East Haddam#1firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Standard issued gear or Junior gear?

I was a Junior Fire Fighter in East Haddam Connecticut for a year and Juniors are issued older gear that is not rated for structural firefighting. They are issued a yellow coat, helmet, gloves and hip boots. I am 19 and now and a senior member that is issued standard gear and I was just wondering what kind of gear your department issues to Juniors?

------------------
    Shawn Daigle
    East Haddam F.D.
    East Haddam Connecticut

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Shawn,
    In my company Juniors are issued older turn out that also isn't rated for structural firefighting. Until you get Essentials and become qualitfied to go interior in my station you are given the old stuff. We kind of look at it as if you want to get the new PBI that fits than "you" will have the ambition to go out and get the training so you can get the better gear.
    I guess it depends on how you look at the situation. I realized that even if I did have a new set of PBI it wouldn't matter because I'm still exposed to the same hazards. On the other hand you also don't want to have your members running around in unsafe equipment also.
    Just my 2 cents.

Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    Honey Brook Fire Company #1, Honey Brook, PA

NCOTS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department only issues a yellow helmet, a pair of gloves, boots, and coveralls. It helps us to tell the difference between the Jr.'s and Firefighters.

cmjones
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was issued full ppe.
    Coat, Pants, Helmet, Flash hood, Gloves, Boots

Same nomex gear as other certified firefighters, which I will be certified after Oct 29 when I take the test at the academy. But I gotta wait til 18 before I can go into a structure.

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

What my company does to tell the difference between a junior and a senior is different gear colors and we put a half inch red strip down the entire helment.

I don't think putting them in just a pair of coveralls is very safe in my opinion.

Robert A. Klinger, Jr.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my Dept., explorers are issued safe gear, but it is black, and senior firfighters gear is tan. This is true, of course, unless you weigh about 240lbs like myself in which case you are issued senior gear. All explorers are issued blue helmets, so they are easily recognizable from the seniors, who wear black helmets.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

NJOUTLAW6
    Firehouse.com Guest

For us it's simple you get a pair of boots bunkers if you have them,gloves,mask,hood,turn-out coat and either u have a plastic black helmet,leather helmet,or a shell helmet. u are told to know how to use the SCBA in case of a Really bad Emergency.

------------------
    Thomas Parsons
    South Amboy Fire Dept.
    Eng.6
    "OUTLAWS"

speded750
    Firehouse.com Guest

my dept. used regular bunker gear for many years. approx. 4 years ago, they wanted to upgrade to pbi gear with city stripes. they ordered 20 sets of baige( least expensive color) to test of various brands. When they chose the brand and recieved black gear the jr's were issued the trial gear with the word "junior " on the back. The jr.s wear yellow moon helmets with nfpa goggles and yellow shields. while the officers wear black new yorkers with yellow shields. I happen to have a leather new yorker. we are issued structural boots as well. we arent issued nomex hoods as we are not permited inside.
    THANX ED

------------------
    *****SQUAD 2- UNIONDALE****THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS_____SOUTHERN COMFORT_______HE AINT HEAVY HES MY BROTHER

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

at my department us exploers are issued the same gear as firefighters but the only difference is the exploers wear black plastic helmits without liners

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We generally issue our juniors the older Astra suits that we have in stock. These are nomex, but still meet the standards for structural firefighting (and some senior members have old Astras as a spare set of gear and use them as such). When someone becomes a senior crew member and gets their Essentials certificate, they are fitted for and issued PBI gear.

Generally, I don't like to issue non-compliant gear to anyone that's going to be on the fireground in any capacity. You never know what might happen out there.

slove12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

see i got 3 months intill i am a jr.firefighter and i get some nice gear i might get like a brand new helmet it was my bothers gear. sence he is not in the fire co. anymore so i get some good gear. and i am proud of my firegihting life.

------------------
    Keep training and don't quiet.

slove12
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

see i got 3 months intill i am a jr.firefighter and i get some nice gear i might get like a brand new helmet it was my bothers gear. sence he is not in the fire co. anymore so i get some good gear. and i am proud of my firegihting life.

josh 701
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department all the explorers are issued the same gear as the firemen only the explorers bunker coat is red, it sets us off from the firemen who wear black bunker coats. The explorers are also issued yellow bunker paints, gloves, nomex hood, helmet, and also explorer vest that goes over the coats. I don't really agree with coveralls.

Josh Millikan
    Union County Fire Dept.
    Explorer Chief

RescueCoFireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Shawn,

I started out as a Junior Fireman 10 Years ago from age 15-18. See my post "Junior Firemen: My perspective". Even though I am well past the years of being a Junior Fireman I still contribute to the program by showing JF's the ropes.

When I was a JF we were issued the same gear as the regular firemen. Safety is Safety regardless of your role on the fireground! I was a member during the cross over period from hip boots and long coats to the now issued full turnout gear. We were issued a leather helmet used, full turnout gear that included Coat, Gloves, Pants and Boots. What identified us as Junior Fireman on the fireground was the tops of our black leathers were painted Orange. Our fronts were Orange as well and it read Junior Fireman with our badge number in white. Probationary Fireman also have Orange shield too but their helmets are black.

GB

Benz543
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my department we are given 1 yellow wild land jacket, gloves, nomex pants, and helmet. You cant tell the difference between explorers and firefighters except the jackets.

ffemtarmy
    Firehouse.com Guest

At my dept the Jr's are issued Structure gear that is nomex instead of pbi as the seniors get it really is nice because it is mostly new gear with relativly new accesories. Always remember you guys are vital to the fire ground.

Thread Information