Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SparkyDaFireDog
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile How Old Were You....

How old were you when you first joined the Fire Department as a full time Fire Fighter? How long was the testing process for you?

SparkyDaFireDog

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I First Joined an area Rescue Squad at age 16..Belonged there until I was 18 at which time I left the squad and joined my local Fire Company....That was in 1988...Since Then I have been both a Volunteer and a Career Firefighter/Per-Diem {Laid Off in 1995 } Now just an active Volunteer Fire Fighter in Beautiful Down-Town Stratford, NJ A Community of only 2.2 Square Miles but plenty of calls to keep us busy....246 to date as of Right Now....I'm also back in the EMS Business as a Volunteer Driver for My Local Rescue Squad a Diffrent Town from Stratford....There we do about 700 Calls per year

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Sparky, I was 16 when I joined a local volunteer company. By the time I was 18 I was wrapping up my firefighter I training and finished night school for my EMT I.

At 19 I promoted to volunteer engineer and at 20 I made Rescue Captain. While working for the local ambulance I went to many vocational schools (tech rescue, haz-mat and paramedic)

I started testing when I was 20 and was hired at age 24 after I finished my AS dergee and my paramedic.

My biggest piece of advise... do not become discouraged. The process to a career position may seen long but it is truely worth every ounce of energy.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by FFBill (edited August 12, 2000).]

kennybear911
    Firehouse.com Guest

i started as a junior at age thirteen and i have been on the department for the past three years

------------------
    "It's a tear from bottled-up emototions for fallen comrades. A tear for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the American Flag. It's a tear for all the pain and suffering they have encountered. And it's a tear for their commitment to caring for and saving the lives of their fellow man!" From Creation of the Firefighter

CV639
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I joined the fire department here when I was 16. I m almost 18 now, and I like doing it alot. I run EMS alot with our dept also and Im taking EMT class in the spring. I have Firefighter I, and Firefighter II classes, Also Pipeline Safety, and I will be taking Auto Ex (Adv, and Basic). Also just to let ya know as a requirement to join our department you must have @ least a level I firefighter certificate.

NFPD206
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was 14 when I joined my department as a Cadet. At 18 I passed my Engineers Test. At 19 I passed my EMT, at 21 I passed my FF1 and FF2. I'm now 27 years old and Division Chief of Operations. Don't ever give up on what you want. If you want to be a career firefighter than stick with. Don't forget to be a teenager though. You might regret it later.

------------------
    This is my opinion and my opinion only and does not reflect my department or any organization I belong to.
    Div. Chief-Operations Jeremy Whitehill
    Nixa Fire Protection District
    Nixa, MO

FireRsq107
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I was 15 when i first joined my local VFD. My neighbors house caught fire and i was there to watch them guys put it out.

After the fire was out i noticed a ffew young guys with some of the FF's. I walked up to one of them and asked how he got to be on the FD, he told me that he joined the jr. firemens program so the next week i went and joined,

i am still with them and i am now 23 yrs old.

------------------
    Andrew Coe
    Green Pond Fire & Rescue Service.

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

When I joined about 2 years ago I was 15 and now I am 17 as you would guess! But I think that I should have started earlier! And it tooks 4.5 months for me to become certified.

joined at 15, probation started the day i was born, since i was born into it.

Thread Information