Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Jr_ AssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Do you have a pager?

This may sound like a dumb question but in one of my departments they do not issude pagers to juniors. Thankfully I found one in my basement(don't ask because I have no clue) but others in the dapartment don't. This is not a debate on whether juniors should or sould not have them, just a check to see how many of us out there rely on scanners or town sirens instead of being issued a pager.

FiReFiGhTeR88
    Firehouse.com Guest

yes im a junior and i have a pager that the fire dept. issued me

colfireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

When i was a junior member,our chief did not issue pagers to us.we had to wait till we were regular members(19).we paid our dues i guess.

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our dept. has a paid squad and a call squad and we frequently purchase new minitors. We have 5 explorers. Our explorer Lt. has a Minitor 3 and I (Capt.) have a minitor 2. We get them from asking around if anybody has a spare minitor. Many of them do.

A good way for explorer posts to get minitors is to ask around for extra pagers, ask to recieve secondary pagers or see if any other local departments have recently gotten new pagers and then ask to buy the old ones from them. Then it costs like $20 a minitor to change the tone. If your unsucessful, then you could use a portable scanner. It's not as convenient as a minitor, but it's better than nothing!
    Joe

FirefighterReed
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I'm a jr. ff and I am issued a pager plus I have my own portable radio and I'm hoping to get a mobile radio for my truck soon. For now I just carry the scanner in my truck and it works really good as far as that goes. Haven't missed a call yet. I carry a Bearcat 245 XLT scanner.

------------------
    Find em hot......Leave em wet...

Fire Fighters job is never done

jwd37
    Firehouse.com Guest

At the station I run with juniors are issued pagers.

Joe

scafd417
    Firehouse.com Guest

As the Explorering Post Lead Advisor, and past Explorer, Yes our explorers are issued pagers. 10 years ago when i first joined the group we where issued Plectrons (ANY ONE REMEBER THOSE?) When we started getting Minitor II and III I requested we issue our explorers the old Minitor I's and we will contine the rotation to Minitor II and so on. This is a great asset to my department. As many around the country are experiencing we too are having a shortage of FF,mostly in the day time. We can use the explorers as goofers and this frees up an extra FF for fire ground duties. More department should consider this.

Lt. David J. PLumb
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept

[This message has been edited by scafd417 (edited July 06, 2000).]

FIREDOG63
    Firehouse.com Guest

My district,which is Pacific, Missouri Fire Protection District our Explorers have pagers but the the explorers that are 16 years old or older have minitor 3s and can ride the apparatus on calls. But 15 year olds and younger get minitor 1s after they have been there for about 2 months and the explorer officers(i am explorer chief) and explorer advisors can trust them with a pager. The only reason the explorers under 16 have pagers are because they can come to the firehouse and help clean up after calls with multiple alarms. i hope I have answered your question.

Firefighter Matt Woodruff 6163
    Pacific Fire P.D.
    Pacific, Missouri

Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We have 3 juniors on our dept. All of the juniors that are active in the dept. (show up for meetings and calls) are issued pagers. The other Jr. has a Minitor II and I have a Minitor III that the dept. just got in last week.

------------------
    Leon Bass
    Jr. Firefighter
    SWVFD Station 16

holton_explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't have a pager yet but I soon will all we need is for the Town board to aprove it, except the only poblem is that a anoying dweb might get one and he'll be on all the calls probley the only person in the world who shoudent be a ff AHH!!!

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

All explorers or juniors whichever you want to call them. On my Ems Squad are issued pagers once you are able to ride to calls which is 16. We are issued the Motorola I's (AKA THE BRICK)lol....Once your on a while you become a regular member you are issued a Minitor II or Minitor III whichever is available to you.

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Junior EMS Responder
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Nozzleman 84
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my post we have a little bit of a different system. The three Lieutenants are each issued an alph-numeric pager and are on a call group on the computer (but do not get emergecy pages, only messages about events.) As of right now we have no formal system in place for explorers to respond to calls. Eventually in the future there is a possibility that the trustworthy explorers will be paged to the calls, either by a minitor or an alpha pager. I personaly reley on my scanner to hear the tones.

FireDeptAFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Our Apprentice's are issued Pager's and do respond to most calls in the district and ride the Engine. Myself i have a Scanner in my car so i can hear calls when im out of the district i keep paper and a pen in there also to write down address of calls if i cant make the truck,i go right to the secene in my car

peanut486
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

yes, im a junior w/ my dept, and they issue us pagers as they come available. but, if a senior member needs a pager or a new member joins we give ours up. i have a minitor1. i did have a mnitor2, but the first captains got ran over when he was boarding the engine enroute to a call so i got screwed on that one. anyone in the dept can also buy their on portable or mobile. i have an Icom portable--UHF-- and a Relm mobile, also uhf.

squad 1335
    Firehouse.com Guest

i dont have a pager instead i carey a uniden
    bearcat bc 80xlt wich i dont like luging around with me insteed i would like a mentorII somthing more lighter and compact.

JACOB STARCHER
    XENIA FIRE CADATS COMPNEY#29

wannabe-EMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

No pager for me. Probably never will have one. I live a good 15 minutes away from the station, so the odds are unless we got a call while I was in the area, I wouldn't be down to be on it. In addition, cadets aren't "essential" personnel. IE, our presence will not get an apparatus out the door. So there's really no point. If people are needed, they can be called.

Peace, and stay safe.

Otis513
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been a Junior Firefighter for 2 years. I was never Issued a pager. I had to buy them my self. Amazingly I my self have learned how to change filters and other parts of the pagers guts. I make my own pagers that arfe very effective. I buy "cheap" pagers and fix them up to fit my needs. The most I ever spent on a minitor 2 was $135 which was 100 for the pager and 25 for a case then another 10 for the battery door. I must be stupid or something but I have 3 minitor 2 and 2 minitor I's. I spend my pay check before I even get it.

holton_explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I don't have one yet, however my cheif is just in the process of getting the township to aprove Jr's to have them then I will.

And for those who carry scanners, I would check your state laws. Because in Michigan it is illegal to carry anything that can possibly pick up police frequncies. Police frequncies don't even have to be on the scanner for it to be illegal. Just something to look into

------------------
    Adam Pletcher
    Explorer
    Holton Fire Department

20-40
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our depatrment juniors usually don't get pagers, but I did a little asking and a few favors and got myself a Minitor II. I used to carry a Uniden Bearcat 245XLT, but it's so much nicer to have the little thing on your belt than the big scanner.

FIREGROZ
    Firehouse.com Guest

in the company I belong too, we are not issued pagers untill atleast the 6 month probie period is over, plus goin through FF1 will help you get it quicker seeing as you can actually ride then. but you have the option of paying like $14.90 a month and get a page on an alpha numeric pager. but that is through an outsice company so you don't get every call, especially if it is raining. But it is a lot better than lugging around my scanner

------------------
    Mike G.
    Jr. FF Sta. 38

Thread Information