fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

you are all stupid the only reason you should be able to leave is if you are 18 or older and pack qualified. i'm telling you,you guys are the biggest dam whackers with the lights and woo woos and you can't even **** on a fire yet.

Ladder Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Unless you can perform all the duties it takes to be a firefighter without supervision,(age included) you have no business leaving school, or responding with lights. GROW UP! I know what you are thinking, to that I say GROW UP!

[This message has been edited by Ladder Man (edited 02-18-2001).]

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I am explorer and same as you guys, Ive missed some calls that, yea, maybe I wanted to go on, but face it, School is really the most important thing in our lives right now. You cant get a "good" job without a "good" education. In my district, there really isnt a problem getting a crew out, and if they cant, mutual aid in our county is a great thing.

These are my opinions, and thanks for my time on the "box"

barrecityfdwannabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

i think you should be able to leave to go to a box.. hi nick copper pipe

aka nick the dick

barrecityfdwannabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

i wish i had a junior program

i know!!! i will make one with my friend nick copper pipe

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by barrecityfdwannabe:
    i think you should be able to leave to go to a box.. hi nick copper pipe

Ahh I knew there was a reason I stopped coming through this part of the fourms, Grow up this kind of imature behavior is going to get this thread closed!, Leaving school to answer the box a very very very very very bad idea!, Let the real Firefighter's fight the fire!, Stay in school and get yourself a good education in todays world the Fire Departments are taking highly qualified canidates that have some sort of college degreee, Stay in school, Plus who is lisbale if something happens to you while leaving school and going to the fire and you get hit?, The FD, Not to offend anyone but this is the dumbest and stupidest idea I have heard of, STAY IN SCHOOL, IT IS SO NOT WORTH IT!

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by MetalMedic:

Don't you mean the "anatomy" of a frog? So Texas has a law to give students another excuse to avoid their education. No wonder they said Texas was at the bottom in education during the Presidential Election. If the "adults" can't leave work, who is going to supervise the "juveniles" that show up for the fire? If there isn't sufficient manpower to handle the call, mutual aid should be called to fill that gap. There will be plenty of fires for you all to fight after you graduate.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE MUTUAL AIDE, I MUST AGREE 110% WITH METALMEDIC, IS IT REALLY WORTH IT TO LEAVE SCHOOL, HERE IS ONE ISSUE YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING ABOUT, WHO THE HECK GETS HELD LIABLE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE ENROUTE?, THIS IS THE WORST IDEA I HAVE HEARD OF STAY IN SCHOOL, THERE SHOULD BE A LAW IN TEXAS THAT SAYS EMPLOYERS MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO KEEP VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS FROM RESPONDING TO CALLS, GOD WHAT THE HELL WAS BUSH THINKING SIGNING THAT LAW INTO ORDER?.

[This message has been edited by Engine 101 (edited 02-21-2001).]

Engine 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Never heard of such a silly law, If I were were a Teacher in the Texas Education system and a student wanted to get up and leave to go supposedly "fight fire", I would not allow him, For you are ignoring a valid point brought up by one poster, How does the school know if you really are going to fight fire, For all we know you might be using that as an excuse to get out, Yeah sure there would be guidlines but it's just a really bad idea, I am a co advisor for my department's explorer post, Our city is very large and we have many schools in it, Our Explorers age ranger around 15 to 21, We discussued the issue and not of them thought very highly of it

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have to say probably not a good idea. School's important. Theres always gonna be another call.
    -Bill

fireNresq22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I THINK WHAT THE RULE SHOULD BE, IS INSTEAD OF PUNISHING YOUR FOR BAD GRADES, AWARD THOSE THAT HAVE GOOD GRADES, THEY CAN LEAVE IF ITS SOMTHING MAJOR, BUT IF UR GRADES FALL BELOW THE MINIMUM REQUIRED FOR YOUR DEPT. TEHN THAT PRIVELEDGE IS TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU, ONE PROBLEM WOULD BE THE INTERUPTION OF CLASS, BUT I THINK IT WOULD WORK.

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

About Texas having a law that requires schools to allow vols. to carry there pagers and respond is totally false!!!!!! I was a junior ff in Texas just 4 years ago and I am a officer of the same dept now. We have never allowed our juniors to carry pagers, and if they were caught at school with them they were terminated from the dept. School is a juniors first priority, not the fire dept. To think this was a legit law, makes me think some people need a reality check!!!

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also, duty crews are becoming alot more popular in the vol. fire depts in texas. Just last month we terminated our junior program. We no longer accept applications from anyone under 18!!

Explorer2770
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a question for everyone: Do you feel the same about EMTs and First Responders that are still in school to respond when their organization is the first line of defense against death?

Ohio won't let us, but I have met some Explorers/EMT-Bs that do this. Darien Connecticut is an example of this. (Also, they based In a Heartbeat on them.)

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by firemedic01:
    About Texas having a law that requires schools to allow vols. to carry there pagers and respond is totally false!!!!!! I was a junior ff in Texas just 4 years ago and I am a officer of the same dept now. We have never allowed our juniors to carry pagers, and if they were caught at school with them they were terminated from the dept. School is a juniors first priority, not the fire dept. To think this was a legit law, makes me think some people need a reality check!!!
    Thank you for clearing that up for us Firemedic, I thought it was odd that Gov Bush would allow such a silly law to be enacted,

natemarshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is another reason we should all scale back junior programs. They really dont help and all of the junior or cadet firefighters Ive ever worked with with the exception of one I work with now didnt belong anywhere near a fire or firestation. Too much liability, too much immaturity and this is after also working as a high school football coach, I know that not one of my players should be on a firescene.

My opinion alone.

chiefgebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

first of all if you have at least a b average you should be able to go. i am a senior in high school and attend vocational school for half the day. if there is a fire call i either hear the fire siren, see the trucks go by school, or see that something is going on my way to vocational school. even if myself and other explorers do not carry pagers we know if there is a call. several of my teachers are firefighters and have scanners in their rooms. also disrupting class is not a problem, because people ask me about fires and what the call is anyway. if someone in school hears about a fire they come to me or some of the other explorers because they know we have the details. my department has a mutual aid plan, but people from those other departments are at work too. if our members can not leave work who says those on mutual aid can. my school is a minute run from the fire hall. i know this because i have made the run several times. there are members of my department who seem to have a problem with explorers anyway, but even they are grateful too us at fires. all of those people who are against explorers in general or just leaving school remember the motto:

Many hands make light work.

my department has had two house fires in six days. to some this is not a lot but to us it is. at both of them we did not have enough people. one out of five trucks had a full crew. some trucks did not even get there until about a half hour after the initial alarm. against department regulations i drove my personal vehicle and transported several explorers with me. both times the chief pulled me asside and thanked me and fellow explorers for all the help. let us go on the calls.
    wfd. explorer chief gebel

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think you juniors get the big picture!!! That is school is your first respondsibility. I am going to college and I do not skip a class to go to a call. When you get a little older you will relize the fire dept. isn't everything. School and family play a much bigger role than the fire dept. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome that so many young people are intrested in this profession. Helping the community should make you feel good about yourself and make the community very grateful. Every school day, from the time you get to school until the time you leave the fire dept. should take the back seat.

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't leave school for any alarms, the main reason is because I don't carry my pager with me in school, if I do, it is turned off. The other reason is because we have career personnel on duty 24/7 so there will always be at least a minimal amount of personnel.

I am going to be a senior next year so I will have less classes and more time to respond if I want. I plan on going to school to be a firefighter so I will have plenty of time to respond to calls later.

EXPCAPT
    Firehouse.com Guest

My school allows us to go to calls as long as we bring a copy of the run form when we return. This proves to them that we were really at a call. I am a Sr. so i dont have many classes durring the day and that means I can go to more calls.

jdfinch2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

i know that in the state of Pa, no person under the age of 18 is allowed to enter a burning building operate pumps or arial devices or rescue tools the mose that they can do i hook up a hydrant fill scott tanks with the cascade, or be a scene goffer,

our school district has the policy that if a volenteer firefighter has a note signed but the dept. chief and there parents and mantain grades there is know problem with them responding from school. but the chief also lets them know that they have to show the knowlegde of when to leave and when not to if there is a fully involved structure fire they may respond but for a automatic smoke alarm stay put (the school dristrict controls students leaving school but making them follow the same rules that are set for all extra curiculer activites (grade eligability))

the chief also requires that all students that have written permition to leave school give him a photostatic copy of there report card. (so if your grades don't cut the chiefs aproval then you don't cut school

BFD182
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to sax I have mixed feelings on this issue. I think one key question that must be asked is will a student responding from school to an emergency do any real good? In my state we can not use those under 18 years old as interior firefighters, as a matter of fact they can not even become certified under 18. That limits what kind of real service they can provide. On the other hand they can become EMT's at 16. In the next town over to me the Explorer Post is the EMS, and the first due Ambulance relocates to the High School every morning. A duty crew is allowed to leave for calls.

If a department decides to adopt a response policy like this there needs to be realistic limits set on who can go, how many can go, and to what types of incidents they may go to. It would also be important to include teachers, principals and parents in the process, as well as the junior members themselves. Above all this can not just be an excuse to skip class.

As for leaving the Pager in the Office, I can not disagree with this enough. That would bring about a situation where you are asking an untrained person, most likely a secretary, to monitor a radio, and then decide if the call warrants a response. Any response at that point would be needlessly delayed at the possible cost of life or property. I can not imagine anything that would make a fire department or a school district undertake such a liability.

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

BIG THUMBS DOWN !!!! Kids need to be in school, you have an obligation to be at school and should make every effort to be there and learn all you can. You will, beleive it or not, use that information in the future-math for running the engine and figuring flows. Stay in school and learn, we'll take care of the fires until your all graduated and put through fire school!

------------------
    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

Jay19fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I am a jr. firefighter and am in charge of the other juniors in the department. Im only a sophmore and leave for fire calls, and my parents are ok with me leaving for the calls as long as i use my judgement. I have been an official member for 3 months now but was raised in the fire service. I think that juniors should be able to leave for anything but an alarm or smoke condition. I have left school quite a few times now for fire calls such as a working structure and mvas. It is a wonderful learning experience and that is what we are fire fighters for is to help people and if we can't leave school when there is a call then were not helping people when they need it most. This is my personal opinion and not the views felt by the department or townspeople.

------------------
    -JaY-

[This message has been edited by Jay19fire (edited 03-15-2001).]

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by CAPSAR432:
    People leave school for "Technical Training" at training programs around town like carpentry and electronics. Why should Jr. FF's be any different? Its on the job learning experience and probably a hell of alot more useful information then Advanced Lit. or Economics

To those who think they should be allowed to leave high school to play firemen, When you fail high school and most go to adult school to get or GED Becasue you've missed to much class becasue you leave school so often to answer the box instead of getting your education don't come crying to any of us here,Plus have you ever considerd wo gets held liable for you if you get an a accident leaving school to to a call?, Plus if you have your pager all we know you could give a friend your pager number have them page you for a phony alarm to get out of class, I Say no, Plus our city has a truancy law if you are caught on the streets between 8AM and 1PM, and you get caught by the PD they haul your butt back to school and slap you with a ticket and you must appear n court

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with you that staying in school is the best thing. You cant go anywhere in life with out high school degree, if not a college degree. I believe for those who are going into a college field other than FF. Stay in school. But if you want to go into
    FF proffesonaly, then high school should enroll you in a Job site type thing, where you spend a class period at a fire station and earn high school credit. OTherwise if your a junior and a vollie. stay in school.

Quick question....How can you have a friend phony page u over county fire dispatch on a minitor?....Most depts use voice minitors.
    Just curious if your dept uses alpha-numeric.

Jeremy
    Truxton Vol. FD

Thread Information