Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Blue/Red Lights... Check This Out

Regardless of wiether you are pro or con POV lights, regardless of wiether you think lights should be dash, strobe, 360, whatever... You have to admit, the two words that entire your mind when you see this picture are 'HOLY "insert expletive here"

http://www.code3responder.com/reader...ails.asp?id=52

P.S. www.code3responder.com for all you blue/red light psychos.

[This message has been edited by APG1 (edited 01-22-2001).]

CAPSAR432
    Firehouse.com Guest

I want it... lol

Raptor557
    Firehouse.com Guest

OK, im going overboard but heres what i want:

2001 Ford F-350SD ext cab/shortbed/srw Deisel V8

SVP Impulse 48" (red/amber/amber/blue)
    *takedowns (that can flash like wig-wags)
    *alleys
    *amber flashers front & rear

Wig-Wags
    *Galls Multi-Pattern Flasher and Traffic Backer

Federal Signal PA200 Siren with dual 100watt speakers

BBoucheyFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

One word - OVERKILL. But tastefully done

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Makes my Dakota on the same site look like it has no lights at all. http://www.code3responder.com/reader...ails.asp?id=29

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Holy Crap. Is that a POV or a Chief's Truck?? Wow. Oh yea, someone mentioned a "Traffic Backer" before. I want to warn you of something before you or anyone else use it. I work at Whelen Engineering and we no longer use them, or endorse using them. Peopel have DIED and been INJURED because of them. Here's the problem, really only on newer cars. Most new cars, perticuarly Crown Vic's and Expedition for an example, require the driver to step on the brake before the shifter will move out of park. When the traffic backer is on, it flashes the brake lights which makes the car's computer think the brake is depressed. So, the shifter unlocks. In one case, an officer was either killed or badly injured when his K9 partner hit the shifter, moving it into drive and the cruiser ran the officer in front of the car over. The shifter unlocked because of the traffic backer. There have been other instances but I don't recall all of them. If your car doesn't require stepping on the brake, it is not a problem, but if it does, I would not recomend it.

Now, we will eitehr install strobes or seperate halogen Flashers in the light assemblies and leave the stock lights alone. Just a word of warning..

Matt

AdamHOU
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Hello.

I noticed this was a: "Fire Explorer &
    Jr. Firefighting" area, and you guys are
    talking about POV's & Lights, etc.

What is the age requirement before you
    can equip your vehicle with lights/siren,
    and respond in an emergency fashion to a
    call?

I live in TX and was wondering what I
    should expect when I join.. I'm 17.

Bigt6163
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have never seen so many people be amazed over something so small. Around where I live you see that everyday. My best friend has his 1994 Chevy S-10 decked out better than that.

FF. Matt Woodruff
    Pacific Fire Prot. Dist.
    Pacific, Missouri

titorobfiregod
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I want:
    2001 Dodge Ram Quad cab
    12-Strobe Deluxe lightbar
    Strobe dashlight
    4 strobes behind grille,2 on bumper, 2 under bumper
    head/taillight flashers
    corner strobes in headlights

that's my dream truck, complete with a cell phone, 800mhz scanner, and blue headlights. vollies in NY cant run sirens unless they are cheif/line officer 8-)

------------------
    Find 'em hot, leave 'em wet!

BayRidge60
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs down

Vollies in NY can run all that stuff...if you want a lot of tickets. Read the Vehicle & Traffic law, none of that is legal. Why do you want to look like a Xmas tree coming down the road? Motorists don't have to pull over for "courtesy" lights.

------------------
    Glenn Ralston
    Firefighter/EMT-D
    Bay Ridge Fire-Rescue
    byrdg60@netscape.net

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

you guys dont know how good you got it in california you cant have lights on any vehicle that isnt an emergancy vehicle i just wish that i could do that the best thing i can have on my car is an air horn

craiggEMT
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

omg...one word...OVERKILL!!

Stay Safe, Stay Alive!!!

Raptor557
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thx for the warning about the "traffic backer"...i drive a 94 Ford Ranger (standard) so it shouldn't be a problem, but i really dont intend to put ALL of that on my truck.

And concerning the brake thing...i thought there was a pressure switch on the brake pedal, i did not know it worked off the lights. In my opinion, this is a design flaw. Also, what about undercover patrol cars that have a "blackout box"...how do they get around the same problem?

Here is what I want on my truck:

'94 Ford Ranger

48" SVP Impulse (model# 2248)
    takedowns and alleys
    front/rear amber flashers

Wig Wags (multipattern or regular)

FedSig Signal Master

FedSig PA300 Siren w/ 100Watt Spkr.

Thats enough to lights things up...

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by AdamHOU:
    Hello.

I noticed this was a: "Fire Explorer &
    Jr. Firefighting" area, and you guys are
    talking about POV's & Lights, etc.

What is the age requirement before you
    can equip your vehicle with lights/siren,
    and respond in an emergency fashion to a
    call?

I live in TX and was wondering what I
    should expect when I join.. I'm 17.
    I live in northcarolina where FIREFIGHTERS can have flashing lights. Chiefs and Asst. Chiefs may have sirens. When you are 18and you are a member in good standing with the department you may have flashing lights...even on probation. However, since this is in the Jr. FF/explore section, i must say that i completely DISAGREE with jr. FF/Explorers having any form of an emergency light in or on their vehicle. In our department they are not considered firemen and do not participate in fire attack operations. They should not endanger the public or themselves by having these types of devices. I was a Jr. firmen myself with 2 different deapartments, one allowed us to have lights and the other didn't. So i know that when you have flashers and you are young, you want to fly down the road at top speed...now that i am older and i look back on that, i sometimes can't believe how stupid i was...so a word to all you younger guys, be careful and don't kill yourself before you actually get a chance to fight fire.

fireeater650
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have a 1997 nissan 4x4 pickup and in it i have a whelen 4 head 75 wat power pack and strobe bulbs in the corner and brake lights, i had a dash strobe too, but i traded my buddy for a dashlaser rotater, b/c in my opinion the halogen gets more attention during the day and the strobes clear the way at night. For you guys who have lights in every possible place, well i just have to say i wish i could carry your wallt around around for a few days...but anyway my system is a very efficient warning system for a volunteer, very legal, and also very low profile....and that is the way i like it.

Ladder107
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hey, great discussion on lights and I do think that it is a good one for this forum since I have many of my Explorers interested in lights anyway, so this really gets them excited. Of course you should never associate yourself as a firefighter just because you want to have a red light and make noise driving to the station. But anyway.....
    What I wanted to say was that I am glad to see that we basically all agree that Explorer/Jr.FF should not be operating in an emergency mode with their own vehicles. That is just plain dangerous...end of discussion! But it is interesting for all of us here at the forum to see just what others have or come up with on their own vehicles for lighting "needs". We have recently rebuilt our old equipment van that was handed down from our dept. to our Explorer Post. (Check out our new website list below this message for photos). Gosh, what a ball the members of the Post had in designing the lighting package! They saved and raised over $1500 for lighting alone. At our dept., that the "new" Explorer truck can run "hot" if operated by a firefighter...actually it ALWAYS has to be operated by a firefighter. Gives the Explorers a real rush to ride in the back and listen to the siren wail! (Don't worry - they are all belted in!) So quickly: they outfitted the truck with twin Federal beacons on the rear with a 46" directional arrow, alternating halogen (big) red lights all the way around the box and pair on the front bumper, and the awesome LOADED MX7000 lightbar on the front of the cab. It also has a loaded siren and real roof-mounted twin air horns! No strobes...can't see them in the daylight.
    Thanks for the discussion...I'll pass this topic on to my Post members!

- Kevin Johnson
    Firefighter/EMT
    Chilton, WI Fire Dpet.

------------------
    Check out our Exploring Post website at www.geocities.com/cfdexplorers !!!

fireb192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

2001 dodge pick-up with
    red white dual halogen lights on dash
    red/clear firebeam on dash
    hide aways front and rear
    low profile red white in the front grill
    hands free whelen siren

:

this is what i am going to get!

[This message has been edited by fireb192 (edited 03-28-2001).]

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

That Expedition was a little too over-loaded Yeah Lights are Neat but to many make you look like an absolute WHACKER --- The People who have these many lights usually have many pagers to go with 'em and have no life as well as a large amount of money to blow {Wish I had it } --- I agree with the other FIREFIGHTERS here....Lights for the Seniors and Study Guides for the Juniors...Worry about Lights Later...Although there is nothing wrong with dreaming...Thats Cool

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I have a dashlaser on my dash, and a firebeam in the back window, and my electrical system grunts when I turn it on. I wonder how the hell he lights all those up at once without the whole car melting.

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been Reading the posts on Lights on POV's and I have found it quite interesting, but be prepare to have your socks knocked off.

About two years ago I purchased a 1991 Crown Victoria, from a goverment surplus auction in oregon. It needed a little mechanical work, and some body work. Most of the the lights I have have been purchased from galls, Stiechers and some others from my buddies.

2x Whelen Dashmiser Plus 2 Split lenses-Rear Deck-Red/Clear,Red/Clear
    1x Galls Rear Halogen Hide-A-Way-Compatible with Fords
    1x Whelen Traffic Advisor w/ Two End Strobes-Red/Red
    1x Fed Sig Firebeam Combo-Behind RVM
    1x Galls Low-Profile Remote Strobes-Mount on bumper-Red/Red
    1x Whelen Strobes-Behind Grille-Red/Red
    1x Galls Wig Wag
    1x Galls Hide-A-Way-Corner Lense-Clear/Clear
    1x Galls Communication Console
    1x Galls Speaker
    1x Galls/Code 3 Slimline Siren/No pa(Old)
    1x Fed Sig 6 Func Switch Panel
    1x 20 channel Uniden Scanner
    And on the way:
    NEW! Galls EXCLUSIVE Modular Console System(D-VE135)
    1x Code 3 V-con M-3694 Siren

"If you can't **** that High, Join the Fire Department"

Thread Information