Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    LT_44-1'sSon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Some questions for Junior Fireman

Hey! I'm new to this board, but I've been reading firehouse since I was 4(looking at pictures mainly lol!)

My father is 43, and he's a lt at a volunteer firedepartment(South Strabane Station 1).
    He's been a fireman for around 23 years.

Anyway, to the point! I wanta be a fireman, but I gotta wait 3 more years till I'm 16(Which is our minimum age for a junior fireman). Recently, we've had an increase in the number of deaths in our area(around 23 in January!) seeing this number is on the rise, I wanted to ask all you junior fireman out there how you handle death, especially "messy" ones. My main fear is I'll break down and won't be of any help on the scene in front of the men I've considered friends for nearly 7 years now. So do any of you have any advice on how I should handle death on the fire scene? Anything u can give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Ive been doing this Fire dept thing for 4 years now. Between being an explorer, junior and now a regular member, plus also being an EMT, ive come across a few situations. Ive been on 10 CPR calls, 1 being a save. Ive had one major mva in january that was messy. myself and another ff/emt were the first EMTs there with the FD. The Ambulance was there a little later. This might sound inhumane, but you have to take it as a part of life. Your going to die sometime, you were there to help the person. You didnt get them in that situation, your trying to mitigate the situation. If something happens, talk to people who will understand, friends, family, others on the FD. Everyone is different. you just have to see what happens, you cant tell how your going to react.

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    Fire Fighter/EMT-D
    HazMat Medical Officer
    New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

Don't Play With Fire, Play with me..

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well..all I gotta say is I know what you mean...lol Luckily As soon as I turned 16 We got our explorer program so I lucked out and got to join right away..but As of March 25, I've been an explorer and as of December 6th I've been a Cadet on the first aid squad since then and I've ran into a few bad calls and I dreaded going on those calls...but when the time came..sure I was shocked at first on how FAKE TV makes injuries look..and how pictures cant prepare you for hte real thing....especially on Burn victims which is what I encountered...They were the hardest ones to handle...but the gorey ones didnt really bother me..But I talked it out with a few older members and they helped me through it...And if it really bothers you they have counselors etc...to talk to you...but if it bothers you...Ask to be excused and go sit in the truck and tell them why...I myself wouldnt have a problem if I was an officer on ur engine...cause We are young yet.and alot of stuff we see out there is hard but hey..like mentioned before..its a part of life..All you gotta do is accept it..and get right back out there ....Chances are they were as good as dead anyway and theres nothing you could of done...but anyways..good luck...I hope I have helped some...

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"

NFD270
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dealing with death is a hard thing..... you feel like you could have just done more... but you have to realize that you did all you could... Yes, dying is a part of life, but it can be very stressful on firefighters... You also have to know that there is not a thing wrong with breaking down... I've done it before, it can happen to anyone of us and happens to most of us atleast once or twice in our careers..... Its just something you have to deal with... It's okay to cry, you will see a lot of firefighters cry when something goes bad...especially if it involves someone they know, another firefighter, or children... But like people say... Were firefighters, were a family, we stick up and support eachother through the thick of it when one of us needs help..... You shouldn't have to fear breaking down, because the other firefighters will see nothing wrong with it.... If they do, then there is something wrong with them... Usually you will sit down and talk to other firefighters and people who will listen to you and try and help you through it.... These are usually called CISD's or Critical Incident Stress Debriefings if I'm not mistaken..... you just wait and you'll see... And if your really into being a firefighter, you'll love every minute of the job..... Trust me..... I do... Stay safe and don't give up on your dreams.....

------------------
    Cadet Adam Spencer
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa, MO 65714

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

First; test yourself. Find one of those instructional booklets with gorey pictures of injuries.If you wake up on the floor I reccomend a different profession.
    Second;realize that death is nothing to fear and that we all die some day. Don't be afraid.
    Third;if you get a DOA or another death, do a CISD (Critical Incident Stress Debreifing) even if you feel fine. This is VERY important.
    Fourth; be prepared emotionaly for what you might encounter.

Althea

Resc1AFD38
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I agree .. facing the death of someone is difficult at first .. But unless it's someone within or around your company .. It's not going to feel quite the same.
    I started my Exploring at the age of 16 (I'm 19 now).. Unfortunately there wasn't much for me to do back then until I was able to start the third rider program on the ambulance's that serviced our town .. Then I saw and did much more than I thought .. So there I was a Explorer FF/EMT and I saw and did a lot and you saw some people live and you saw some people die .. but it will never be as much as the night I lost 6 of my brother's who I personally knew. That was perhaps the worst nigt of my life knowing that in that Warehouse building there lied 6 of my brothers and nothing at all that I nor anyone else could do for them. This was perhap's my biggest situation that now helps me deal with the emotional pain of losing the one's around you .. YES it HURTS and YES you will CRY and YES you'll never forget the horrific scene in which it happened .. And if your like me and hear the last screaming cries out for help off the radio's .. Those few last words will always play back in your mind .. but it's all a part of it .. And it's only going to make you stronger in the end.
    Take Care & Stay Safe

------------------
    Cruisa ..
    "You never know until the fire stare's you down whether you gonna do this job, or do it well" "You Go, We go" God Bless my 6 Worcester Brother's

[This message has been edited by Resc1AFD38 (edited 04-04-2001).]

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have this policy, if they complain about not being able to do something we give them something to do. Walk to the door, open it, walk out, and don't let it hit you on the A**, on your way out. We had two junior members goofing around on the fire ground, so we booted them ut until they are 18... I don't like to do it, but they were always complaining about not doing anything. They had a bad attitude, and acted like a bunch of jacka**'s when we had community events. Not all juniors are bad, we let a few stay. But, if you want to be a juniro, follow the station rules, and the law, and act responsible.

Richie#18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

hey man dont worry if you are at the wrong place at the time just remember that you can always sit down and take a break and if you feel uncontable you can ask your fire cheif if you can leave the secne because you feel not right

ok anyone if i said something wrong please tell me some i no because i only been a jr.firefighter for 1year..

------------------
    Richie Sobilo

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Actually, I'd like to kind to disupute Althea comment about testing yerself.

Looking at pictures and being there are two completely different things.

Trust me.

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah, but if you can't stand the sight of a minor injury in the book, you'll know you can't handle a second degree burn over 80% of the body in real life.

Althea

Thread Information