CVFD26
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Top mount or side mountpumpers???

Does your dept have side mount pumpers, top mount pumpers, or both? My dept has top mount and that is all that we will have because our enginer said he does not want anymore side mounts because he can see what is going on better, and he can see all the personal better with a top mount.

George Hagerty
    firefighter(former explorer)
    CVFD and HCFR

East Haddam#1firefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey hows it going? In the East Haddam Volunteer Department we have all Side mount pump panels, but right now we are in the process of speccing a new truck and we want a top-mount pump. We decided to go with a top-mount pump because just as CVFD26 said with a top-mount pump the pump operator can see the fire scene and most of the personnel a lot better. So I think top-mount pumps are much better. They are more expensive but they are well worth the money. Right now we are trying to decide which of these 3 companies to pick from to design and build our truck; either 4-GUYS, WWW.4guysfire.com, Central States(GENERAL)or Custom Fire apparatus, WWW.Customfire.com, but what ever truck we get it will have a top-mount pump and a Waterous Eclipse CAFS(Compressed Air Foam System) with 2000GPM pump. Everyone be safe and stay low! Peace

------------------
    Shawn Daigle
    East Haddam F.D.
    East Haddam Connecticut

[This message has been edited by East Haddam#1firefighter (edited October 25, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by East Haddam#1firefighter (edited October 25, 2000).]

JrAssistChief
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our campany has both, but we prefer the top-mount pump. It is more efficient for the operator, safer, and allows for better vision of the situation.

lt fireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We here in Coram,NY....have top mount...side mount..and one of our engines even has a panel for pumping on the inside of the cab

------------------
    "live life taste death i fight what you fear"

THESE VIEWS ARE MY OWN NOT MY DEPARTMENTS OR ANYTHING ELSE

greendrum872
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

These are not the opinions of my department.~

[This message has been edited by greendrum872 (edited 02-02-2001).]

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by JrAssistChief:
    Our campany has both, but we prefer the top-mount pump. It is more efficient for the operator, safer, and allows for better vision of the situation.
    Interesting observations. But I think efficiency, safety and observation are rather subjective terms.

Efficiency - If you have alot of help, this may be true. However, of the Engineer has to do his/her own connections, getting up and down from the pump platform can be rather time consuming and tiring. Furthermore, it is nearly impossible to do a booster tank to port-a-tank transfere by yourself on a top mount pump.

Safety - While it is true that if you are on a top mount pump platform, you are out of the street and therefore avoid traffic. But when is the last time you operated your engine at a fire scene while not protecting the street where the engine is operating? It is ideal to at least take the city block as "ours" during a fire... and in rural settings, simply positing your engine at an angle will afford the Engineer protection. Now, in the winter time, is it safer to stay on the ground, or to climb up and down onto the pump panel platform where ice and snow can accumulate on the tread plate?

Observation - I guess it is nice to see the pretty lights and all the smoke and flames. But as far as the Engineer is concerned, is this really important. Many times, the deployed hose lines are inside structures which means you need x-ray vision to afford any good observation. The Engineer needs to concentrate on the gauges and other variables on his/her apparatus. All of the other hooplah could be more of a distraction and thus make the Engineer's job harder. I can think of very few situations where the Engineer needs to observe the operations of the fire ground. This is the task of the command officers.

Top mount pumps are a pain on an aeriel device too....

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

fireb192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

top mount so you can see the fire ground better :

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have one Top mount on our 1st out, and the rest is side mount. I can use either one, I like the top mount for being able to see the fire ground, but having learned on a side, it take a little getting used to.

MembersZone Subscriber

Go with a rear mount. it allows you to move the booster tank forward, thus better utilizing your front axle capacity and better weight distribution for drivability. If you do go rear mount, don't accept the typical style rear mount pump which is an end suction (like a waterous CX style pump). because the plumbing will not be incorporated into the pump body. Many manufacturers are pushing this style of rear mount pump. Because it's cheaper.

Require a full-bodies pump (like a Waterous CS or CM model). This is also a horizontally split pump housing with allows easier maintenance and repair because the bottom of the pump can be dropped out for shaft, seal, and impeller replacement down the road.

Rear mounts also move the "water" activity to the opposite end from the "personnel" activity. it will also provide quiter operation at the pump panel.

have fun.

Forum Member

We have top mount on Engine 3, enclosed on Engines 2 and 4. Engine 5 is a side mount, but what do you expect from a '56 B-Model Mack?

The pumper/rescue we are getting in a year will probably be a rear mount.

Forum Member

we have one side mount pumper, on the other three engins and the one tanker they are all top mount.
    IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE RULES YOU MISS ALL OF THE FUN.

Moose (Post 2028 Vice President/ Command Officer)Explorer Highland Twp. Fire/Rescue Dept.

Any Questions Contact Me At Moose20282@yahoo.com

These Are My Opinions, Not that of My Dept. or Any other Orgnazition I Belong to.

Forum Member

this post was dug out of the cobbwebs. I prefer top mount for one you can see the scene better and second for the engineers safety. If a line bursts at the panel then the engineer will be out of the way unlike with a side mount the engineer is right there where the line is connected to the engine.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

All MFD Engine's are side mount pumps, I am not a big fan of top mount pumps mainly because it makes the rig unesicarily long

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Side mount, and will always be like that. I personally like side mount

Forum Member

we have a rear mount pumper (2003 international), and two front mounts which are old, we love the rear mount, and hate the front mounts. its so much quieter. we had a side mount for a while because our truck was a demo at a convention and i heard that no body liked it.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

I disagree that the top mount pumps are unsafe, and unefficient.
    Oberservation-its nice to be able to see the scene and whats going on. Not always are most lines inside. Around here they are not always that way. Barn fires, etc. for example. So it has happened before to where a fireman goes down from heat exhaustion and such and since the pump operator could see him go down, the line was cut immediately. Where with traditional side mount pumps, that order might have had to wait to come from a chief.

Plus, the side mount pump makes it easier for the pump operator to get to either side from the pump panel. Generally you just lean a little bit and you can see whats going on with your truck, where with the side mount pumps, you are completely oblivious to the opposite side of the rig.

But its all up to department preference. Here, the top mount is "grand" and we will continue to buy.

And for whoever is specing out their truck now. We own 2 4 Guys trucks. The tanker which is almost 15 years old now, it still in tip top shape from the stainless steel body with no rust. Our engine is holding up excellent also. Our next truck will also be a 4Guys.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Both pumps in service at my department are top mounted pumps. It has always seemed to make operations run smoother.

MembersZone Subscriber

As an engineer I could care less about seeing the scene. It is the same way with incident command.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Safety? Subjective, climb up and down a dozen times in a Wosconsin winter on ice covered steps and tell me how safe it is.

Effficiency? Perhaps if someone else makes your water supply hook uo and all your lines are always preconnects. If not the driver is up and down paking connections.

Observation? Honestly, what is the pump operator's job? RUN THE PUMP!! Maintain adequate pressure for hose lines. Their job is not assistant safety officer and it is not a time to stand there and watch the fire. Their job is to watch the guahes and maintain water supply and adequate pressure for fire streams.

I prefer a sidemount because it almost forces the operator to pay attention to their job.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Nice post!

Sometimes it does suck not to be able to see what is going on.

I always hear departments getting top mounts so they can see better. I might buy easier access to a manually controlled deck gun, but not so the operator can see what is going on.
    Last edited by BVFD1983; 11-17-2005 at 02:15 AM.
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

We have one top mount Pierce, one top mount E-One, and a side mount Quint.(I haven't even seen anything to the contrary but I thought I'd post it cause its got a pump.)
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I like both top mount and side mount. The only type of rear mount that I like is one that has a direct control pump panel, such as side and top mount. I hate the rear mounts that used all them electronic thingys to turn the valves. I like the manual control and being able to fix them yourself.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

The Engineer Should Be Worrying About Pumping Water Not What Everyone Else Is Doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Member

Top mounts do not make the rig any longer if properly spec'd. I have used both for many years. My department has both types in front line service. I myself prefer top mount. Here are my reasons, I agree I could give a rats *** about seeing the fire if I am pumping it, but I can see the nozzle man irregardless of which side the lines are coming off of. On the side mount if you pull up on the officers side of the rig the engineer has to walk around to wait for the water signal from the pipeman. Or use a radio, which you will be lucky to get a word in edgewise in the first minutes of a working fire. Also, we do not live in a perfect world and couplings will leak. And inevitably the storz will make a water curtain at the pump panel and the attack line will be leaking down. In the middle of winter this just plain sucks, now I am standing in an ice rink being drenched, not fun. Also it gets the engineer off the road, this is real important on the highway, the engineer can see what is coming at him, because we don't have rigs long enough to block a 4 lane highway and still be effectively and efficiently positioned. And the cops on scene, aw hell forget about traffic control from the cops on the scene, they are too busy rubbernecking at what is going on. Also in the rural setting the engineer can be up where he can see, and be out of the way of the tanker shuttle. If you spec the rig with LDH intake controls on the pump panel then drafting from a top mount is no more difficult than a sidemount. I have even done a "gravity drop" draft from a top mount when the primer motor went out on me. These are my opinions, so before somebody wants to get in to a ****ing competition, if you prefer side mounts that is great brother I still have love in my heart for ya. I am just adding my.02 cents to the topic. Which ever you prefer stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox
    we have a rear mount pumper (2003 international), and two front mounts which are old.
    Nice to know mine isn't the only department saddled with front-mounts. They stink! The funny thing is that the oldest truck in our fleet (32 years) is a side mount. Whatever possesed the old-timers to specify front-mounts is beyond my ability to understand.

Thread Information