Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    HFDPOST321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Fire alarm pull boxes

Have you ever heard of the gamewell system or fire alarm pull boxes? Also, if your town or city still use them or if they ever did at one point, either the gamewell system or fire alarm pull boxes, let me know.

Deputy Chief James Ulrich
    Hagerstown Fire Department Explorer Post 321

eng7ine
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

hagerstown has the gamewell system and it goes off all the time because of neglagence of kids on the road.with all the modern technology we have i think it would make sense to take them away.people know the number to 911 and with all the cell phones out there im sure someone in tyhe area will have one to dial an emergency.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We always have had the pull boxes on telephone poles...We get our usual False alarms but hey...Some people in town dont have phones and that is there way of notifying the fire dept. It has helped them 2 times both times were house fires....But we really dont get to many false alarms with boxes..when we do 85% of hte time we catch the kids doing it which is good. These boxes are DEFINATLEY not for larger towns suchas the town next to me..they get at least 4 false alarms a day with those boxes..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

JR95
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My town does not use them but about 4 towns in my county do utilize the Gamewell system..

EatHeat1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In my dept. we have the pull boxes and i do not like them at all do to the fact that if lighting hits the pull down the road it goes off or the kids that have nothing to do on a Friday nights except to pull the box on the pull.

Jim
    Old Mystic Fire Dept.
    Old Mystic, Ct

JRFF661
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

In a bigger town near us, they use the boxes still but when you pull the handle a bit of paint get's on ur hand and then if it is false they can catch the person that did it or can congratulate them if it was a real fire.

------------------
    Justin Schinkel
    Junior FF
    Citizens Fire Co.
    E-661 & E-662
    "Leather Forever"

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

We had the Gamewell System in the 1920's. It rang a bell in an old station that was near the train tracks to summon the volunteers. It was replaced in the late 1920's due to the large numbers of false alarms, when the city began the paid department. We sold it to a town about our size north of here. The station with the bell has since been demolished, but the bell is on display in front of station 1.

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights
    "Reputation is made in a moment; Character is built in a life time."

We do have one Gamewell pullbox in our district (in front of our station!). Not too many depts around us utilize them. I believe Auburn, NY still uses this type of system, but am not sure if replaced or not.
    -Stay Safe

Yea we get the pull boxes like Andrew said{Engine058} We also got the old fashion indacator system where u get the tape with the holes punched and u gotta look up the number of the box on the board. Some still use it today in my fire house i know i do once and awhile..
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

OUR FIRE DEPARTMENT HAS HAD PULL BOXES SINCE THE THIRTIES. THEY USED TO SOUND BOTH THE TONES AND THE AIR HORNS ON THE ROOF OF THE FIRE STATION WOULD SIGNAL WHICH BOX IT WAS SO IF YOU WERE GOOD AT REMEMBERING ALL THE NUMBERS YOU WOULD KNOW RIGHT WHERE TO GO. THE HORNS HAVE BEEN TAKEN DOWN AFTER ABOUT 60 YEARS OF COMPLAINTS FROM NEIGHBORS. BUT WE STILL HAVE THE TAPE AND A DECODER, PLUS DISPATCH HAS ANOTHER DECODER AND TAPE. THE BOXES HAVN'T HAD MUCH OTHER THAN FALSE ALARMS OR BEEN PULLED AFTER WE WERE RESPONDING, BUT AT ANOTHER STATION ON THE NORTH END OF TOWN IT WAS USED TO SIGNAL A 6 ALARM MILL FIRE. PLUS THEY ARE GREAT TO HAVE ON THE FRONT OF OUR VOLUNTEER STATION THATS EMPTY 6 HOURS A NIGHT

We use all gamewell boxes in our dept. We have been using the system since the 1890's.

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: 65712 ]

Thread Information