Why in the world do juniors need lights?

Matt
    Oxford (CATFISH) Volunteer Fire Department Station #13
    Junior Firefighter #1361
    *These are my opinions and views and are not intended to reflect or represent the department I am on*
    *Stay Safe*

Forum Member

I have a deckblaster on my back glass and a dashlaser on my dash. That is the cheaper and better alternative to a light bar. I do not run lights en route to calls. The only purpose of lights in my book is for your personal protection once on scene. Lights may not save time, but they sure can save your life on the scene of an MVA. Your safety is more important once on scene, than the amount of time it takes you to get there. The only reason i would see to get a light bar is if you do lots of time sitting on the side of the road at MVAs or anything else around traffic. Otherwise, I don't see a need for one.

Originally posted by ff_1361_ovfd
    Why in the world do juniors need lights?

Matt
    oh god, here we go again...

MembersZone Subscriber

I do not believe that juniors have to have lights but if the "CHIEF" of their department condones it I see no problem in it as long as they are able to use them resonsibly. Juniors atleast in my department can do almost everything but enter a burning building and some other ultra hazardous stuff. People need to stop bashing juniors and lights and think about the fact that at the firsdt house fire you have had in months you are sitting at the hydant with a radio freezing your bum off instead of fighting fire. Guess who could have been there in place of you. Could it be. A JUNIOR. If a junior wants to run a bluelight that is fine. As long as he is responsible. I dont think that there is a single person out there that can say that every senior member with a blue light is as mature as a junior. In my department that means an age difference of a 17 year old compared to an 18 year old. A junior is still a firefighter no matter how you look at it unless he is in an explorer program from the boyscouts. Then he is not worth a blue light due to the strict rules governing them. WE ARE NOT PART OF THE BOYSCOUTS. We are the same as a probationary firemen. You want to run blue then fine. As long as everyone does it in a safe matter. We know that a blue light is only a COURTESY LIGHT. For me I have more training than some of our new members who just because they are senior members can run a blue light. If you want the names of the courses I have taken just say so.

Forum Member

Someone needs to disconnect the compressor line from your nose. I think your head is getting too big. If anyone ever came into my post with that attitude, we would be in the office having a little chat.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is not your department so what goes on around us is what we see. Where you are I have no clue on what happens. Here a junior is just like a probationary firemen with a few more restrictions such as time they can go on calls and be at the fire house.

Forum Member

Originally posted by smokeeater51
    Remember, all of the whirlygigs that we vollies put on our vehicles are just "courtesy" lights. No one is required by law to pull over and stop for volunteers responding to the station.
    That varies by state. In Kentucky, POVs are considered emergency vehicles and motorists must yield right of way to us
    ~*Chris McCown*~
    FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber

(THESE VIEWS ARE JUST THAT; VIEWS NO NEED ON BEING REPRIMANDED)I like the idea kentucky has. Why is it that we have to be non emergency vehicles when we are trying to save a persons life. Only after taking 3-6 minutes to get to the station can we go wirly giging down the streat in a big red truck. Every minute counts whether it be a ems call of a serius nature or a possible house fire. If your respoinding to the station as a firefighter or anything emergency related where you are not a paid person then you should not have to sit at red lights and wait while the person is having a heart attack or somthing. What if it was your relative. Wouldnt you want the fastest reponse.

Forum Member

Default A few ideas for you tshayes

I agree with you. You should write your congressman and let him know how you feel. A petition would also help your effort. They are put there to represent the people who voted them in, not their own beliefs. If enough taxpayers/voters raise the awareness that this needs to be done he or she will most likely consider it. You could do an online potition, and put a link to it here. You could also get the FFs in your Dept. to sign, as well as people in your district. They want the fastest response time they can get. It may just come down to nothing being done about it untill the lawmakers are affected personally. First time their house catches on fire and the dept members have to fight traffic to get to the dept, then make it there, they'll sure do whatever they can to reduce reaction time.
    ~*Chris McCown*~
    FireFighter / Rescue Sergeant / NREMT-P

MembersZone Subscriber

Thankyou heres the site. Get as many people as you can to poll. I will tell all of my people on here.
    http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=43496

MembersZone Subscriber

You may wnat to check your local/state laws. My state declares that it must be roof mounted, sure you can have all the rest of it, as long as something is roof mounted. on a car i think anything on the roof looks retarded. but i've got a mini LED bar on mine cuz i can't get away with anything on the dash/visor

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by guardo83 View Post
    You may wnat to check your local/state laws. My state declares that it must be roof mounted, sure you can have all the rest of it, as long as something is roof mounted. on a car i think anything on the roof looks retarded. but i've got a mini LED bar on mine cuz i can't get away with anything on the dash/visor
    Do you think after 5 yrs they have figured it out guardo83.

T.J.
    Last edited by Remthedays; 07-10-2007 at 05:03 PM.

Forum Member

-Here's a suggestion.......How about no lights at all?

And another one- check the dates of the postings before you add a reply.....You never know (well, you would if you checked the date) when the thread or subject has been hashed out over and over again to the point that no one cares anymore........
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

In response to the question of which light, i like the mini phantom from galls, but thats not from my use. Our ffs dont run lights on povs(not sayin its wrong or right) but our first responders run the mini phantoms, very nice!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Remthedays View Post
    Do you think after 5 yrs they have figured it out guardo83.

T.J.
    Some people will do anything for a post sometimes I guess.

Maybe he just wanted to feel special talking about lights too.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

IACOJ - Proud member.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    -Here's a suggestion.......How about no lights at all?

And another one- check the dates of the postings before you add a reply.....You never know (well, you would if you checked the date) when the thread or subject has been hashed out over and over again to the point that no one cares anymore........
    It's been a few years... the explorers that started this post have grown up and graduated... should we request the web team to move this outta the explorers & jr Firefighting section and over to the regular firefighting forum ? That'll really resurrect this post.
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

MembersZone Subscriber

Someone is enjoying stirring the s**t pile.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    Someone is enjoying stirring the s**t pile.
    On firehouse? That would never happen.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't believe it...

Forum Member

Oh, i feel stupid, i just looked at the date of the first post, my bad!! lol!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jrscvfs View Post
    Oh, i feel stupid, i just looked at the date of the first post, my bad!! lol!
    No need to apologize. You didn't revive the thread!

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Gershon View Post
    Hey ya'll I was wondering on what u'r thoughts are on eather getting a dash light, Mini bar light or full size bar. What one would u suggest. Please no negative comments like Jr's dont need lights. I've had on for 2 years and its very use full.

Thanks
    Justin
    Wait, this wasn't posted on April fools day. Surely it has to be a joke....

Forum Member

[QUOTE=ndvfdff33;835086]No need to apologize. You didn't revive the thread!
    thanks, i still feel weird

Forum Member

[QUOTE=jrscvfs;835671]
    Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    No need to apologize. You didn't revive the thread!
    thanks, i still feel weird
    Meh. Suit yourself.

Ryan

Forum Member

I've been reading through the older posts in the forums and it seems like this guy is a serious wacker.

Thread Information