have misunderstood you the first time.

Westmead, I agree with you, and I'm glad your dept. treated you the same way mine treated me.

-Melissa-

------------------
    You start 'em, we fight 'em.

Smile, It will improve your looks

fire freak
    Firehouse.com Guest

My name is matt I'm 17 my department is really cool they treat me like all the other firefighters!!!

Inferno1741
    Firehouse.com Guest

Im a captain for the explorer post in joliet IL. We are treated as firefighters, but we still haze our probies. It lets them know we recognize them.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

NFPDcadet

Hang in there...In my opinion most of the members of your company that you speak of that give you the s*** attitude are trying to see what you are made of...You can't be thin skinned in the Fire-House be tough- hang in there and if they really get to you tell 'em to F*** off...Thats what I used to do it worked and they'll respect you more for it showing the fact you got a set of balls !!! If it is as bad as you say then of course see the President or the Chief and get it straightened out that way...I was in your shoes over 10 years ago and today I am a Senior Firefighter with my company and have the highest respect for the Jr./Cadet Firefighters who join-up after-all you'll be there puttin' 'Em out after all us old farts are washed out....Hope This helped and eased your tension a little bit !!! Stay Safe

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't mind people expressing their feelings in here, but please, PLEASE!, keep the language clean. I'd rather not have swareing in here so please avoid using it.

Thank-you,
    Melissa

Quint1Medic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah-y'all don't want people to think you're a bunch of potty-mouthed juniors

Keep your chins up-I'm an official grownup with an official job in a career fire department, and I still get picked on all the time.

As to your age-specific concerns:
    It's important to recognize the limits placed on you by your organization, regardless of how you feel about them. Whether you like it or not, somebody with a lot more pull than you put 'em there, and he's not likely to appreciate being challenged. It'll do you a lot more good to live by the rules for the short time you have to-three years isn't really that long, compared to an entire career.

If there is something that makes absolutely zero sense (and some of the type-of-response restrictions I've read about on the Forum look that way, from my limited perspective) take the time to research your position before approaching the authorities, rather than bellyaching about it to everybody else. The Powers That Be are going to hear about that, too - then, even if you do go through the trouble to do research, your position will be considerably weakened by the fact that you'll be seen as a snot-nosed kid, instead of someone who might have a good point.

Believe me, if you're putting in the effort to learn, keeping your mouth shut, and doing the job, people are noticing. Just don't bet on 'em saying anything about it!

[This message has been edited by Quint1Medic (edited May 31, 2000).]

HotProbieJunior
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Quint1Medic, I like what you have said. I have been trying to get that accross, but I guess I wasn't doing a very good job at it.

Melissa

NCRSQ751
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with Quint, and I'd like to add my 2 cents.

We have had young folks in the squad and I see that a lot of the 'Sr' folks just dismiss them or treat them like they aren't there. I do my best to correct that, but the thing that seems to work the best is asking them exactly what age they started at...most started as Juniors....

You need to give people a shot of reality and make them realize that everyone has to start somewhere.

What really works to gain acceptance? Asking lots of good questions, asking for extra training - even if they won't let you use the training they can let you sit in on the classes. When the Sr's are around do your best to soak up the knowledge.

What doesn't work and can hurt your case? Not taking advantage of training when it's offered, ANY safety violations or not paying attention to directions/orders, telling the Sr's how things SHOULD be done (even if you're right you won't win that one), acting like you know it all after 1 class (that pertains to anyone quite frankly) or just plain being lazy.

Male or female, those are some basic guidelines.

Do females have it worse? Depends on your department - I'm #2 to a male chief, my Lt. is female - I'd say in this department it's an even playing field, but that's not always the case.

If you have a problem with an chauvinistic group, hate to say it but it just means you have to work a little harder to prove that you are just as good. Fair? Nope, but who said life was fair? You'll benefit from that extra work more than they will.

------------------
    Susan Bednar
    Captain - Forsyth Rescue
    North Carolina Strike Force 1

fjbfour
    Firehouse.com Guest

My own thoughts.... I started at a disadvantage as a rabid juvenile fire buff who eventually managed to become a regular "adult" firefighter, if you will.

When I was younger, I was a little *too* involved, getting underfoot at the station. Some of the guys tried to nurture that and steer me, others got annoyed with me. This in a place without an explorer program, and I more or less lived at the station for a summer or two when I was 12-13 years old. Heck, I would have been annoyed with me, too. There were certain shift Captains that did not allow me in the house, and others who didn't care how often I was over. I did my fair share of work for the Captains that let me hang around.

My words of advice: Don't try too hard, because overdoing it tends to result in a few more mistakes. (We all know 1 aw crap = about 15 attaboys.) I'm not suggesting lay back, only to work as hard as you can, take pride in everything you do, give a little extra whenever possible, but don't try to attract attention by your actions. Be professional and consistent. Be noteworthy in actions, but blend in with your compatriots.

Flamboyance either in action or appearance will count as a strike against you whether deserved or not. Cockiness is a death sentence. Never act like you know the answers (even if you do) when discussing anything work related. Great advice is to ask the veterans around you about things. Ask about their experiences, or how they would handle a certain situation that you were faced with. Ask if they think you did the right thing and if not, how you could've done better. Assume the role of apprentice and make it clear you need their advice. It can be humbling, maybe even demeaning, but you will soon discover that they will support you because they feel needed and appreciated by you. Bonus: You will almost certainly learn a lot this way. It ain't easy, but it's worth it. And remember your position now when you become a veteran later.

------------------
    Frank Billington, #11
    Town of Superior Fire Online

Snackbar
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Back in 1982 I was a 16 year old probie. It was rough, we got the crap beat out of us. We had to sweep, mop, and clean the fire house everyday. When we would stay the night on weekends, the senior members would come into the bunk room, flip on the lights, make us get up and turn them off again, and as soon as we did, they would beat the crap out of us, or just throw a good old fasion blanket party. ( if you dont know what that is, dont ask the people at you fire house.)
    Cleaning the house and Engines had to be done, and I had to put my time in. I still to this day have to wash the engines and clean the house. Its part of life. I take pride in a clean engine and house.
    As for treating you like crap, there is no need for it. Our guys used to really beat the crap out of us. It was suppose to make us tough, "cause if you cant take that little beating, whats gonna happen on the fire ground?" <-- thier words, not mine.
    I guess my point is, I love doing what I do so much that I was willing to put up with anything to do it. Not that what they did to me, or do to you is right.Plus, I think there are laws against it now.
    Hold your chins up, dont ever let em see you mad, or angry. And remember what you didnt like about being a probie, when you are no longer one, and the new ones are under you...
    Be safe and be strong

------------------
    Mammoo

Firefighter2197
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

as a ff who is comeing off 2 yrs as a jr,and still haveing to do a 6 month probation ( it ends nov. 11 00) I say stick to your guns and you will be reconized and get to do what you want to
    good luck
    2197 Bradley
    Stay Safe and Have Fun

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

On my department I pretty much get treated all right(one of the old guys threatend to shave my head a couple of times,due to the fact that my hair is purple)and some times the residents try to stick me with the dishes
    after drill.
    My bet is that some of the guys are testing you,and some are just being jerks.
    Prove 'em wrong,
    Althea

20-40
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

My department treats my fairly well. Of course, there are lots of limitations of the things that I can't do that I want to, but that's okay. The way I look at it my time will come. When I first joined, a lot of the guys thought it was kind of a joke, because there was nothing I could really do until I turn 18. But in the four months I've been with my department, I've busted my ***, and it's really paid off. By doing lots of extra stuff that needed to be done (even though I didn't realy want to) I was able to earn myself a pager, even before some of the senior firefighters have gotten them. Juniors aren't even supposed to get them. I also work Bingo every week, even though I don't have to, which I'll admit, sometimes it sucks, and sometimes those old ladies are a pain, but making your presence known and latting your officers know that you are willing to do all the grunt work until you can do the good stuff really pays off. For you guys/girls that have problems at your departments, STICK WITH IT. Bust your *** and show them that you're a vluable resoure to the department, and you'll earn respect real quick. And prove to everybody that you want to learn as much as possible. Take every single class you can. Ask questions. Show them you want to be the best FF you can be.

[This message has been edited by 20-40 (edited August 02, 2000).]

Thread Information