Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
    chiefgebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

first of all if you have at least a b average you should be able to go. i am a senior in high school and attend vocational school for half the day. if there is a fire call i either hear the fire siren, see the trucks go by school, or see that something is going on my way to vocational school. even if myself and other explorers do not carry pagers we know if there is a call. several of my teachers are firefighters and have scanners in their rooms. also disrupting class is not a problem, because people ask me about fires and what the call is anyway. if someone in school hears about a fire they come to me or some of the other explorers because they know we have the details. my department has a mutual aid plan, but people from those other departments are at work too. if our members can not leave work who says those on mutual aid can. my school is a minute run from the fire hall. i know this because i have made the run several times. there are members of my department who seem to have a problem with explorers anyway, but even they are grateful too us at fires. all of those people who are against explorers in general or just leaving school remember the motto:

Many hands make light work.

my department has had two house fires in six days. to some this is not a lot but to us it is. at both of them we did not have enough people. one out of five trucks had a full crew. some trucks did not even get there until about a half hour after the initial alarm. against department regulations i drove my personal vehicle and transported several explorers with me. both times the chief pulled me asside and thanked me and fellow explorers for all the help. let us go on the calls.
    wfd. explorer chief gebel

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't think you juniors get the big picture!!! That is school is your first respondsibility. I am going to college and I do not skip a class to go to a call. When you get a little older you will relize the fire dept. isn't everything. School and family play a much bigger role than the fire dept. Don't get me wrong, it is awesome that so many young people are intrested in this profession. Helping the community should make you feel good about yourself and make the community very grateful. Every school day, from the time you get to school until the time you leave the fire dept. should take the back seat.

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

I don't leave school for any alarms, the main reason is because I don't carry my pager with me in school, if I do, it is turned off. The other reason is because we have career personnel on duty 24/7 so there will always be at least a minimal amount of personnel.

I am going to be a senior next year so I will have less classes and more time to respond if I want. I plan on going to school to be a firefighter so I will have plenty of time to respond to calls later.

EXPCAPT
    Firehouse.com Guest

My school allows us to go to calls as long as we bring a copy of the run form when we return. This proves to them that we were really at a call. I am a Sr. so i dont have many classes durring the day and that means I can go to more calls.

jdfinch2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

i know that in the state of Pa, no person under the age of 18 is allowed to enter a burning building operate pumps or arial devices or rescue tools the mose that they can do i hook up a hydrant fill scott tanks with the cascade, or be a scene goffer,

our school district has the policy that if a volenteer firefighter has a note signed but the dept. chief and there parents and mantain grades there is know problem with them responding from school. but the chief also lets them know that they have to show the knowlegde of when to leave and when not to if there is a fully involved structure fire they may respond but for a automatic smoke alarm stay put (the school dristrict controls students leaving school but making them follow the same rules that are set for all extra curiculer activites (grade eligability))

the chief also requires that all students that have written permition to leave school give him a photostatic copy of there report card. (so if your grades don't cut the chiefs aproval then you don't cut school

BFD182
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have to sax I have mixed feelings on this issue. I think one key question that must be asked is will a student responding from school to an emergency do any real good? In my state we can not use those under 18 years old as interior firefighters, as a matter of fact they can not even become certified under 18. That limits what kind of real service they can provide. On the other hand they can become EMT's at 16. In the next town over to me the Explorer Post is the EMS, and the first due Ambulance relocates to the High School every morning. A duty crew is allowed to leave for calls.

If a department decides to adopt a response policy like this there needs to be realistic limits set on who can go, how many can go, and to what types of incidents they may go to. It would also be important to include teachers, principals and parents in the process, as well as the junior members themselves. Above all this can not just be an excuse to skip class.

As for leaving the Pager in the Office, I can not disagree with this enough. That would bring about a situation where you are asking an untrained person, most likely a secretary, to monitor a radio, and then decide if the call warrants a response. Any response at that point would be needlessly delayed at the possible cost of life or property. I can not imagine anything that would make a fire department or a school district undertake such a liability.

sarge552
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

BIG THUMBS DOWN !!!! Kids need to be in school, you have an obligation to be at school and should make every effort to be there and learn all you can. You will, beleive it or not, use that information in the future-math for running the engine and figuring flows. Stay in school and learn, we'll take care of the fires until your all graduated and put through fire school!

------------------
    "Stay Safe, Stay Low and lets Rock-n-Roll"

Jay19fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I am a jr. firefighter and am in charge of the other juniors in the department. Im only a sophmore and leave for fire calls, and my parents are ok with me leaving for the calls as long as i use my judgement. I have been an official member for 3 months now but was raised in the fire service. I think that juniors should be able to leave for anything but an alarm or smoke condition. I have left school quite a few times now for fire calls such as a working structure and mvas. It is a wonderful learning experience and that is what we are fire fighters for is to help people and if we can't leave school when there is a call then were not helping people when they need it most. This is my personal opinion and not the views felt by the department or townspeople.

------------------
    -JaY-

[This message has been edited by Jay19fire (edited 03-15-2001).]

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by CAPSAR432:
    People leave school for "Technical Training" at training programs around town like carpentry and electronics. Why should Jr. FF's be any different? Its on the job learning experience and probably a hell of alot more useful information then Advanced Lit. or Economics

To those who think they should be allowed to leave high school to play firemen, When you fail high school and most go to adult school to get or GED Becasue you've missed to much class becasue you leave school so often to answer the box instead of getting your education don't come crying to any of us here,Plus have you ever considerd wo gets held liable for you if you get an a accident leaving school to to a call?, Plus if you have your pager all we know you could give a friend your pager number have them page you for a phony alarm to get out of class, I Say no, Plus our city has a truancy law if you are caught on the streets between 8AM and 1PM, and you get caught by the PD they haul your butt back to school and slap you with a ticket and you must appear n court

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I agree with you that staying in school is the best thing. You cant go anywhere in life with out high school degree, if not a college degree. I believe for those who are going into a college field other than FF. Stay in school. But if you want to go into
    FF proffesonaly, then high school should enroll you in a Job site type thing, where you spend a class period at a fire station and earn high school credit. OTherwise if your a junior and a vollie. stay in school.

Quick question....How can you have a friend phony page u over county fire dispatch on a minitor?....Most depts use voice minitors.
    Just curious if your dept uses alpha-numeric.

Jeremy
    Truxton Vol. FD

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by JMiller02:

I agree with you that staying in school is the best thing. You cant go anywhere in life with out high school degree, if not a college degree. I believe for those who are going into a college field other than FF. Stay in school. But if you want to go into
    FF proffesonaly, then high school should enroll you in a Job site type thing, where you spend a class period at a fire station and earn high school credit. OTherwise if your a junior and a vollie. stay in school.

Quick question....How can you have a friend phony page u over county fire dispatch on a minitor?....Most depts use voice minitors.
    Just curious if your dept uses alpha-numeric.

Jeremy
    Truxton Vol. FD

My department is not a volunteer Fire department none of our members except the Fire Chief have pagers that are FD issued, The explorers are not issued department pagers either, I have a friend who is an Explorer with a Vollie FD all there members have voice pagers but NOT the explorers, He has a regular numeric pager, I have gone to a few calls when I am not on duty but that's only because they're a few blocks away from where I live, How do I found out, If I hear there sirens then I'll go, But I think that explorers should not even be allowed to have any type of pager or minitor, Your an Explorer not a Firefighter

Mike18fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think junior firefighters should be allowed to leave school. You can always go back and get the missed notes and assingments but they guys at the fire need someone there to be doing stuff for them. If there were no juniors at a fire, you would have to sacrafice some fire 1 certified ff's on work outside. You need as many men as possible.

BDOG163
    Firehouse.com Guest

As I read the different posts it is pretty evident which juniors leave for calls. Some of the spelling and grammer is amazing. Please stay in school, as an "old timer" I am counting on you young people.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

I probably answered this before, but I'll answer it again...

>> Hey I was just wondering if you think it is a good thing if high school students were able to leave school to answer a call such as a MVA, structure fire, auto fire or heavy rescue call.

No. Absolutely not. Nope. No way. Negative. Not for any kind of call. No exceptions.

You've got about 45 more years to fight fires, but you only get one real shot at getting your education. What you do while you're in school will define your possibilities for the rest of your life.

Clear enough?

>> I know in my school alone there are over 20 students who are vollie firefighters. We probably could staff several eng's by or selfs only needing some one over 21 to drive. I wana know what you guys think is it a good idea or not?

But, unless the law on Juniors where you are is very different from Pennsylvania's, you can't possibly staff engines by yourselves. PA restrictions prohibit anyone under 18 from entering a burning building, operating pumps, aerials, or power equipment, and a host of other activities (at least, apart from training evolutions). If your restrictions are anything like PA's, what could you and your crew of Juniors really do?

The whole idea behind Junior firefighter programs should be to let young people spend some time learning the basics and getting interested so that they are better prepared to hit the ground running when they become adults (at age 18). If your department can't cover its responses without putting Juniors on the front line, it's time to either recruit like crazy, get some mutual aid going, or start talking about getting minimal paid staffing set up for the daytime.

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

As a junior myself, I strongly believe that students shouldn't be allowed to answer calls during school. Unless your like 18 and a senior, which in my dept. would make you a regular member, and responding only to something major like a working structure or a exrication. Though Juniors shouldn't, we're not of that much importance to warrant to miss learning things.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

So, here's my question.

You claim that Explorering should only be there for teens to learn and observe, before 'Hitting the ground running (as adults ag 18)' . Or something to that affect.

So, the moment everyone here turns 18, we're all set for life!

Please, that's like drinking laws. As if, somehow, magically, I'm smarter and more responsible on my 21st birthday, but not the day before.

I know a lot of Junior's I'd much rather ride in the rig with under code, then some seniors.

SBVFD-EXPLORER
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe you should stay in school. You can catch calls all summer long, after school, weekends, days off. Why do u want to go to calls and risk missing a quiz or missing notes, maybe the day u missed there could be a test on and you could fail. I don't think calls are worth missing school for. there's enough time after school to catch calls. You have to realize that 20 years down the road when you haven't fraduated high school because u missed and failed classes, you might not be interested in the fire department anymore. High school is important for the rest of your life. I personally would like to catch calls, but, if you can't operate pumpers, hurst tools, ariels, etc why would you go to a call?

Just think about it.

Bryan

------------------
    Sound Beach Volunteer Fire Department- The Pride of the East Side

My Photo Album

MTFEMS explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

As an explorer I know I would love to leave for a big call. But we are not allowed to leave for the most part. the explorers are a big help to the firefighters but we need to stay at school. I would not mind missing a MVA because I know there will be others to go on and that is the same for fires. The ONLY reason any of our explorers are allowed to leave is if it is a HUGE fire and it is a industry building and they have call a lots of other departments to help, then they call and get us out of school. I know I have missed many house fire that the house burned down during school or on school night. but we just have to remember that we have a lot of time to catch other fires.

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a former Junior FF and now a Firefighter-EMT, I strongly agree that juniors/eplorers SHOULD NOT leave school. I know the pains of going to practice on Tues nights when I was a junior and hearing about some of the calls and getting PO'd that I couldn't leave. But now as I look back, I'm glad I wasn't allowed. It let me concentrate on my studies and get classes that I needed to go for Fire Op's and esepcially EMT..You think Biology, Chemistryand Physics are joke classes...Wait until you take your EMT basic, Intermediate or Medic. All those classes are a big part of it. As for leaving school, there wasn't awhole lot I coudl do until I was 18...In the Commonwealth of Massachusettes,along with quite a few states I would imagine, you have to be 18 to even touch a charged line or go anywhere near a burning building. It gets me frustrated almost to the point of leaving a scene, when I see juniors from out of state depts (I live right on 2 state borders) climbing ladders with 2 1/2" and they obviously do not know what they are doing. I was at one structure when the out of state dept had 5 juniors on a ladder with a 2 1/2. they were the only company on that side..everyone else was attacking from he opposite side...they almost got blown off the ladder when the line was charged,and again when the other co's were doing an aggressive attack from the opposite. Needless to say, that engine company was asked to leave the scene if the dept could not produce "full fledged" ffs
    Well, I think I've rambled on enough...

Les_Jesper
    Firehouse.com Guest

I first joined my Fire Dept. when I was fifteen years old. In a rural area we never have to worry about lawsuits to the extreme that other areas do. Having Junior Firefighters was greatly supported by the Teachers and Administration in our school. They always allowed us to leave because who knew, maybe it was one of their houses on fire. During the day there is not always that many older FD members as many have jobs in other towns and so on. So when there was a fire during the day there might not be such a great number of responders. But at least with the Junior FF's in school, there was at least an assurance of at least a couple of engine companies. On some occasions I even had to drive trucks to the scene because of a lack of older member. So I feel that allowing Junior FF's to respond out of school is a good idea. What I learned by being a FF will help me out more in life than what I learned in school.

Thread Information