Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Responding to calls without blue lights

I was just wondering if when your responding to a call in your car, and you don't have a light bar or whatever, do you use the car's hazards lights? I've seen some other people doing it, probably will myself, just wondering if anyone else does. Thanks.

------------------
    Andrew "Bushman" Landstrom
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have been a Firefighter for 10 Years Now and have responded in my car both with and with out a Blue-Light....Yes I do use the Hazzards but keep in mind they probably won't help Pretty Much the Same as A Blue-Light. Now as a Junior Firefighter I recommend you don't bother with a light right now or hazzards or anything like that. Your response to the incident although Important is Not that Crucial. Get there when you get there.

Stay Safe

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

At least with a blue light someone will realize your a emergency responder. someone pulls up behind you, flashing their high beams and flashing the 4 ways. do you know what the hell they want? no, its going to cause an accident. its happened with a car i was a passenger in, people have a hard enough time pulling over for blue lights, dont bother, cause yourll be that next extrication.

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    Fire Fighter/EMT-D
    HazMat Medical Officer
    New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

As cadets, we are prohibited from responding with any type of light, hazards, horn honking, etc.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

I have seen firefighters use their hazards when responding, and I personally think that it is a waste. Just like stated earlier, nobody really knows what you are doing when you are driving crazy with your hazards on. And explorers shouldn't be using any lights and/or sirens anyway.

------------------
    Nick Funk "Bubba"
    Explorer Captain
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"You go, We go."

nomad1085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just using yu hazzards probably won't get people to pull over for you. I sure wouldn't if someone came up behind me like that. Hazzards are for when you are "disabled" or something along those lines, not asking for the right of way. It would probably just confuse people, or make them think you are dumb and forgot your hazzards were on. Kind of like driving down the interstate with your right signal on for 10 miles.

Matt

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah I didn't think of that. Don't want anything to parallel me to Oldmanitus with the directional on the highway. Thanks for your input guys.

------------------
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood, New Jersey

FIRE349
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE AREN'T ALLOWED TO RUN HAZARDS BUT WE CAN RUN RED AND CLEAR LIGHTS ON POV'S AS LONG AS YOU HAVE A SIREN TO GO WITH THE LIGHTS.

------------------
    NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

umm...WHAT?! You can run red/clear lights WITH a siren but your not allowed to use your Hazzards!? I think the Anti-Blue light guys are gunna have a good time with this one.

------------------
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood, New Jersey

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

~

[This message has been edited by Fireguy57 (edited 05-05-2001).]

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

If you live in Pennsylvania, you better get that light off the dash or the roof!
    YOU MIGHT LOOSE YOUR LICENCE!

***STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA CHILD LABOR DEPARTMENT AND DEPARTMENT OF
    TRANSPORTATION PROVIDES THAT NO EMERGENCY SERVICES MEMBER UNDER THE AGE OF 18 MAY OPERATE A BLUE OR RED LIGHT ON THEIR PERSONAL
    VEHICLE WHILE ENROUTE TO A CALL. THEY MAY NOT USE THEIR 4-WAY HAZARD LIGHTS EITHER. NOR MAY THEY EXCEED THE SPEED LIMIT OR PASS OTHER VEHICLES-YOU MAY LOOSE YOUR LICENCE***

---------------------------------------------
    IT'S NOT WORTH IT!

-Fireguy57
    Child Labor Law Advisor
    Cadet Program Advisor

Phen440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

any explorers in nj allowed to use blue lights

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

I highly doubt that Explorers would Phen. A slight possibility that Juniors might, but not explorers, but I basically just gave up and started counting down until I turn 18 and get one as a reg member. Though for now, luckily I've been able to get behind another guy with a blue light and drive close (enough distance of course) to him and follow him to the barn.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Station 71
    Spotswood, New Jersey

M G
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yeah right!! I canít begin to tell you how many ďemergency callsĒ I respond to the firehouse or squad WITHOUT using my emergency lights. I learned a long time ago that you could get there just as fast without them as you can with them. Itís such a novelty for some of you it makes me chuckle, but I was there once. I just outgrew it. They are a tool for your toolbox. Using your hazard lights isnít only illegal in some states, its downright silly. How do people know which way you are going to turn? Whatís your rush anyway? Get there safe and donít get caught up in the moment. I use my emergency lights (blue) with consideration to the call type, traffic and my location. Maybe some of you could help avoid the bad public image you give your companies by using the same discretion.

------------------
    The information presented herein is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by SFDAJL:
    I was just wondering if when your responding to a call in your car, and you don't have a light bar or whatever, do you use the car's hazards lights? I've seen some other people doing it, probably will myself, just wondering if anyone else does. Thanks.

Actually out here that's Illegal to use your hazards, Hazards are strictly to be used if your vehicle has broken down, I saw someone crusing around with there hazrads and he got pulled over

What's all this light stuff? I never have and never WILL use a blue light in my car.
    It's a waste of money in my oppinion..plus I already have one LOL

Another thing, I live accross the street from the station. So whenever my beeper goes off(Or if I'm outside cuttin grass or somethin and I hear the siren) I just jog accross the road, down the parking lot, and into the station.
    "Wait for me next time, then we'll burn it down"

"When those drums of chemicals explode we'll see who the REAL men are"

Thread Information