greendrum872
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post BIGGEST or BEST CALLS?

[This message has been edited by greendrum872 (edited 02-02-2001).]

BBoucheyFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Only good calls i go on are the ones where nothing is wrong when we get there.

RescueJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You said it BBouchyFD. Granted its exciting pulling up to a worker but does anyone ever consider the people who live in that house. How about how much money its going to cost them to replace the house or their valuables. Think about it next time you pull up to a job. Would u want it to be your house?

Jason Manes
    Explorer Captain
    Colonia N.J.

CCFDE-701
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I'm going to have to agree with those two ^. But i always love comming up anf a worker. I also love to cut people out.

------------------
    Exploere Lt. Krebs
    Central Campbell Fire Dist.
    Station 7
    Fighting Engine Co 701
    You Light'em We'll Fight'em

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Gotta agree with everyone else..even though its not as exciting its still someones house that is burning when you pull up on a worker..and I would never wish that on someone....But the biggest call so far that I've been on which was Exciting but wasnt good since it was my first big call was a 6 Floor Senior Citizen Building with heavy fire in an apartment on the 3rd floor.. It was very exciting do to everyone running around..since we had to evacuate the entire building...I also assisted in carrying the Severe burn victim out of the 2nd floor stairwell which was gross but hey..its part of the job....but as for the rest of the evening..I stood outside doing Rehab on Firefighters..taking BP's Giving them O2 etc...I also made it on the news several times I'll always remember this call since it was my first Structure Fire/Bad call

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

Tristin
    Firehouse.com Guest

no you guys dont know what a "worker" is you are all talking about little structure fires and little fires granted i didnt go on this call but i can tell you about it ok a "worker" is a brush fire not just any brush fire though one of those fires that you can see the yellow smoke a hundred miles away one of those fires that you cant even come near the flames without being burned we had a fire like this by where i lived it was at Vandenburg Airforce Base the call first came out at about 1300 for two brush trucks to respond to a 5 acre brush fire they did at 1430 when i heard about it it was a 500 acre fire we had a strike team and force resonce they were calling for help from everyone by 1430 the next day the fire was at 5000 acres and 800 people working it. the peat bog out there caught fire and is still burning they cant put it out now that is a real fire

------------------
    Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Department
    Explorer post 2335

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ

[This message has been edited by Engine58 (edited 01-27-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Engine58 (edited 01-28-2001).]

Justin Gershon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

What is a good call? when some one gets in a bad crash? a person is left homeless from a fire? I remeber one time I asked a firefighter from a sis FD about a fire and I also asked if it was a good one. He replied that the family just lost their father from a heart attack a few weeks ago, they had just remodeled their home and their son was just about to go to college. Now answer me was that a "good" call??

Justin
    Altamont vol FD
    Albany co NY
    "puttin the blue stuff on the red stuff"

greendrum872
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Maybe you misunderstood the meaning of "bigest or best calls". My call was BIG. "Best" calls can be when you go and save someones life. Now that is a good call.

------------------
    These are not the opinions of my department.~

AlexB892
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree with greendrum. To me a good call is when you do something that solves the problem or prevents it from getting worse. For example, when you find a patient in full arrest, shock him, and a few minutes later he's talking to you, that's a good call.

------------------
    My opinions are not necessarily those of my department. I speak only for myself.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

OK now for my BEST call..I already told my BIGGEST call, ok here it goes..it was right around christmas time we got toned out for a Unresponsive...We pull up figuring this is gonna be a code and preparing for the worst..so we walk inside...and here is a elderly lady sitting on her couch with her son and went through the basics..but she reported to be fine now and said she didnt want to go to the hospital she was laughing and joking around with us etc...she thanked us and said thanked us on our speedy response and how we were so nice to her, few days later we recieved a thank you card thanking us for helping her which made me feel real good knowing I helped someone feel better in their time of need.I've had a few "bad" calls and wonder why people even bother calling us for such stupid things..but then you get the calls like that that make totally up for it...and Thats why I'm still continuing this..I almost decided to quit until I had a few calls that made me realize your gonna get some bad calls and your gonna get some good calls...and when you get those good calls they really make up for it all... as for the other posts everyone has said...There's nothing great about someone getting in a MVA or their house burning down...being in EMS and In fire alot of us take things for granted like it would never happen to us..But let me tell ya...it could..and One day that big 2 alarmer could be your house or a loved ones house..and this time you'll be on the "victim side"

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ

greendrum872
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Yea, I wish I had the opportunity to ride the ambulance. In my department, there are only FIRE cadets so I just try to help the people who I can.

------------------
    These are not the opinions of my department.~

wlfdtr12
    Firehouse.com Guest

My best call was when I helped bring someone back to life when I took an ambulance shift with the corps I'm a member of. We got called for an ALS intercept for a stroke. I thought nothing of it. I was thinking, get to the intercept point, load the Paramedic and her equipment in the next town's rig and go back to the bay with the other EMT. Well, I thought wrong. The guy lost his pulse enroute to the intercept point and I ended up in the back doing compressions. Even more ironic, the Granby EMT was one of my EMT instructors, it was his first day working there. We did CPR for about 15 minutes, tubed the guy, pushed D50 but didn't even get to Epinephrine yet. I look down at the pulse-ox and I saw a reading of 68bpm. I didn't believe so I checked for a pulse and the guy had one. It was the best feeling in the world. A lot better than the feeling I had after the few I've lost. That's what I would call a GOOD call.

Anthony D. Ruggiero
    Explorer Captain/EMT-B
    Windsor Locks Fire Dept. Exp. Post 50
    Windsor Locks, CT

Thread Information