Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry What's the Deal?

First off the bat I don't have anything against the Fire Explorer or Ranger program what ever it is called in your dept. It's a great program.
    Where I have a problem is when you guys walk around saying your Firefighters and talking like big time smoke-eaters, when frankly you are not. Why do you guys do this because when Firefighters find out that you are only an Explorer they automatically lose respect for you and your crediblity is shot to hell.
    So why do Explores continue to act like the big time smoke eaters that they aren't?

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

Haligan125
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arn;t explorers under 18?
    So anyone with half a brain would know that they are not firefighters anywyas. I used to be a junior firefighter. And I thought I was pretty cool, But I would say I am junior firefighter. So people knew that I was just learing and stuff.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well, I dunno what you are talking about because I never did or will do that..I always say I am a Junior Firefighter/EMS..I have no reason to say I'm all high and mighty because I know i'm not...no one is....we are all continuing to learn new things..it doesnt matter how much fire we fought..or how many Ems calls we ran etc...it still doesnt make you the best...No one is the best..sure you may know alot more than others from experience...but your still not best...because there will always be someone better than you...and for the juniors/explorers who DO act like this...I know how you feel, you think your all great and know alot...But remember this...if you keep that attitude all your life..your gonna get burnt out real fast..meaning your gonna wanna do everything..see everything...then once it comes time for your turn to actually get in there and fight fire..you'll be tired of it...I'm not saying its gonna happen to you but guys/girls...just take it easy....no need to say how great you are...just doing what you do makes you great...thats all that counts...I myself really dont care what other people think of me....I know that I'm gonna get the privilage of saving someones life one day...and there gonna miss out because THEY THINK WE ARE CRAZY..OR THey Dont like the sight of Blood etc...So basically what i'm saying...wear ur FD or EMS shirts proudly..but not to Proudly..because then people will start to think..OH hE THINKS HE"S BETTER THAN THE REST OF US THE HELL WITH HIM..and start to exclude you from things..I dunno...Thats all I pretty much can think of to say about that situation right now..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Imaff4free
    Firehouse.com Guest

First thing; Explorers go to the age of 21, at that point they become a assistant Advisor.

Explorer age: 14 and completed the 8th grade,
    and at 18 a Explorer can put a application in for a Volunteer, and at this time we call them Junior Advisors.

Ok back to the topic, I have also heard some older FF's talking like big time smoke-eaters, when frankly they don't even or have never done all the things they say they have so I guess that the youth learn by their elders. "OUCH!"

I am the Advisor of the Explorer post for our FD and if I hear of any of my Explorers talking BS I put a stop to it and try to find out why they did so.

Explorers are like the rest of us they are Proud to be doing the same thing as us as far as training goes and some day to be doing it with us.

If you can not tell that the person is a FF in training (Explorer/ Junior/ Cadet etc...) then you can always ask them their age and know that to have done what they say they have they would have had to start many years ago, if the person is one of the lucky ones that look young for their age then they will have no problem telling you and sometimes showing you their ID.

I always say; "If you don't know, then ask"

I hope this did not sound like a bash, I just don't think we get anywhere bashing.

------------------
    God bless us all,
    on every call.
    Todd

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok, well excuse me, but who exactly, sir, do you think you are ? First off, the fact that you have decided to lump all explorers/juniors in a group of people who walk around pretending to be something they are not is totally ridiculous and uncalled for. Myself and many of us in my post have been asked before if we are firefighters, and have always answered that, no, we are explorers. If you have a problem with a single person who is doing something like that, talk to them or their advising officer. I think you need to re-think your comments and use a little more sense before you make another post like this. The exploring program is intended for young people to learn about the fire service and to gain knowledge about whether the fire service is something they would like to be involved with someday. I personally believe you should be ashamed of yourself for your comments and you owe explorers an apology.

Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Originally posted by SCAFDEXP:
    I personally believe you should be ashamed of yourself for your comments and you owe explorers an apology.
    I couldn't agree more.

Leon Bass
    Jr. Firefighter (And Proud of it)
    SWVFD Sta. 16

[This message has been edited by 1627 (edited 11-18-2000).]

M ALDRICH
    Firehouse.com Guest

I couldn't agree more with the last two posts, making generalizations is usually not a good idea.

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

you guys dont be hard with him he is just saying what he thinks no one had ever told me that i cannot act like an old time never but i have never wanted to when i tell stories i make sure and tell people that they are second hand stories i always say that i am an explorer and i always tell people that i wish to be a old timer but all exploeres if they have been doing it for a while sometimes just dont tell people that they are an explorer if they dont ask because they wont respect you you have to act like you are big and mighty sometimes when working crowd control or they wont respect you and i just try to do that to the best of my ability and if someone ever starts to act out of control dont get to big you got to remeber to use the radio and ask for help

------------------
    Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Department
    Explorer post 2335

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Ok everyone... stop and take a deep breath and count to ten.... Now.. that's better

I am sure you have all heard the saying, "One bad apple spoils the whole bunch". I would bet that most of you currently have, or have had in the past, overzelous members of your groups who puff their chests out and try to act like big shots. And I am not just talking about members of Explorer or Junior units. It is a maturity thing. Unfortunately, it appears that ENGINE18-3 has encountered someone like this. Perhaps this is the only observation he has had to base his opinion on.

I would encourage you all to go back and read some of the responses to his post and try to put yourself in his shoes. Do you see where some of the frustrations being expressed could actually add fuel to the fire so to speak? Consider all of the angles when you are asked questions such as this. Then, respond in a mature and professional manner. You will find that you will gain a great deal of respect, especially from those who have NEVER met an Explorer or a Junior before.

And never forget.. "If you put a teaspoon of wine in a barrel of sewage, you get sewage. If you put a teaspoon of sewage in a barrel of wine, you get... sewage."

Keep the faith and stay safe!

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I can understand all of your comments stating not to go hard on this fellow for his comments, but I cannot and will not sit idly by while someone bashes me. No, he did not name me personally in the post, but by making a generalization about all explorers, he was talking about me, and I do not take that lightly. I personally hold the position of Explorer Capt. with the highest regard and will never, while an explorer, respond with a statement that I am a firefighter or anything other than an explorer. Think what you will about my comments, but I cannot allow explorers in general to be portrayed as a bunch of losers who walk around posing as something they are not. With anything around, there are going to be people who make it look bad, so please do not look at all explorers as this, because it is just not true.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer Captain
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Originally posted by SCAFDEXP:
    I can understand all of your comments stating not to go hard on this fellow for his comments, but I cannot and will not sit idly by while someone bashes me. No, he did not name me personally in the post, but by making a generalization about all explorers, he was talking about me, and I do not take that lightly.
    -sigh- I tried...

Maybe I should have said, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." Life is too short to get your shorts in a knot over someone's comments.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

[This message has been edited by MetalMedic (edited 11-20-2000).]

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Thanks MetalMedic.....we have a great cadet program at Auke Bay, Alaska that we are proud of. By the way...I am an "old fart" (24 years fire service), and I think the cadet program is a great tool for recruiting firefighters. Engine18-3, deal with the problem person, and enjoy the rest of the cadets. Life is too short to let loud mouthed individuals spoil a great program. Get rid of the problem person (or ignore them) and move on. There are big mouthed career firefighters too, who have not seen the inside of a barbeque, let alone a real fire. We usually ignore them too!

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

ENGINE18-3
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok here we go....

1st- Please reread my 1st sentence in my original post.

2nd- My Dept. does not have the Explorer program. Some of our neighboring depts. do and I usually ignore them on the fire ground. Where I base my experience with dealing with explorers is here at school. At the Big XII university I attend Firefighters and Explorers from around the country are involved in the degree plan. When you talk to them and you are sharing war stories and you ask well what did you do or there are inconstancies with there stories they usually admit that my dad told me this or this is what the guys told me. So that is what I have to base my opinions with.

3rd- SCAFDEXP--- I am not ashamed or will I ever apologize for what I said because I am the kind of person who doesn't voice my opinion if I don't truly don't believe it if people get offended then oh well they will get over it. And if you have never generalized a group in your life than as a man once said you can throw the first stone.

------------------
    The statements above are my own opinions

FF Greg Grudzinski
    Oaklyn Fire Dept.
    Station 18-3

[This message has been edited by ENGINE18-3 (edited 11-20-2000).]

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Engine 18-3:
    When you voice your opinion is your choice, but you darn better make sure you have the facts straight before you start making a generalization about a whole group of people. Many of the former explorers from our post and many of the other posts in my county have gone on to be career or paid on-call firefighters. They are a respectable bunch of guys/gals who mean nothing more than to better themselves and their communities, and for you to decide because a few people you go to school with are a bunch of hot-dogs who do nothing more than walk around talking out of their backsides is proposterous. Get your facts straight buddy, then we can talk about it. And to tell you the truth, sir, I am a realist. I do not generalize groups of people. I will sure as heck make a judgement on an individual based on their actions, but I never believe that a whole group of people is spoiled just because a few people that happen to belong to that column are "bad apples." That is just like me being a career firefighter and saying that all on-call firefighters are a bunch of wanna-be's who don't have half a clue about what they are doing. And you are darn right I am offended,and whether that bothers you or not makes no difference to me. And I have the right to voice my opinion, as do you. Just remember that these are future fellow brothers you are speaking of. Above all, stay safe out there, everyone. You are all important, be it an Explorer or Senior Firefighter.

------------------
    Nick Funk
    Explorer Captain
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Did it ever occur to anyone here that this guy might have posted here just to start an arguement? So what if he thinks all explorers/juniors are a bunch of wannabe kids who have nothing to do but hang around the fire station. Just ignore him. Save firehouse.com a few kb of space on the hard drive. Let everyone have a laugh and go back to talking about blue lights (oops).

klingerjr33
    Firehouse.com Guest

i agree with the post above. save this post for important tips, training, and meeting people. don't turn this site into a bashing club. if you don't think it will get bad if we keep it up it will get worse. just go look at www.pettyinc.com i'm ashamed to say i'm from the same county as that. just please guys just talk out problems don't argue. if you do eventually you will tear apart the entire service. i'll stop preaching now.

Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    JUNIOR FIREFIGHTER

stay low...stay safe!!!

RDWFIRE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

ENGINE18-3.....Greg, remember, explorers are young people that are very excited about what they do, and as teenagers, are prone to exaggeration. Let it slide. You really aren't that far ahead of them if you are still in college. That is not a slam, just a point. Be tolerant. Life, and really doing the job, will sort out the loud mouths from the rest of us. This ain't a big deal.....Let the cadets talk big. They will experience the "real deal" soon enough, and will realize it ain't all fun and games.

Be safe. The dragon lurks!!!

[This message has been edited by RDWFIRE (edited 11-26-2000).]

Engineer64
    Firehouse.com Guest

Some stations do not have the available manpower. My station for example, I have been packing up since I was 15. I am currently 20. As long as you left that face peice on the officer on the scene couldn't tell you apart from anyone else. I kept it low key though. That's not a cool thing to brag about. If you do it honestly and brag you run a risk of being persecuted. If you just say it as an ego booster, people will find out you're lyingand you will look like an /-\ss.

Thread Information