engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Radios in general

Does anybody out there have radios they can just up and take off the truck when on scene or off station? I'm writing a paper in order to get the FD here to buy us radios that we can take off the truck. I also need some kind of by law or order that I can quote from.

------------------
    Captain R.J. Stine
    XFD Post 29
    "The Fighting 29"

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Explorers in my department do not carry radios on the fireground. It would be an interseting idea though.
    ------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"I FIGHT what you FEAR."

[This message has been edited by SCAFDEXP (edited June 16, 2000).]

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our post is in the process of buying some FRS radios from radioshack. Not those goofy looking ones, but the good looking, formal ones. They run about $40 a piece. All of our explorers will have one and 2 advisors on the fire scene will have one. That way we can commmunicate and it's more efficient.
    Joe

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department does not have radio set aside from Junior Members. There are 3-4 portables per truck that can be used by anyone. Of course use would only been when needed. I have not been on a run yet where I needed to have a radio. (Have needed radio on Special Details and during Hurrican Floyd)

FutureFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I bought my own radio in a place up in new hampshire. its been doing pretty good so far its a good little portable thats wasnt all that exspensive and is smaller than most of the other radios that my towns police/fire/ambulance crews use. the best thing is I paid about $290!!! thats great for me. i also have a couple of little FRS ones

FutureFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I bought my own radio in a place up in new hampshire. its been doing pretty good so far its a good little portable thats wasnt all that exspensive and is smaller than most of the other radios that my towns police/fire/ambulance crews use. the best thing is I paid about $290!!! thats great for me. i also have a couple of little FRS ones

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

On ems we are allowed to use the squads MAIN portable radios...But that rarely happens since either driver or officer on the rig uses the radio. sometimes we are allowed to use them but we dont have to many cadets so in a way we really dont need Radios. On the fireground if a cadet is out on his own assisting FD in rehab or at a EvENT such as fireworks standby and needs to walk away for some reason they take the portable radio and only use it if necessary.

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

FireDeptAFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

On The Fireground, The Pump Operator's, Incident Command and safety officer have radio's to talk between trucks and Fire Controll. Radio's for Hydrant and interior teams come from our Rescue Truck and are stored on there along with 2 radios for Mutual aid department's on highband and lowband radio that are also stored on the rescue truck

EatHeat1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In our department there are about 4 on a rig and anyone can use them. But I think that Jr members that are on scene should have a pager or a radio so if something is needed the Jr member can get it for them.

[This message has been edited by EatHeat1 (edited 05-23-2001).]

Fireguy2000
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have two types of radios on the fire ground we have Motorola radios 1 channel for fireground use. Personal radio for all other uses off the firground I use a Vertex VX-10 portable. 102 channel 9 banks. I dont use ALL 102 Normally you wouldnt need that many channels but for the division of my dept we cover 27 cities & towns and each city has two channels so there are a lot of channels to cover

------------------
    **Thirst is a late sign of dehydration**

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

on our apparatus we have 4 radios, engineer's headset, cab radio, officer walkie, and hydrant walkie, juniors on my department can only use the hydrant walkie if they're on hydrant, or in the almost never occuring thing that a junior sits in the officers seat on like 3rd out, then we use the cab radio if needbe so the engineer can concentrate driving the truck, but if 3rd rolls with a cadet in the officer's seat chances are we're rolling under caution.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

LMfire
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think there is a need for Jr.'s or explorers to have radios on the fire scene. Not even all the firefighters have radios that are on the scene. The Explorers or Jr's should not be freelancing aroun dthe fire scene anyways where they will need a radio.

86Rescuetech
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have one question. Why do you need one? There is enough talk on the radio's now. Too many people have them and don't know how and when to use them. Communication is a great tool and is needed on all calls, but overuse happens too much. This comes from experience.

cmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

Everyone in my dept. gets a radio to carry home and keep with them. Since everyone has a radio we dont issue pagers. Our radio has the tone-alert feature thats like a pager.

We are a rural department and our central dispatch needs to know if someone is responding so that they can tone out more assistance if needed.

N2DFire
    Firehouse.com Guest

engine1321,

We recently placed 1 portable radio on our first out Engine. This is in conjunction with all line officers (5) also having a portable of their own. On the fire ground if a line officer is not engaged in a task requiring a radio - he (or she to be P.C.) will hand off the radio to whom ever may need it until the incident is over.

We are also looking to add more portables to our other trucks in the future (funds permitting).

To all others -
    Without picking names & quoting replies I would just like to state a few things:

- Experience is not equal to radio discipline I have Jr's with more radio discipline than some Line Officers.

- Having a radio doesn't automatically make you a freelancer (flip side - having a radio isn't a free pass to freelance either)

The "rule" of who carries a radio on the fire ground should be dictated by job assignment not by rank. Everyone should remember that not all Departments operate the same way & therefore what works for you may not work for them.

For Instance - My department has a small private college in it's first due area (less than a mile from the station in fact) & every year we pick up 1 or 2 students who want to run with us while they are in school (some are already certified and members of dept's back home). We gladly take these people, however due to the fact that they are not year round residents they get classified as Jr's by our By-Laws. Therefore it's not all that strange to have 21 year old, FF-II certified "Juniors" doing interior attack off the first in truck. Are they supposed to leave the portable on the truck because they're Jr's ? I hope not.

Just some thoughts on the subject. I respect your opinions and I hope you will respect mine.

Take Care - Stay Safe
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic (and Jr Advisor)

[This message has been edited by N2DFire (edited 05-22-2001).]

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

First of all, I was simply asking the question if anyone does then they can respond with something that is ON THE TOPIC!!! Let's stay on the topic please people. If you have nothing helpful to say don't post it!

Second, to ND2Fire, we are not attempting to freelance (BTW, what the hell do you mean by freelancing anyways?). We are simply attempting to keep contact with our apparatus, command, or dispatch (by us and we I mean both the post AND the FF's that I or another Explorer are riding with that day). It is important to remember that when in any dept. no one gets left behind and everyone on station is essential to the effort. It would be tragic for someone to die or something get damaged beyond repair because the station commander couldn't contact the Explorer who was out running an errand for the guys on station because he didn't have a portable.

Next, to 86Rescuetech, we need them because it is essential that an Explorer learn to use a radio because it will be necessary for him/her to use one in the future. Why learn a skill that will be hard to master in the future when it is an easily masterable skill now?

Now, to LMFire, in my town there more than enough portables to go around and we are still unable to use them. That's why I requested the by-law to show or administration that they will be used responsibly.

Have a nice day!!!

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

86Rescuetech
    Firehouse.com Guest

I respect everyone's opinion, but a fire scene is not time to get training on the radio. I hear way to many co's use the radio for jabber. Yes, I think everyone should learn to use a radio, even a Jr. I was a Jr and know what it is like. Like everything in this world, training is the key to learning. We have had drills and scene scenario's and let the Jr. and in-experienced F/F's run things, including radio transmissions. In this day, $$$ is what makes the world move. With 800mhz, more radio's would be Ok because of more channels. I hear police and some ambulance abuse it with jabber. And yes, some officer's should not have a radio, but we created the beast. Some things are better left un-said. I hope no-one takes this as criticism, but my past experience is all I can speak about. By the way, Engine 1321, in what would the designator be for the portables? Be safe.

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

I never said that we would be training to use them on the fireground. As an Explorer do you think me that incompetent? We would be training on our own FRS radios on the proper time and lingo to use before we would even THINK about using the actual city portables. For us it's a matter of safety and ease of communication between us, IC, and a dispatcher. If one of us gets injured and no one can hear us yelling what are we supposed to do?

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

86Rescuetech
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok, I think this is going the wrong way. No one is incompetent. If we were, we would not be doing this. I am not trying to insult anyone! I am not sure how your area runs. In our county, we have six dispatch channels, and 93 Companies (165 engines, 70 truck co's, 50 Heavy rescues, numerous other support pieces, each company has 5-9 officers, and that's not even counting EMS). We have way too many companies, apparatus and people talking on the radio. This has struck a nerve with me personally. As a former Battalion Chief, it seems like anytime i needed to speak, I couldn't. If the $$ permit, I have no problem with what you want to do. And it seems like you have enough portables to do that. Communication needs to happen constantly, I agree with that. I am sorry if I created an issue, but radio speak has struck a nerve with me. Again, sorry. Be safe.

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Every county is different. The way it is here is that every dept. has their own frequency. Not every case is the same. Now, does anyone have any SOP's reguarding use of portables?

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

jrfirefighter43
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

The only people in my department that have radios is the officers (6). This do include the past chiefs. They have one radio for the group. Then we have the portables in the first and second engine out. None of are Jr's have radio's, for that matter none of the reg. members have radio's. They only get pagers (minor 3's). But if any one want a alpha pager then they have to pay the money for it. Even Jr's.

Stay Safe,
    Jrfirefighter43

Derek Secrist
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Im an Explorer Post Advisor in our fire Dept. and our Jr's are allowed to use our portable radios on the engines during training and on the fireground when a Sr. firefighter is not using them. They may also buy there own radio but it must be approved by the Chief and have the dispatch channels tx removed.

AFD11EXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't really see the point in having radios for the explorers. It't just more to worry about. Like breaking the radio and stuff like that.

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Would you like to be held responsible if an Explorer or Junior was injured or killed because he or she needed help and was unable to contact it? It's serious questions like these that drive my inquiry further. Survival of the "go-fers" and those who operate behind the scenes.

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

radios of a rig? why not have your jrs/ex. purchase scanners, or old fire pagers (Minitor 1's or 2's). being an advisor of jrs. the only time they have had radios in their possesion was at trainings, . . . NEVER on the fireground (there are some members who can't talk efficently) what would the benefit of the members be to having a teenager transmit on a portable radio??????????

------------------

Thread Information