Thread: Mock Accidents

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Mock Accidents

Does any other post out there in Forum Land do mock accidents? I wanna know!

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Check in the U. of Extrication forum for a thread called Senior Prom. It contains info on mock accidents for a specific theme.

engine1321
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you very much. I will do that, thank you.

------------------
    Chief R.J. Stine
    XFD Explorer Post #29
    The Yellow Knights

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

When I was in junior high the local FD did a mock-earthquake with my class. You should have seen the pizza guy's face when he saw all these kids running around with latex injuries!!! Best part was that we all got 10 points extra credit for doing it.

Althea

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

At our high school,there is a mandatory assembly for the seniors the night before prom. We do a mock MVA.

wlfdtr12
    Firehouse.com Guest

The fire department runs one at the school every couple of years. We began a unique one last year that will now be done every three to four years. The kids involved all volunteered and so did their parents. One student was pulled out of their class every fifteen minutes throughout the school day. In that class, the grim reaper would come by and take them out of class while a police officer read their obituary that was written by their parents. The students would then return to class later dressed as a dead person and unable to talk for the rest of the day. Three students became MVA victims. We toned out fire, police, and EMS over the intercom system in school and all went outside for the mock crash. One kid was pronounced on scene and put into a hearse and body bag, the other extricated and transported to an actual hospital, and the drunk driver forced to do a field sobriety test. It really drilled the point home. All volunteers spent the night at the State Fire Academy in our town and had to write letters appologizing to their parents about their death and what they wished they had done differently. It was a very somber two day event.

Anthony D. Ruggiero
    Explorer Captain/EMT-B
    Windsor Locks Fire Dept. Exp. Post 50
    Windsor Locks,CT

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We do a Mock MVA every 2 yrs, we usually do one involving multiple towns also...last one we did was a group of kids decided to cut school and go drinking..then go pick up some friends when school got out..on the way down the road to school hit head on with a school bus..causing the car to hit another car severely so there was a MCI incident..also 3 out of 4 victims in the drunk car were all trauma codes..they made this into a video..it was pretty cool to watch it..looked pretty real to me in my opinion the school bus cought fire they had smoke machines etc.. and just had the Helicopters do a fly over since they were still on duty..but yea...they pronounced the 3 trauma codes and the 4th was (flown out) then the next day they had flowers etc... near each of the kids lockers, had a moment of silence..and they Video taped all of this stuff...then edited it etc..and showed the video to all the students on a big tv in the auditorium....It was pretty cool cause all the local squads got to practice with a MCI incident and got extrication practice..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    EMS Cadet in NJ
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

ffkiwi
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Unfortunitley my Brigade doesn't have to practice to often. We often do it for real.
    With Drink driving and speeding the way it is these days I think it would be good for schools to see us cut out a person from a mangled car.
    We had a MVA extraction training weekend not to long ago. We tried new methods of extraction in a series of realistic scenarios. We did these in very public spots, the look on some peoples faces showed that they were shocked by the scene.
    Maybe the safe driving message would get through if we did more of these.

Forum Member

.....Bump.....
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Talking Jake ..............you forgot here !

IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the bump..... we have our "every other year" drill coming up & needed some new ideas.
    the motto of every midnight shift dispatcher - "I'm up - You're up"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1

Thanks 201, I forgot all about that.
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Default i think..

i believe that the
    mock rescues for high school
    are excellent.

programs are great. i used to live in north carolina, and it was a small town.
    small towns = doing nothing but getting drugged up and drunk.
    they had a program called "operation prom night", and it touched alot of people. almost all of the assemblie was in tears.

Forum Member

Yeah, thats what some dept. call it around here too.

Forum Member

There should be.I've already sat my 15 y/o niece down about what her reaction should be if her dates ever take a drink of anything other that pure water,Coke or Pepsi while driving her around:get out,call home,call Grandma,Aunts,me here in Kentucky but get get out if he's drinking while driving her around.

Quote Originally Posted by firecadetak
    At our high school,there is a mandatory assembly for the seniors the night before prom. We do a mock MVA.

Forum Member

We did one last year. The kids were called out to our stadium and there was a big tarp over the field and then when everyone was ready we started. The tarp was removed to reveal a 3 car MVA. We had the dispatcher dispatch it like an actual call and the kids got to listen to the radio communications over the loud speaker. Our heavy rescue, our pumper, and an ambulance responded with lights and sirens from the parking lot of the school. We had to extricate multiple victims out of the car and had one lose their leg. We then called for Eagle 1 (the helicopter) and they landed in the middle of the stadium where they were going to load a vic when he died. Then when we were finished we had the people playing the patients get up and talk to the kids about what it was like to be in that sort of situation and stuff.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our dept does it once a year for the Juniors and Seniors right befor prom if weather is permitting . I watched then Junior and Senior year in school and now I get to help show the other students why you don't drink and drive .

Forum Member

Every May (usually 3rd Sat) my Post reserves our County Fair Grounds and holds a Mock Disaster Event. We invited 4-5 local Fire Explorer posts and 1 Police Explorer post. It's and all day event. We run most of the day as if you were at a normal station, you get a call, and ride in the rig out to the scene. We have scenes ranging from a car fire, to reports of smoke from a building, or a patient with chest pain. In the mid-afternoon, we have the Disaster which involves everyone there. Last year, we had a bomb explosion at the stadium there. In previous years, we've done multiple vehical accidents and other random Disasters. Through out the day, we usually have Life-Flight land and the crew will give a demonstartion.

Forum Member

Default Pardon Me Sir............

Quote Originally Posted by KTorak
    Every May (usually 3rd Sat) my Post reserves our County Fair Grounds and holds a Mock Disaster Event. We invited 4-5 local Fire Explorer posts and 1 Police Explorer post. It's and all day event. We run most of the day as if you were at a normal station, you get a call, and ride in the rig out to the scene. We have scenes ranging from a car fire, to reports of smoke from a building, or a patient with chest pain. In the mid-afternoon, we have the Disaster which involves everyone there. Last year, we had a bomb explosion at the stadium there. In previous years, we've done multiple vehical accidents and other random Disasters. Through out the day, we usually have Life-Flight land and the crew will give a demonstartion.
    Pardon me sir, but I believe we are all over here
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=69367

***PICS FROM THIS YEAR INCLUDED***

Forum Member

hahahah, the "suicide bomber" is one of our advisors, lol. I'm on the planning committee this year for the 2006 event. It should be pretty interesting. RJ has pretty much left the post for an undertermined amount of time. All the guys who were at the Rossford Muster in July 2005 are on the committee.

*sorry for getting a bit off topic*

Forum Member

Woah, nice bump. Way to bring this one back from the dead.

Forum Member

Ktorak,

Sounds good, I'm already counting the down the days until next years event.

Check Your Pm's, I've got a question.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ffexpCP
    Woah, nice bump. Way to bring this one back from the dead.

Nothing a defib. of 400 watt-seconds and some Ringers Lactate or D5W can't take care of.

Wow, after watching 6 episodes of Emergency! in 1 day, I couldn't resist.

How about Dr. DeSoto's magical elixir for restoration and reparation?!?!
    Last edited by backsteprescue; 04-26-2006 at 04:50 PM.

Forum Member

Hey RFRDxplorer: It's not showing any new PMs in my inbox...odd. You can hit me up on my email though: KTorak@gmail.com - as well as anyone else who tried to PM me.

Thread Information