Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WHY?

JE75at48
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb WHY?

Why did you become a Junior? What was the drive behind it? I joined because I had nothing better to do, and I love it now. I never thought of the Fire Service. Now I have trouble of thinking of anything else. I love it, because it's fun. I'm learning, and I'm a part of something that has the goal of life preservation. Why did you guys join?

------------------
    Torched@newjersey.com

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

I got a family history to keep up. My grandpa is retired as fire chief and my dad is currently a career lieutenant with 21+ years under his belt.

When I was younger, I used to spend the night at the station when my dad was on shift. Now I can do it at the station I am assigned to.

Something I have always wanted to do

afd80
    Firehouse.com Guest

I joined the Juniors at Ardsley FD when I was 14. I am now 23, have 5 years as a 'regular', a BS in Fire Science, work ina Fire Protection Engineering office, and just got hired as a Career FF/EMT with Stamford(CT) Fire Rescue. I also am currently the Head Advisor for our Junior Crew. The Junior Program DEFINITELY changed my life for the better.

Benz543
    Firehouse.com Guest

I want a career in the medical field and this looked like a good way to gain some valuable hands on experience as most calls are medical. No one in my family is in the fire service. My dad is a doc however. Being a explorer as helped me be more mature, taught me many valuable idioms for life, and introduced me to some great people.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

I got into the Post because I was looking into the Fire Service. I was not sure if that was what I wanted to do at the time, but now I am certain. The brotherhood and comradery, as well as the tradition and self gratification are addictive. It is one of the best experiences of my life, one I would not trade in for anything.

------------------
    Nick Funk "Bubba"
    Explorer Captain
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

resQ760
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

My father and brother and other members of the family have been involved with Fire/EMS for the past 22-25 years, so I decided to keep it going and have been into it for three years now.

18-10Robert
    Firehouse.com Guest

In all honesty, I joined to get girls. When I joined 2 years ago I was the biggest loser and thought that standing in front of a gleaming red engine in a blue uniform with a badge would boost my social status. This lasted for maybe a week. Then I saw what being a firefighter was really about: saving life and property. I saw the brotherhood and comradery around my station and its something I wanted to be a part of, I wanted to feel useful. I busted my hump and did exactly as I was told and kept my ears open. I learned from the other guys in the department and put what I learned to use at drills. Now, I'm on a par with some of the regular firefighters and am respected by a majority of the company and its an amazing feeling to be part of this. I wouldn't trade the experiances that I've had for anything in the world.

Bridgeport VFD- Baddest station in the Nation! Fightin' 18-1 all the way

Rob Taylor
    Chief "go-fer"/Command lacky

Thread Information