Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Jay19fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Can you ride the trucks as a junior?

In my town we can respond to calls in the truck and we can be on the fireground. What about every1 else?

------------------
    -JaY-

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept we can ride the apparatus if your in the firehouse at time of call.

Jeremy.
    Truxton Vol. Fire Dept

pfr172
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

We can ride any apparatus toned out at our station that we are assigned to.

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

We can jump on the rigs if we are at the hall before they are gone, otherwise, we go directly to the scene.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

Explorers in my Dept. are required to finish a 6 month probationary period before they are issued a pager and allowed to respond to calls. Once their probation is finished, they may respond to any type of call except HazMat and Mutual-Aid to another municipality.

------------------
    Nick Funk "Bubba"
    Explorer Captain
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"FireFighters Walk Where The Devil Dances."

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

In my department juniors are allowed to ride first out if there is enough room on the truck, or if ur on it and another regular guy shows up. Unless your stuck on radio duty, our juniors can make 2nd truck out of our main firehouse usually always. And since that actually is 3rd truck out, usually its just engineer and juniors, so a few times I'm actually officer on the third out, its rare, but a lot of fun getting to work the siren and horn

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Unhappy

Opposite to all your responses so far, the explorers in my dept are not allowed to calls, unless they ride in the chiefs car, or a structure fire, and in that case, private vehicle only and NO lights/sirens. We are currently looking into some sort of observation program, where we can ride along, etc.

NSFDJR

Hoppy851
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department they allow us to roll and respond with them the only thing we really can't do is interior stuff

"Loyality above all else, Except honor."

ENGINE 52
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

In my dept. jr. members can ride the trucks. They must complete Firefighter I for Jrs..
    They must attend company training and learn every thing on the trucks. There duties are dropping supply lines changing air bottles and assist the driver/pump operator on the fire grounds.

longboardabi
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

in my department your allowed to ride out to any call after learning the inventory of the hole station and a couple of test's because we get to get hand on training in the actual emergency.

Abisai Garcia "OBI"
    Los Angeles Fire Department
    Post#38

fireb192
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

We can ride the truck if there is a empty seat

[This message has been edited by fireb192 (edited 03-22-2001).]

cfr3504
    Firehouse.com Guest

Juniors in our department can ride the ambulance, but not the fire trucks. Our fire trucks are all 2 man commercial chassis, so we need need to have firefighters riding them. Our juniors also are not allowed to go on EMS calls involving violence, or OB/GYN calls, except female juniors that are EMT certified. But our juniors are encouraged to attend all other calls, and trainings.

NJOUTLAW6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes we can ride the engine as well as be on the fire ground.. We change bottles and help others with anything they need.

------------------
    Thomas
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6http://explorer506.boltpages.com/tomswebsite506/id2.html

Co11FireChic
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

NJOUTLAW6,
    I believe you are in my Bolt Club, "Future Firefighters." It must be a small world. Wow. Also to Jay19Fire, sorry about my off topic post.
    ~Courtney
    A.K.A. Karategirlkyu2b@bolt

[This message has been edited by Co11FireChic (edited 04-16-2001).]

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

As NJOUTLAW said (I'm on the same post) we are allowed to respond to the scene & also to the firehouse if we dont make the truck...we go to the scene if its anything worth traveling for...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplor erpost6/

NFD270
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my department, We are on the truck about 90% of the time.... This is due to the fact that we have two full-time duty crews per shift and they roll first truck... So most usually myself or another cadet is third or fourth man depending on how many people are at the house when the call tones out...I'm also THE senior cadet because I've been there longer than anyone else.... So on calls like structure fires, or MVA's, I am usually temp. captain on the 2nd or 3rd out truck....That all really depends on whose driving, but most usually I'm up there..... YOU CANNOT DISS RIDING OFFICER!!!! PLAYING WITH THE Q2 and HORNS AS YOU GO SCREAMING DOWN THE STREET IS KICK ***!!! I also operate the radio so that the driver can concentrate on getting us there as quickly and as safely as possible so its a lot of responsibility..... I am trusted by most though because they know, while I still may be a 16 year old and one who loves to goof off, when the tones go off....ALL THAT CRAP STOPS AND ITS NOTHING BUT PURE SERIOUSNESS.....THATS BECAUSE I KNOW IM NOT JUST LOOKING OUT FOR MYSELF, BUT EVERYONE ELSE ON THAT TRUCK TOO.... STAY SAFE AND HAVE FUN!!!! AND DO THE JOB YOU LOVE THE WAY YOU LOVE TO DO IT......
    http://www.nixa.com/nixafire

------------------
    Cadet Adam Spencer
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa, MO 65714

SFDPOST588
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

i am from a recently formed post on long island.. and the current policy is that we are only allowed too ride the rigs for drills and other non-alarm related activity. pagers were recently handed out which now gives us the ability too respond too ALL alarms. only catch is members under the age of 15 are not allowed out on runs past 12am.

Thread Information