Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think this one is simple. Stay in school and don't worry about it. Fires will always burn and they will be there after you graduate. Get your education and don't let anything interfere with it. Granted I am FAR removed from being a junior, but I can tell you one thing. I would never trade my education for anything, not any fire or mva especially. I would never have wanted anyone to take my educational opportunities away from me so I would sure as hell not take it away from myself. Just my opinion.

There are a couple of other things to consider as well. My depts. junior program does not permit a junior to be at a scene during school hours unless it is a known school break such as Thanksgiving or Spring Break. Otherwise we consider you as skipping school and you can potentially be relieved of your membership. A few other things to consider:

1. During school hours, the school administration is acting "In Loco Parentis" or in place of your parents. Meaning they have responsibility for your well being as if you were there own. So letting you leave on your own to go (probably speeding) to a fire would really not be in their best interest.

2. With the unfortunate incidents that have happened in some school districts throughout the US, many schools are banning students from carrying any form of pager or cell phone so how would one find about this pending call?

3. What are you going to do when you get there? Change SCBA Cylinders? That's about all you can do based on Labor Laws. You cannot wear an SCBA, you cannot operate power tools and you cannot operate any apparatus until you are 18. If you are 18, you are not a junior so this question is no longer an issue.

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

i would like to clear my last post up i think that you should only be able to leave school if you are ONLY over the age of 18 and you are doing well in school, Honor Roll, Getting Dressed for gym (this is a problem in our school for a reason, but i dont know why)but no juniors should be able to leave school.

JE75at48
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm a junior, and I've missed some good calls because of school. But I'd have to say that Nobody should be leaving. I do feel that if you are a senior, and you set up with your school that Fire Fighting is going to be your Career Path, then you should be able to go. But other problem with that is the pagers. They are loud and annoying to others. The disrupt class, and it's not good to just jump up and run out of the school. We don't need more people frowning on the Fire Companies. People already frown apon it, in my school. I go to a private school, and in my Student Home I always hear complaints about me carrying my pager. I don't see why it bothers them but it does.

------------------
    Torched@newjersey.com

CousinVinny354
    Firehouse.com Guest

You know what-

The bottom line is that a million guys before the kids nowadays had to wait till after school to go on a call.

I was 18 and ready to leave school for the big AFA, but what the hell for...

Not to mention that education is more mportant that being the next man on the rig.

We all had to wait and you should too.Besides, a proby doesnt count as a whole fireman anyway....

[This message has been edited by CousinVinny354 (edited 02-16-2001).]

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by Justin Gershon:
    Hey I was just wondering if you think it is a good thing if high school students were able to leave school to answer a call such as a MVA, structure fire, auto fire or heavy rescue call. I know in my school alone there are over 20 students who are vollie firefighters. We probably could staff several eng's by or selfs only needing some one over 21 to drive. I wana know what you guys think is it a good idea or not?

No way Jose!, Never, Stay in school let the real Firefighter's handle it, By telling your teacher or school adminstrator your leaving to an actaul call that leaves them liable they are assuming your telling the truth, Plus it gives the explorers a good excuse to cut class when there is no such call

Plus what if an earthquake or some other disater were to hit and the Fire Department and EMS was tied up elsewhere?, With your training you can be a vaulabe asset to the FD since there not there yet, Basically HELL NO explorers should and hope never will be allowed to leave school stay in school you'll help your FD that way

------------------
    Engine101
    Tim Macias
    TimMacias101@Firehousemail.com
    I will fight fire for Electricity

[This message has been edited by Engine 101 (edited 02-17-2001).]

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

you are all stupid the only reason you should be able to leave is if you are 18 or older and pack qualified. i'm telling you,you guys are the biggest dam whackers with the lights and woo woos and you can't even **** on a fire yet.

Ladder Man
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Unless you can perform all the duties it takes to be a firefighter without supervision,(age included) you have no business leaving school, or responding with lights. GROW UP! I know what you are thinking, to that I say GROW UP!

[This message has been edited by Ladder Man (edited 02-18-2001).]

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I am explorer and same as you guys, Ive missed some calls that, yea, maybe I wanted to go on, but face it, School is really the most important thing in our lives right now. You cant get a "good" job without a "good" education. In my district, there really isnt a problem getting a crew out, and if they cant, mutual aid in our county is a great thing.

These are my opinions, and thanks for my time on the "box"

barrecityfdwannabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

i think you should be able to leave to go to a box.. hi nick copper pipe

aka nick the dick

barrecityfdwannabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

i wish i had a junior program

i know!!! i will make one with my friend nick copper pipe

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by barrecityfdwannabe:
    i think you should be able to leave to go to a box.. hi nick copper pipe

Ahh I knew there was a reason I stopped coming through this part of the fourms, Grow up this kind of imature behavior is going to get this thread closed!, Leaving school to answer the box a very very very very very bad idea!, Let the real Firefighter's fight the fire!, Stay in school and get yourself a good education in todays world the Fire Departments are taking highly qualified canidates that have some sort of college degreee, Stay in school, Plus who is lisbale if something happens to you while leaving school and going to the fire and you get hit?, The FD, Not to offend anyone but this is the dumbest and stupidest idea I have heard of, STAY IN SCHOOL, IT IS SO NOT WORTH IT!

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by MetalMedic:

Don't you mean the "anatomy" of a frog? So Texas has a law to give students another excuse to avoid their education. No wonder they said Texas was at the bottom in education during the Presidential Election. If the "adults" can't leave work, who is going to supervise the "juveniles" that show up for the fire? If there isn't sufficient manpower to handle the call, mutual aid should be called to fill that gap. There will be plenty of fires for you all to fight after you graduate.

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY WE HAVE MUTUAL AIDE, I MUST AGREE 110% WITH METALMEDIC, IS IT REALLY WORTH IT TO LEAVE SCHOOL, HERE IS ONE ISSUE YOU GUYS ARE FORGETTING ABOUT, WHO THE HECK GETS HELD LIABLE IF SOMETHING HAPPENS TO YOU WHILE ENROUTE?, THIS IS THE WORST IDEA I HAVE HEARD OF STAY IN SCHOOL, THERE SHOULD BE A LAW IN TEXAS THAT SAYS EMPLOYERS MAY NOT BE ALLOWED TO KEEP VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS FROM RESPONDING TO CALLS, GOD WHAT THE HELL WAS BUSH THINKING SIGNING THAT LAW INTO ORDER?.

[This message has been edited by Engine 101 (edited 02-21-2001).]

Engine 33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Never heard of such a silly law, If I were were a Teacher in the Texas Education system and a student wanted to get up and leave to go supposedly "fight fire", I would not allow him, For you are ignoring a valid point brought up by one poster, How does the school know if you really are going to fight fire, For all we know you might be using that as an excuse to get out, Yeah sure there would be guidlines but it's just a really bad idea, I am a co advisor for my department's explorer post, Our city is very large and we have many schools in it, Our Explorers age ranger around 15 to 21, We discussued the issue and not of them thought very highly of it

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Have to say probably not a good idea. School's important. Theres always gonna be another call.
    -Bill

fireNresq22
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I THINK WHAT THE RULE SHOULD BE, IS INSTEAD OF PUNISHING YOUR FOR BAD GRADES, AWARD THOSE THAT HAVE GOOD GRADES, THEY CAN LEAVE IF ITS SOMTHING MAJOR, BUT IF UR GRADES FALL BELOW THE MINIMUM REQUIRED FOR YOUR DEPT. TEHN THAT PRIVELEDGE IS TAKEN AWAY FROM YOU, ONE PROBLEM WOULD BE THE INTERUPTION OF CLASS, BUT I THINK IT WOULD WORK.

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

About Texas having a law that requires schools to allow vols. to carry there pagers and respond is totally false!!!!!! I was a junior ff in Texas just 4 years ago and I am a officer of the same dept now. We have never allowed our juniors to carry pagers, and if they were caught at school with them they were terminated from the dept. School is a juniors first priority, not the fire dept. To think this was a legit law, makes me think some people need a reality check!!!

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

Also, duty crews are becoming alot more popular in the vol. fire depts in texas. Just last month we terminated our junior program. We no longer accept applications from anyone under 18!!

Explorer2770
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a question for everyone: Do you feel the same about EMTs and First Responders that are still in school to respond when their organization is the first line of defense against death?

Ohio won't let us, but I have met some Explorers/EMT-Bs that do this. Darien Connecticut is an example of this. (Also, they based In a Heartbeat on them.)

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by firemedic01:
    About Texas having a law that requires schools to allow vols. to carry there pagers and respond is totally false!!!!!! I was a junior ff in Texas just 4 years ago and I am a officer of the same dept now. We have never allowed our juniors to carry pagers, and if they were caught at school with them they were terminated from the dept. School is a juniors first priority, not the fire dept. To think this was a legit law, makes me think some people need a reality check!!!
    Thank you for clearing that up for us Firemedic, I thought it was odd that Gov Bush would allow such a silly law to be enacted,

natemarshall
    Firehouse.com Guest

This is another reason we should all scale back junior programs. They really dont help and all of the junior or cadet firefighters Ive ever worked with with the exception of one I work with now didnt belong anywhere near a fire or firestation. Too much liability, too much immaturity and this is after also working as a high school football coach, I know that not one of my players should be on a firescene.

My opinion alone.

Thread Information