backdraft11
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Lights and Sirens

With all this talk about juniors with blue lights and sirens, does anyone know what kinda laws and regualations there are on lights and sirens for firefighters? I live in Illinois, and I know that as a firefighter you are allowed to have lights, but is there a limit to how many? Jus interested in what you guys know.

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

As far as in NH, there is no rules on what you can have for lights. FF/EMT's can have red, amber and white lights. No blue, green, purple. They are also allowed sirens. Most guys on the permanent company dont' have lights, but some have dashlights and one or two have bars. Most of our call company either has dashlights or bars or grills, whatever. Some have sirens. THere is how ever rules and regulations as far as how you respond. Obviosly there are some calls when you don't need lights. And you must drive safe. You are respresenting the dept. But otherwise, not much.

Fireboy33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hello, Does anyone know the law for lights on vollys POV in Florida. Lights and sirens lights only what??

Ray

Fireboy33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Here after some surfing of the net i managed to find this

316.2398 Display or use of red lights; motor vehicles of volunteer firefighters or medical staff.--

(1) A privately owned vehicle belonging to an active firefighter member of a regularly organized volunteer firefighting company or association, while en route to the fire station for the purpose of proceeding to the scene of a fire or other emergency or while en route to the scene of a fire or other emergency in the line of duty as an active firefighter member of a regularly organized firefighting company or association, or a privately owned vehicle belonging to a medical staff physician or technician of a medical facility licensed by the state, while responding to an emergency in the line of duty, may display or use a red light visible from the front and from the rear of such vehicle, subject to the following restrictions and conditions:

(a) A light may not have a light source greater than 50 candlepower.

(b) Only one red light of the revolving type may be displayed, and such light must be permanently or magnetically mounted to the dashboard or roof of the vehicle.

(c) The red light must consist of a lamp with a red lens, but may not consist of an uncolored lens with a red bulb.

(d) The red light may not be a part of the regular headlamps, taillights, or turn signal lights displayed on such vehicle.

(e) No inscription of any kind may appear across the face of the lens of the red light.

(f) The lens of the red light may not be less than 3 inches or more than 8 inches in diameter.

(g) In order for an active volunteer firefighter to display such a red light on his or her vehicle, the volunteer firefighter must first secure a written permit from the chief executive officers of the firefighting organization to use the red light, and this permit must be carried by the volunteer firefighter at all times while the red light is displayed.

(2) It is unlawful for any person who is not an active firefighter member of a regularly organized volunteer firefighting company or association or a physician or technician of the medical staff of a medical facility licensed by the state to display on any motor vehicle owned by him or her, at any time, a red light as described in subsection (1).

(3) It is unlawful for an active volunteer firefighter to operate a red light as authorized in subsection (1), except while en route to the fire station for the purpose of proceeding to the scene of a fire or other emergency, or while en route to the scene of a fire or other emergency, in the line of duty.

(4) It is unlawful for a physician or technician of the medical staff of a medical facility to operate a red light as authorized in subsection (1), except when responding to an emergency in the line of duty.

(5) A violation of this section is a nonmoving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318. In addition, any volunteer firefighter shall be dismissed from membership in the firefighting organization by the chief executive officers thereof.

Ray

NRFR/explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wow, nice work. I'm going to find out the same stuff for NH. Will post it soon-
    Joe

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

50 candlelight power? Does any emergency services/police/fire company -sell- 50cp lights? I think the tear drop light is like, 100cp... geez. I doubt anyone follows that rule.

In IL, Firefighters/ESDA/EMS personel are permitted to have blue lights, as many as they want from what I've seen. I'm a ESDA Rescue Tech, and I use a single blue firebeam on my dash with my hazard lights flashing. Works for me.

In IL, for a EMS/FF to have a siren, you need to get a state liscense, which isn't that hard with the signature of your chief/director/boss(wo)man. It's just some buearucracy. And the local cops probably should know.

Fireboy33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I know 50 CP doesn't make sense oh well at least i'd never live up to that rule but i found it on the florida state leglastive page i'm guessing most states have them just have to look around like i did and a follow up u can also use sirens in Florida but it also applies to the light system rules only when responding to the house or call

Ray

MembersZone Subscriber

I have to make a decision tomorrow on what type of dashlight I will buy. I am trying to decide between a dashlazer with the mirror, firebeam with the flash mirror, or the LED tir6 wehelen slimlighter.
    They have to be blue. I dont think I want a strobe dashlight due to the problem I have seen during the day. I like the price of halogen lights but love the power of the new LED. I NEED HELP.

in connecticut vol firefighters can only use blue and amber in the front, and any color in the back. vol ems personel are only aloud to use green. on my 2002 jeep grande cherokee i have a blue ep911 led strip, and 2 blue grill lights and 2 amber hideaways in the front, and im getting 2 more led strips that will be red and blue for the back window and 2 red hide aways in the backup lights
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

Forum Member

In PA the chiefs and assitant chiefs can run red lights and they have all the rules of an emergency vehicle suchs as run red lights, stop signs, and speed. All vollys can run blue lights if they want to but have no privlages such as running red lights and speeding pretty much its a curtasy. We just had an incedent where i live that a volly running a blue light got into a wreak. there was a big fuss over it and they are now makin blue light safty classes and that stuff.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Forum Member

TShayes, I am not trying to be disrespectful or obnoxious, but why do you find it necessary to post the same question to every thread involving lights, including those that are two years old? I am sure that posting the question to one thread that was also a recent one will get the same response as the ones that you are getting, if not a better response.
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by JRFireman
    TShayes, I am not trying to be disrespectful or obnoxious, but why do you find it necessary to post the same question to every thread involving lights, including those that are two years old? I am sure that posting the question to one thread that was also a recent one will get the same response as the ones that you are getting, if not a better response.
    This was over a week ago... put it behind you.

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=29852

Thread Information