Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Recrruiting Juniors

Our department hasn't had a Junior in about 2 years, It seems to go in cycles our last group consisted of myself and 3 others all the same age. Is this a normal trend? I am really interested how to get out into the schools and promote ourselves. Any Ideas???

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I understand where your coming from.. our situation is...we have 6 Cadets...4 are 17 1's 16 and myself will be turning 16 shortly.... Now once those 4 cadets move up this year...we will be back to 2 cadets once again...we are tryin to recruit more cadets but its not working out to good...I need ideas also...I'm thinking about putting a poster up on the bulletin board at school but I've already asked a bunch of people how they feel about joining a First aid squad and they say they dont want to...So I dunno...We had 2 cadets..Then it went to having 6 ...then we will be back to 2 cadets again.....go figure!!

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept., we currently have around 10 active explorers. We had 8 at the beginning of this year. We then lost 4. Then we got two more, and then held a first nighter and go two more after that, for a total of 4. It is always a constant struggle to recruit new members. In the past, my post has put on a presentation at the school, and that has been somewhat successful.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

squad 1335
    Firehouse.com Guest

YOU GUYS MUST BE LUCKEY WE HAVE A PROLBLEM KEEPING EXPLORERS\AND JR'S BUT WE ARE LOOKING FOR SOME NEW CADETS THAT WANT!!! TO JOIN THE POST AND STICK WITH IT.

JACOB STARCHER
    XENIA FIRE CADETS COMPENY#29

------------------

URSULAFORHAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I have the same problem,only slighty worse,
    you see, I'm trying to start a program from scratch,no assistance from BSA,(like I qualify as a boy scout!)no prexisting programs in California that I know of,and a hell of a time finding kids I'd trust around heavy macinery,and I only need three more kids!!!I had to come up with a flyer about an activity I was involved in in computers last week,which I am considering sticking up around school.If any body in Humboldt county sees this, E-mail me!!!!!
    Althea,14
    Plyhaven,CA

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by URSULAFORHAN:
    I have the same problem,only slighty worse,
    you see, I'm trying to start a program from scratch,no assistance from BSA,(like I qualify as a boy scout!)no prexisting programs in California that I know of,and a hell of a time finding kids I'd trust around heavy macinery,and I only need three more kids!!!I had to come up with a flyer about an activity I was involved in in computers last week,which I am considering sticking up around school.If any body in Humboldt county sees this, E-mail me!!!!!
    Althea,14
    Plyhaven,CA

Althea:

The BSA(Boy Scouts of America) Exploring and Venture programs are Co-Ed learning for life programs. Not limited to just males. In my view, it is very good to have an affiliation with them, as the insurance they offer per explorer is generally the reason departments allow explorers to ride apparatus and respond to calls. Most people I have talked to that are not affiliated with BSA in their Junior program, are not allowed to ride apparatus or respond to calls because the insurance per explorer is so high. Just trying to help.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

jakeMFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Fire Department has had a small Explorer Post for about a year. We have six active members. We just ran a recruitment drive at the high school where we handed out flyers, took phone #s from interested students, etc. We had fire/rescue equipment on display as well as a half hour video showing our events and training from the past year. We had a table in the cafeteria staffed with advisors and explorers. We collected about 25 names. These 25 people will be invited with their parents to an information night at the fire house where we'll answer questions and hand out registration paperwork. I'll let you know how information night goes. Also, I highly recommend working with the BSA as they have more resources than most of our fire departments.

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

about 6 months ago all the local explorer posts near where i live got together and did a comercial we had CHP explorers american medical response explores city police explorers and county sherrifs explorers we had this comercial all made up and it ran for about 2 months on tv we all got you know what squat nothing zilch none of the explorer posts got any new members from this if that wont work what will?

------------------
    Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Department
    Explorer post 2335

Thread Information