Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Firefight15
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am an explorer Firefighter and I am able to wear an SCBA (airpack). My Post trains on them often. Every member must pass a test and be proficient in the use of them. My post also allows explorers to wear an SCBA on the fire ground. I feel they are an Essential tool to have and use on the fire ground and in trianing. They are for everyone's benefit and protection.

Blake Meester
    Explorer Lieutenant
    Butte County Fire-Rescue
    Chico, CA

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my post, we are allowed to wear SCBA's in training, which we do alot. We wear SCBA's as much as we can to get us all used to breathing through them, and feeling confident wearing them. We do training which consists of the explorers doin search and rescue in an apartment complex packed up, but as soon as they feel they cant continue, or as soon as that low warning bell goes off, theyre out.

Brendan Hind
    Explorer Let.
    NSFD
    North Syracuse, NY

cafirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hey guys, I am a 17 y/o firefighter in california. I run with a volunteer company in a large contract city with CDF. First, I want to comment about that Jr. FF being in a situation with a major gas leak! That is stupid, what the heck were you doing in there. One of the first things they teach you in FF academy is personal safety. I think it would be ok if Jr. FF's are allowed to wear then in training but if they are on a scene they are there to basicly observe, and do minor stuff. I know it must drive you all nuts to stand there but oh well. Another reason I don't think why your dept's is letting you use them is because the expenses with doing fit test's and such plus and issueing masks. We wear MSA airpacks. Another thing is if you are untrained and airpack can get you killed real fast. You need to know how to reduce your profile and such. Airpacks snag real easy on stuff. Anyways, just wanted to add my 2 senses.

Thanks

We train with them at the station and the suppervision is watching TV as long as we dont take it off off the front line apparatus. But one time we got a call for a CO detector going off and a smell of natural gas. I was took to grab a CO detector and when i got inside they asked me where is my SCBA? But another time i was at the movies for an alarm activation i went in with a FF and after finding no cause he told me to bring down his SCBA. I put it on my back and went back tot the engine to put it back and one of the Lt. yelled at me "You didnt Scot up did you?" i was like Chip told me to bring it back. It really depends on the situation.

I am a Post Advisor in Connecticut. I think the confusion here is also when departments do not understand BSA rules vs OSHA rules and where they apply. While I do not have this in writing I was told verbally by staff at our state academy that OSHA does not govern EXPLORER POSTS because they are viewed as a club and not a work place. OSHA does however govern FIRE DEPARTMENTS. One other source of rules is whatever Insurance company covers your department. In the case of an actual EXPLORER POST that is the BSA.

There is no specific rule about Explorers using Air Packs on the Exploring website, but there are others, such as:

Explorers may not be substituted for trained personnel.

Explorers may be mobilized only as a post, with required leadership. Explorers are not on call as individuals.

Explorers may not enter or perform ventilation procedures on a burning structure.

So the need for an Air Pack outside of training just is not there.

Alan Shaw
    Public Safety Post 135
    Stamford,CT

hey this is the way it goes where i am the we the explorers have 5 old scot low presure packs for training and we use those all the time the department says that we arent supposed to be anywhere that we need a pack on the fire scene so we dont usualy where them but occasional live fires drills come arround and where right up there on the fire no interior attacks though so im not really sure what the laws or bsa rules are supposed to be it maily depends on the department that you are with
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

I know in pa we are allowed to use an air pack when we are 16 and in fire school to go into the burn building

I agree with all of you except under one condition. Say an Explorer/Junior arvives on a scence of a fully involved fire and the smoke is pouring out of the structure making it hard to breathe inside the "Fire Line" tape. Now, do you think that your department is not going to let you wear a scott in that kind of condition?

ex-stacy-@E9, I was in that situation for a while on Saturday, though the house wasn't fully involved there was a lot of f***ing smoke, and after a while it started blowing towards where I was standing, which was in front of our attack pumper managing the accountability chart, it started to get very smokey, but not bad enough for us to be put on a SCBA, if we needed it we could have asked the first aid squad to put us on some O2 for a while if it started to overwhelm us, which it didn't for me.
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

The Nokomis Explorer's are allowed to wear SCBA's in the burn building, with about a small fire in a trash can, just to produce 5% visibality, to see what it looks like
    Explorer
    Ladder 111
    Rescue 5
    Squad 288

In my department cadets and juniors are allowed to wear airpacks when we drill. We also are allowed to wear airpacks when we go to the fire school when we are 15.

my fire dept dosent have any rules for the ff about wearing air packs (i have had to give a class on a ba at a fire scene to a ff that was doing an exterior attack) but the explorers arent allowed to use air packs on fires (occasionaly we do) but we are trained on the ba's that our dept uses and we have 5 scot packs that we use for training
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

we gotta take the training and pass the 1 minute test to be able to respond, but we cant go on calls where we need em. hows that for idiocy? our post makes the explorers take the firefighter's test that they take to get their badge, but we dont get those either. pure lunacy, i tell ya.
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

I know this is a late post but i havnt been around and i just got this new name so anyways, My dept. i guess is cool with us using airpacks, but thats for getting close to the building we cannot fight from the inside, but as long as we know what we are doing pretty well its fine i guess. We do however need to take SCBA test and even thought pass is like 80 in the state, we need to get a 90 to pass for the dept.

Thread Information