engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

DO I HAVE TO CONTINUE REPEATING MYSELF??!! If every one that posted here READ the whole thing then I would have to do this. You can't transmit a request on a scanner OR a confirmation. Of course you can hear them, but they can't hear you.

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

what in the hell are you asking then? come flat out and FUKIN ASK IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT, WHAT, WHAT???????

Yes, my dept. has portables (handie-talkies) that we can talk to each other on in town, and transmit necessary information - but NOT BY JRS / EXPLORERS!!!!!! Why in God's name would they need to have a 2-way radio EVER with the exception of training?!?!?!?!?! Isn't that what this forum is gearing towards (jrs/explrs?)

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Do I have to draw you a picture?

If I did, it would look something like this:

Explorers and fire fighters on the scene of a big fire... The command officer gives an assignment to an Explorer, who has no radio :-(.. Then a more urget matter arises that requires go-fers.. but Command can't contact the Explorer because he has no radio... So he sends 2 fire fighters to find him... Meanwhile, a matter arises that requires more fire fighters, but they are short handed because there are guys out looking for this Explorer when if he had a radio could have prevented all this from happening.

By the way, I use stick figures and crayons...

R.J.

Since my dept. is paid and no one has a pager and all FF are issued there own Walkie-Talkie which they are required to have on 24/7. There are 4 spare portables in the desk area and if i am sent out to go pick-up food i can take one (all the FF's are cool with that even one capt. lets me carry it when i am on duty just dont let the cheif see) But at a Fire Scene or Mutual Aid or another complex incident there is 1 portable that has a headset connectted to it no one uses the headset and i just pull off the head set. Even the cheif dont have a problem with that.
    Kevin the Explorer

Around here juniors only need a radio when we opperate the hydrant and then we give it to a person who really needs it on the fireground.

At my station, my captain usually grabs a CB for me especcialy if I'm going with him solo to a still or something. I also got my own CB from my parents for my birthday but it's only one-way (you can't talk into it) but it's good to listen to for calls since my department didn't give me a pager. A think it's from radio shack and it has 10 banks-20 channels in each bank-and a total of 200 channels all together!

I think what your talking about is portable radios w/ fire ground communications that your cheif carries. WHat you have from radio shack is a scanner. Fire dispatch is TOTALLY different from CB or Citizens band.

In my City, we are dispatched along with MANY other cities in the Phoenix area. All but three cities are with us, so there is TOO MUCH TRAFFIC!! so none of our Explorers get radios. However, there is an Explorer radio that we could use if needed. If we need one on the fire scene for anything, one of the FF's will give us theirs. (Each FF on the truck has one)
    In loving memory of our fallen Brothers and Sisters, FDNY

Thread Information