+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 First ... 234567815 ... Last
    Forum Member

If your department needs help that bad, pulling kids out of school isn't the answer. I'll call mutual aid from the whole county if I have to.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy04 View Post
    I think leaving school isnt the answer... as much as i would love to. Although I think if you are 18 and have all your training you should beable to leave: on the following calls:
    Structure fire
    MVA's
    Water Rescues

There is no sence of leaving school if you have no training. You must get an education.

I am 17 and certified firefighter in PA but do not have my Emt and not 18. So i shouldnt be able to leave school.
    You shouldn't have pagers on in class to begin with, education should come first.

Forum Member

how are you a certified firefighter in PA, but not 18. Or were you under the old essentials rules, where interior operations, albeit without a live burn was just taught to everyone. New rules state you must be 18 to take the interior module of essentials.

FIGJAM

Stay in school- it's more important...
    Luke

Forum Member

I agree with everyone here school should come first. Plus if it is that large of a fire there will still be work to do after school. As far as the interior class goes in South Carolina you can take the OSHA 1152 Basic Interior Firefighting but must be atleast 16 and a member of an explorer post not just a junior firefighter. You will not get the certification until you turn 18 but you can take the class. Im not sure how my department will handle the leaving for calls situation because next school year we will have people in school that are 18 and have there certification.

Forum Member

Okay I've pretty much read the last 7 pages of post. I think it's a bad idea to leave school. Yes, mind you I do carry my pager to school but, it stays off until the 3 o'clock bell rings. There's no point in disturbing a class to run to a call. I don't know about ya'll but juniors here can't really do anything. That's why we're called GOPHERS!!! I don't understand if you don't have enough people responding to calls and you have to depend on you jr.firefighters then it's a sad day in h*ll......Yes, I dounderstand some people aren't able to leave work but that's what other fire dept.'s are for.

Forum Member

Circumstances. Period.

Here's my perspective: I'm on an all-youth SAR group - on-call 24/7/365. We get a ton of calls because we not only serve as the light-duty rescue team for our county, but we do operational assistance for police and fire. Rolling out hose, scene security, evidence searching, traffic direction, etc. We're not explorers, but we do much of the same stuff for the fire dept when they need it.

We do get calls during school. If it's a critical SAR thing, we go, because if we don't it's on police or fire and we don't want to keep them doing stuff that only they can do. If it's a huge deal like a plane crash or gigantic structure fire, we might go.

Other than that, we avoid leaving school. We're not police or firefighters, and they can do the things we sometimes help them with. 99% of the time we're just basically doing them a favor and freeing them from a task that some trained kids can do so they can go on to bigger tasks that trained kids can't do. It's rarely a matter of life or death.

Keep in mind that we also have a grade policy and D's and F's are simply not tolerated, so missing a test is usually okay because our teachers understand the situation and we'll make it up. If you want to leave school for calls, you bet your *** you better be a good student and make up anything you missed.

Forum Member

Why is that all the topics made in this forum are so pointlessly argued. Not even a point for me to think of a response to a topic that has such an obvious answer...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fireguy04 View Post
    I think leaving school isnt the answer... as much as i would love to. Although I think if you are 18 and have all your training you should beable to leave: on the following calls:
    Structure fire
    MVA's
    Water Rescues

There is no sence of leaving school if you have no training. You must get an education.

I am 17 and certified firefighter in PA but do not have my Emt and not 18. So i shouldnt be able to leave school.

Regardless of your training level you should not leave school anyways. Your not on the front lines at a structure fire, your in the back ground doing odd jobs. Why jump school for that. MVA's your not operating the tools or anything. Whats the sense in leaving. Water Rescue. If your making Water Rescues your dept has issues. Once again why leave.

It all boils down to, As it's been hashed out here many a time, STAY IN SCHOOL. Get your education first, worry about going to a call for after school or when you Graduate. I left school when I was a Jr, and to be honest I regret it sometimes now because some of those things I missed out on may have been things that I messed up on during a test or exam.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mihlrad View Post
    Why is that all the topics made in this forum are so pointlessly argued. Not even a point for me to think of a response to a topic that has such an obvious answer...
    If you don't like the topics in these fourms maybe you shouldn't browse them. These Jr's and Explorers have questions that they may not want to ask out in the main fourms and get razzed for. If your not going to help out with anything why bother wasting everyones time with your useless babble!
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Why Leave

Well let me start by saying that when i was in high school we were able to leave for calls as long as are gpa's were above 2.0. BUt looking back all i did was abuse the privlage. I had a Minitor 3 pager which stored calls on it there for i would go to class hit the button and say hey got to go there is a call. Abuse at its finest. Ok lets look at the the other big fact. All i could do while in high school was take up space. I had no fire card no EMT card nothing. We were glorified gofers, we were not needed. In one of the posts some one said that they could staff a couple engines with the high schoolers. Thats great a truck full of gofers to grab equipment for the one 21 year old dude who is driving. Usless! Stay in school, graduate with a 4.0 GPA go to college get your fire science degree then you Prehospital Medicen degree, then go to Fire school and Paramedic school and help your community and get a geat job. I speak from experience. I did not go to college and now all these guys are getting jobs with degrees and such and i am left with part time work. STAY IN SCHOOL!!!

Forum Member

Talking

I left school when the tones went off with no negative effects. I graduated a year early as an honor grad, and always kept at least a 3.5 GPA. I hated class, never studied and never did homework. I knew that firefighting was what I was going to do for the rest of my life and sitting in HS having to listen to the instructor help the other kids master stuff that I could pick up in a few minutes was boring. Going and fighting fire wasn't. Easy choice for me. I'm outta school now and 3 semesters into my Fire Science degree and have kept a 4.0 the whole time. I guess it just depends on who you are.

My opinion on kids being able to leave:
    1)make them keep at least a 3.0 GPA to run ANY calls with the dept.
    2)ditto with good behavior
    3)have parents permission to leave school
    4)have dept's minimum level of training
    5)let them know what calls they can leave for and which ones they can't

Just my 2 cents.

Thumbs up

i like the idea of leaving school to answer a call. but in the same sense i dont think it is a good idea either.. yes it is a good idea cause u can make fire calls more espicially if are really into fireifghting. but then again it isnt cause why should you be allowed special privaledge to leave the school and no one else even though it is a fire call. i think that it is a good idea but at the same time a bad idea. if i could make the decision i would totally go with letting us leave to answer a workin structure fire cause someones life could be on the line and then thats were we come in.. soo i agree only workin strucutre fire or mva we should be allowed to leave for....

Forum Member

As a junior, what will you be doing to save said life?

Senior guys will be inside making the grab. Senior guys will be on the tool, and performing patient care until EMS takes over. Senior guys will be on the lines, protecting the guys using the tools and making the grab.

While having a junior or two around is helpful in certain circumstances, you shouldn't ever be the difference between life and death. If you are, time to think about things like paid staffing, and not letting the kids out of school early.

Forum Member

I don't think I've ever replied to any of the innumerable threads posted here about this very subject. But I'll bite on this one: stay in school! Just do it. I realize there are some circumstances out there that seemingly force fire departments to adapt their policies to allow y'all out of school, but I just don't think it's something that should be done. Down to the core issue with no strings attached education is paramount to anything else.

My department has its day-time staffing issues like others. When I was in school there was a few of us that were well trained. But we never dreamed of leaving school because that's what we were told mutual aid was for. And it was pounded into our head repeatedly how important our educations were, looking back I don't disagree one bit.
    Last edited by FiftyOnePride; 07-04-2007 at 05:40 PM.
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HazMat36 View Post
    if i could make the decision i would totally go with letting us leave to answer a workin structure fire cause someones life could be on the line and then thats were we come in.. soo i agree only workin strucutre fire or mva we should be allowed to leave for....
    Why? What would you do when you get there?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HazMat36 View Post
    i like the idea of leaving school to answer a call. but in the same sense i dont think it is a good idea either.. yes it is a good idea cause u can make fire calls more espicially if are really into fireifghting. but then again it isnt cause why should you be allowed special privaledge to leave the school and no one else even though it is a fire call. i think that it is a good idea but at the same time a bad idea. if i could make the decision i would totally go with letting us leave to answer a workin structure fire cause someones life could be on the line and then thats were we come in.. soo i agree only workin strucutre fire or mva we should be allowed to leave for....
    That's a prime example why you should stay in school right there!

If you can't even form a proper sentance you have no reason to be leaving school to fight fires. Just my thoughts anyways.
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 07-04-2007 at 10:06 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Thats a prime example why you should stay in school right there!

If you can't even fourm a proper sentance you have no reason to be leaving school to fight fires. Just my thoughts anyways.

I guess you speak from experience!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 07-04-2007 at 09:51 PM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    I guess you speak from experience!
    HAHA. Well done Cap. Well done.

Yes it shows I went to a few too many calls rather than staying in school!

DON'T BE LIKE ME KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by ndvfdff33; 07-04-2007 at 10:11 PM.

Ryan

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    HAHA. Well done Cap. Well done.

Yes it shows I went to a few too many calls rather than staying in school!

DON'T BE LIKE ME KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33 - the poster child for the 'Stay in School Fool' campaign.

J/k
    JLS
    MFC
    51 Pride - R.I.P. Sandy
    Alarm 200644004, I won't ever forget.

Remember you only have 1*.

IACOJ

Cool

I am Jr for a Vollie Dept. and my school lets me leave school for calls during classes, but i choose not too because school is more important. But study halls a diffrent story because my study halls are my last two classes.If I have all my homework done I will go. I mean yeah I want to be on the truck but school comes first. End of story SCHOOL COMES FIRST!!!!!

Forum Member

Default sorry guys

I cannot for the life of me justify a student leaving school (no matter what grade) to go on any kind of fire run....first off im sorry bout that if anybody takes offense to this but im noticing quite a few juniors explorers vollies and career making firefighting out to be some kind of game that we play...while i do agree on one side that you probably could do some good for the town county etc by helping with manpower for the day I also believe that your education is first and foremost there will always be somebody to take that run if you dont for these departments that have manpower issues during the day instead of pulling a student out of school wh dot you obtain a mutual aid agreement with surrounding departments ...the junior firefighting/explorer program is specifically designed to teach younger people about firefighting as a career (volunteer or paid) so why would we pull them out of the education that will help them develop in life to teach them about firefighting...oh well just my thoughts on the issue..and as for this fighting crap time to grow up boys we are representing the public safety service and it shows alot about us when we put each other down and fight over stupid issues like this

slfd07
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fire_2000 View Post
    I agree with the statement that no explorer/jrff should be able to leave school because of a fire call or MVA. there should be enough members to go to the call and if there isn't there is always the option of mutual aid. I know here the school will allow us to respond to a structure fire only if the captain or chief comes to the station to sign them out. we dont have pagers so they will just call our names over the PA
    system. therefore no one but the jr ff/explorers will know what is happening. The only problem that we have is we have a couple of members who are still in school but are 18 and already took there ff1 test and is emt's. so it can be a problem but we all here know that our education is a lot more important then an MVA or Fire. I could see if the call is at the high school and they are already there they can respond, i have had once a fire alarm at my highschool and everyone evac. the school and i went to the principal to aske permission to stay with the fire truck and help them out. but there are also other times we get calls at our highschool and we aren't allowed ..well we dont go to the call. we all understand that we are at school to learn and the firehouse is for after and before school.

You are forgetting that your department is not the only understaffed department around the problem is that you taking another 3 to 4 other company's out of service when you could have hs's do the job with a senior officer

Forum Member

This stuff truly baffles me. There is NO need for jr FF's, Explorers, Cadets, etc to respond emergent to a call (unless on a ride along), respond to a call in a POV, respond emergent in said POV, or even leave school to go to a call. Hate to break it to you, but you really are not that important.

Sure you may feel cool because you can leave and you are a glorified fire buff or what have you. That still doesn't hide the fact you are not that important to be taken out of school. Someone said using mutual aid or having other companies out of service when there are HS's to do the job. What pick up hose and clean up? The responding dept can handle that and send mutual aid back, doesn't take that long to get another rig ready for service to respond to other calls.

I was in a Fire Protection program in college, studying to be a FF, Most of my classmates were volunteers or interns with a fire department in the area. All who carried a pager were certified FF's. In our program we COULD leave if needed. Guess what...NOBODY left class to answer a page. It was actaully an embarassment if you were in class and your pager went off. Respect for classmates should be maintained.

Thing is each dept represented by a classmate had the same staffing issues as any other department. These were also certified actual FF's, not explorers or jr FF's and still no one left. Why?.....because getting the education is more important. Anyone can pick up equipment and hoses and bring them back to get cleaned. EVERY dept I ever went to had a hose rack with clean hose to put on a rig while the dirty stuff was cleaned. There is NO reason at all to have kids do this work. Even on the dept I'm with now, a crew of four can get an engine back in service within an hour to hour and half. That is taking off ALL hose (excluding LDH), hydrotesting it, and putting it back on. In a fire situation, even if a pump was stripped clean of hose, it took no more than a half hour to have the pump ready to roll again, and that was taking our time.

If you honestly think you are that important that you need to leave school to answer a call....you are only fooling yourself.
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 07-19-2007 at 02:30 AM.

Forum Member

jccrabby3084,

Well said man. This coming from a Fire Explorer, there is NO reason we need to leave the school for any type of call. We are not paid firefighters, and are not to be treated as one, ESPECIALLY when we're in school.

I say the same thing, when things with family, etc come up when they fall on the same time as fire explorer meetings, the explorers don't pay the bills, and family's first in my book.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information