Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

FFBill,
    You have hit the nail on the head. But see there is no difference between us and the seiors, were all on the same boat, just different sides of the boat.

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

FFBill,
    You have hit the nail on the head. But see there is no difference between us and the seiors, were all on the same boat, just different sides of the boat.

8thDistrictKid
    Firehouse.com Guest

Why does it matter what a "real" or "fake" firefighter? I'm not sure what the purpose of trying to find a definition. All the power in the world to us FF's (i guess i'm a real one of i'm FF1 and 18), to the explorers, to the womens auxillary, to everyone. Go make whatever differance you can.

------------------
    "You go..... we go"
    Shawn
    8th Utilities District
    Manchester CT

FF_r11
    Firehouse.com Guest

You said that to be a real FF that you had to be cert. through the state and attend the state academy.... What about the small depts. with yearly budgets of $20,000/yr that can not afford to send any of their FIRE FIGHTERS to the academy of FF-1 classes. Are the SEINORS on that dept. "real" fire fighter.

FF_r11
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I first joined my Dept. in Jan of 1998, I heard the same rules... No going into the buildings, no driving the appratus. I was however allowed to respond with lights to the station, and then on the trucks to the scene (regardless of the nature of the call). Out of the 327 calls we ran in 1998, I was on a truck for 302 of them. 2 of them were working fires where I actually entered the building because of lack of "real" fire fighters. And let me tell you..... we did not loose ONE house that year. Out of 14 structures. NO lost houses!! I was an intraciate part of all 14 AS A JR.

FF 13 50
    Firehouse.com Guest

I wake up at the calls at 6 in the morning. I worked 24 hours straight for the fire department pumping basements in the summer when my county was in a state of emergency. I've worked codes, seen dead children, held c spine on the big wreck, set up the hurst tools, tied the knots to hoist the tools, set up the ladder for the rescue we had for an eldery women on the second floor, I've put in my time at the fire department functions. I'm a certified EMT. My fellow firemen depend on me as much as i do them. I risk my life just by getting on the truck just as much as everyone else. If that doesn't make me a fireman then i don't know what will. If you consider going in the house part of being a real fireman then i guess the driver isnt a real fireman then? Say what you will but i've put in my time and my fellow fireman treat me as an equal in regards of respect. thanks. have a nice day.

[This message has been edited by FF 13 50 (edited 05-13-2001).]

NKF
    Firehouse.com Guest

I must say that I am truly appaled by some of the comments that I have read which forced me to reply. I saw in a post that someone said that you should not have any limitations to be a "real firefighter" This comment obviously comes from someone without any experience or common sense. EVERYONE has some sort of limitation. Size, strength, knowledge, age. No one is perfect. Your comment was truly ignorant.

Someone who is not an interior fire fighter can be the hydrant man. Does fire go out without water, well yes eventually it will burn itself out but to me that is one of the most important jobs. The Driver of a piece of apparatus does not enter the building but he gets everyone there safely and operates the pump. Is that detrimental to the operation? Absolutly.

Everyone on a scene is important. Everyone who gives time and energy for the same cause is needed. Teamwork is needed.

Please remember that your department is only as good as your partner standing beside you.

My description of a real firefighter does not exist. A good fire fighter is someone who contributes to their community to the best of their abilities, who would do their best, who continues to improve themselves for the team and not just for their own glory, who gives all that they can, paid or not.

Someone who is not a good fire fighter in my opinion is someone who brings down the morale of the department, who is not striving for progression, who says they are not afraid of fire, who says that they can do it all and that "they themselves" put the fire out.

Without junior firefighters, without ladies auxilliaries, without dispatchers, with out good leaders, without community support their would not be anyone who you could call a fire fighter.

Retired fire fighters teach you so you can be the best you strive to be. Some don't run into buildings any more but you the "real firefighter" need them to survive.

Next time some of you say who is and who is not a good fire fighter or a real firefighter please PLEASE turn around and point the finger at yourself! DO YOU HAVE ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT. NO ONE is perfect or is a "real firefighter"

Sorry this is harsh but I just am very disturbed by comments made by some of my fellow fire fighters.

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

NKF<
    Just the answer everyone shold have and should have replied. NKF and the others that have replied the same may not be YOUR definnition but they are the Correct Definition

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

NKF<
    Just the answer everyone shold have and should have replied. NKF and the others that have replied the same may not be YOUR definnition but they are the Correct Definition

FF 13 50
    Firehouse.com Guest

NFK, good post. thats abotu ill i have to say

holton_explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

What is a real fire fighter? My reply is simple, a real fighter may have no tranning, may have no experiance, a real fire fighter is a person who is willing to run inside a dragon's breath to rescue a vitium from a firey fate.

------------------
    Adam
    Holton Fire Department

Thread Information