Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 123411 ... LastLast
    Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink Leaving school to answer the Box?

Hey I was just wondering if you think it is a good thing if high school students were able to leave school to answer a call such as a MVA, structure fire, auto fire or heavy rescue call. I know in my school alone there are over 20 students who are vollie firefighters. We probably could staff several eng's by or selfs only needing some one over 21 to drive. I wana know what you guys think is it a good idea or not?
    Thanks
    Justin
    Altamont vol FD
    Albany co NY

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

A BIG NEGATIVE. You are in School to learn, not to be running to calls. In fact, you should not even be able to carry your pager with you. If your town relies that heavily on Expolers or high school ff, then maybe it is time for them to look for an alternative.

------------------
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

CAPSAR432
    Firehouse.com Guest

People leave school for "Technical Training" at training programs around town like carpentry and electronics. Why should Jr. FF's be any different? Its on the job learning experience and probably a hell of alot more useful information then Advanced Lit. or Economics

bfd1071
    Firehouse.com Guest

capsar
    I think it is two different things you are talking about. One, leaving school and doing carpentry. Is this part of a school program? I went to a Vocational HS. I left school also and worked out in the field, Working was part of my school. Another thing, i was also under the school insurance. Having 20 kids jump up out of there seats and run to there cars and go screaming of school property is dangerous, and disturbing to others! Stay in school, there will be another call later to spark.

------------------
    ** The opionions are mine and mine alone, they are not that of my dept or the local**

jwd37
    Firehouse.com Guest

As much as I'd like to leave it isn't a good idea. Pulling a crews is a problem with many fire companies but having kids respond from school isn't the answer.

Joe
    webmaster - centralpafire.com
    Junior - Company 37

CCFDE-701
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think that a explorer should beable to leave on MVA's and Structuree fire's if they have a ride from school or the school is close enoght that the person can run there. But I also don't think people should abuse it if the could. That is prob. one of the reason that they don't let us.

------------------
    Exploere Lt. Krebs
    Central Campbell Fire Dist.
    Station 7
    Fighting Engine Co 701
    You Light'em We'll Fight'em

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think Jr.FireFighters whome are 18 and are seniors should be able to leave.
    Only if its a major structure fire. Also
    after the call, the student should come back to school and get the missed assignments.
    Also they should have a and maintain passing average to leave school.
    Thats just what I think. Let me know if you guys feel differently.

Thanks,

Jeremy

firehat87
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

You're all missing one important fact about school response: it's in the day. The adults of the department really can't leave work, which makes the high school kids all the more important. In Texas, the law requires schools to allow volunteers to carry their pagers and leave school for any call. I know if my house is burning down, I won't care if five high school kids miss that day's worksheet on the biology of a frog.

------------------
    Be safe.

MetalMedic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Originally posted by firehat87:
    You're all missing one important fact about school response: it's in the day. The adults of the department really can't leave work, which makes the high school kids all the more important. In Texas, the law requires schools to allow volunteers to carry their pagers and leave school for any call. I know if my house is burning down, I won't care if five high school kids miss that day's worksheet on the biology of a frog.

Don't you mean the "anatomy" of a frog? So Texas has a law to give students another excuse to avoid their education. No wonder they said Texas was at the bottom in education during the Presidential Election. If the "adults" can't leave work, who is going to supervise the "juveniles" that show up for the fire? If there isn't sufficient manpower to handle the call, mutual aid should be called to fill that gap. There will be plenty of fires for you all to fight after you graduate.

------------------
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Last year we all argued about Juniors and Blue Lights { Which they don't need } Now it seems leaving school is the issue....We need to give this topic a rest....Put Plain and Simple Juniors need to remain in the Class-Room until the 3 O'Clock Bell...not the 10am beep..beep...beep..."Brush Fire" I Knoe the Juniors want to be there and yes people we need you out there but not during school hours...Your Education is more important than a Fuel Spill or a Factory Fire Well Involved....Chief Officers should have a mutial aid plan in place to off-set the low man-power during the day....I Personnaly work 3 miles from my station yes, carry my pager but don't respond because I have a car, mortgage, and a little boy to pay for...Just like all High-School Members of a Fire Company have things to learn ...And Yes firehat87 you need to be corrected it is the "anatomy" of a frog...see if you'd shut the beeper off and listen to the bio teacher you would know that...{ Had to bust your chops}

cowboy12001
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I am kind of in the middle of the decision. My high school tells us that if we bring our pagers to school, then we should leave them in the office. I beleive that if the call was serious enough, then they will call us and the school will announce it over the PA.

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

In reply to your post.... I think you should have your pager on you. If you left it in the office and they had to announce it.
    Let me ask you this...What if the call affected a students family or loved one?. IT could create a panic. So, I think you should have your pager on you. So only YOU know whats going on and you can inform your princepal.

Just my two cents. Not that its worth anything.

Jeremy

Truxton Vol. FD

fire_2000
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I agree with the statement that no explorer/jrff should be able to leave school because of a fire call or MVA. there should be enough members to go to the call and if there isn't there is always the option of mutual aid. I know here the school will allow us to respond to a structure fire only if the captain or chief comes to the station to sign them out. we dont have pagers so they will just call our names over the PA
    system. therefore no one but the jr ff/explorers will know what is happening. The only problem that we have is we have a couple of members who are still in school but are 18 and already took there ff1 test and is emt's. so it can be a problem but we all here know that our education is a lot more important then an MVA or Fire. I could see if the call is at the high school and they are already there they can respond, i have had once a fire alarm at my highschool and everyone evac. the school and i went to the principal to aske permission to stay with the fire truck and help them out. but there are also other times we get calls at our highschool and we aren't allowed ..well we dont go to the call. we all understand that we are at school to learn and the firehouse is for after and before school.

HolleyFireBoy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

For the most part, I think the trend of the replies of this topic is correct. As much as any of us who are sane would like to leave for a call, we shouldn't. At my school, you can sign yourself out if you are 18, so the school wouldn't have a choice , since most 18 year olds are FFs and not Explorers anyway. But as for the rest of us, we're gonna have to deal with the fact that we have to sit at school and dream about being at the scene. As for pagers, we're not supposed to have them, but anybody with an alpha pager carries them anyway. Just set 'em to vibrate and put 'em in your pocket. It's only wrong if you get caught. If we had a call at the school, like a fire alarm, I'm going in. They can deal with it afterwards. Besides, our principal is reasonable and he'd probably let us back in to investigate anyway.

------------------
    If you find yourself at a fire scene not knowing what to do, remember one thing: Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!

[This message has been edited by HolleyFireBoy (edited 02-04-2001).]

cowboy12001
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I think it would be okay as long as the kids grades are not being affected.

wlfdtr12
    Firehouse.com Guest

The principal actually approached us about the idea of leaving for calls. She knew about our program and was interested in helping us and the town out. Only juniors and seniors who have at least a C average can participate. We carry pagers on tone activated. We are one of the only few schools in the state that let firefighters wear pagers during school. We leave for all calls except for CO calls, wires down, calls at the airport, or mutual aid calls. We can't leave during tests, quizes, finals, midterms, labs, presentations, or any time the teacher says we can't. The teacher has the final say if we can leave their class and we must make up all work. It works very well and the teachers are 110% for it.

Anthony D. Ruggiero
    Explorer Captain/EMT-B
    Windsor Locks Fire Dept. Exp. Post 50
    Windsor Locks, CT

86Rescuetech
    Firehouse.com Guest

This will spark some more replies. If you are found on the street during school hours, you are being truant. I was a JR F/F a few years back and yes, it was very hard to go to the station after school and see you missed one. Structure fire, MVA, whatever, you should stay in school. When you get into the real world, those "boring economics, or algebra classes might come in handy. Also, you will be wishing you could go back to school and leave at 1-2pm. Pagers are a big issue anymore. In my area, you cannot have a pager, phone, PDA, or anything like that on you when you enter school. It is considered contraband. And to the reply about "only leaving for structure fires", if you are in a progressive co. and have a few jobs a week, think how much time you will be missing. Think about it for a minute. The short time you spend in school will greatly outweigh the time you spend at a call. Also, some Workmans Comp plans will not cover you during school hours if you get hurt. Be safe.

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

While I was a junior fireman, i never left school to answer calls of any kind. i turned 18 at the end of my first semester of my senior year, and was quickly added to the ranks of my local FD. I had always had good grades in high school and my counselors told me that I actually didn't have to come back for my second semester of my senior year, sice i had already had all my credits and I had already been accepted to college. But i came back anyway(who wants to miss their senior year, PARTY!) i took some easy classes like weightlifting and public speaking, so even if i wanted to i could leave to go to calls, but i didn't leave unless it was a major fire requiring major help...i just didnt see the point of leaving my school(which was 10 miles away from my fire district) to go to a medical cal or a MVA or any other simple calls. I think that if you are a Jr. FF/explorer that you should stay in school because firefighting, as fun and exciting as it is, won't get you into college or get you a nice job (unless you want to be a fireman). There will be more fires.....trust me.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

WELL, I know it is a hard few years before graduation when you can't go to calls. I had to suffer through it myself. The easiest way to solve it is to ban pagers in school! That is how we solved our problem, before it even became one. Sure I missed some stuff, fires, jaws calls etc. But you know what, if you are serious about the profession you will have many years of fires and mva's ahead of you. As far as the manpower issue, what good is it to have 20 jr's who can't do interior attacks and shoudn't be running the jaws on calls on a scene without supervision? That's what mutual aid is for. Oh well, just my humble opinion.

-Nick

fyrefyghter10
    Firehouse.com Guest

i think that you should be able to leave only if it is a "job" and you are getting Honor Roll in school. otherwise you should have to stay in school and dont worry about what is happening on the outside of school. in my school you can leave if it is a "job" alls you have to do is show your ID and sign out then you have to go back that day and get your work that you missed.

Thread Information