AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post What is a "REAL" firefighter

I have been reading these posts about "Leaving school" and the famous "Blue light" posts. And I am stumped on these, because you guys say "Leave it up to the real firefigters". But what is the defintion of a real firefighter. Leave your thoughts on this here.

Turk II
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Very simple... a "real firefighter" is an active member (volunteer or career) of a fire department that has received the necessary and proper training.

In most states - the necessary and proper training is NO LESS than certification to the Fire Fighter I level.

- Turk
    - Fire Service Instructor

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

So us as being the Juinors/Explorers/Cadets and Auxiallry Firefighters fit into that catagorey of "REAL FireFighters", because we are volunteer and some are firefighter 1 certified. I was just asking because alot of people are saying that we should LEAVE IT TO THE REAL FIREFIGHTERS but we are REAL firefighters but only Juinors/Explorers/Cadets and Auxialary Firefighters. Right.. Keep the posts Coming

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Some Juniors/Explorers can take FF 1? I find that odd, what states allow that, I know NJ surely doesn't

------------------
    Andrew "Bushman" Landstrom
    Cadet
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I should have specified. I am an Auxilary Firefighter in Mattapoisett, Mass. And I attend FF1 Along with the other Full Time Firefighters and Volunters. I am not sure weather Jrs/Explorers or Cadets can/allowed attend.

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Yea...I was wondering how is that possible also...cause in NJ all we can do is learn from the FF 1 books and its up to the firefighters or advisors to teach us what is in the books which is what we are doing now. .But My definition of REAL Firefighter is someone who is Over the age of 18 and is LEGALLY able to do everything....and has all the qualified training to do so...I know we are partially real firefighters but we arent either because we cant run lines into houses at least the last I heard we cant...thats just my $0.02

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplorerpost6/

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

I should have specified. I am an Auxilary Firefighter in Mattapoisett, Mass. And I attend FF1 Along with the other Full Time Firefighters and Volunters. I am not sure weather Jrs/Explorers or Cadets can/allowed attend.

Exp.chief51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here in MI, Explorers can take FF1, FF2, etc., and receive credit hours. Although you have to be 18 to be officially hired on a department, it is nice to have it out of the way early.

NMFD33
    Firehouse.com Guest

regardless of your states regulations on taking Fire-1 if your under 18. Does that state allow you to enter a building if your under 18? your not a "real firefighter" if all your allowed to do is hit the hydrant and fetch tools (i was a junior once also). as a junior i was able to take the 1st half of FF-1, which was only classroom whatnot. the 2nd half was hands on and you had to be 18 for labor law reasons.

------------------
    Chris Kerrigan
    ILiveInACage@aol.com
    Fire Fighter/EMT-D
    HazMat Medical Officer
    New Milford Vol. Fire Dept Company #2
    New Milford,NJ

JuniorFireFight1
    Firehouse.com Guest

To me a real firefighter is a firefighter that works full time, that means they are working while the juniors stay in school. I also think that volunteers are real firefighters because they can help save lives. But as juniors we cannot go into the building we are just there to help with the tools, etc. But to be a real firefighter you have to be full time, or a volunteer not a junior. All though juniors can be in the category too, but not in this case.

------------------
    Adam K.
    Junior Firefighter
    "Put the wet stuff on the red stuff."

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by AFF_Rescue4:
    I have been reading these posts about "Leaving school" and the famous "Blue light" posts. And I am stumped on these, because you guys say "Leave it up to the real firefigters". But what is the defintion of a real firefighter. Leave your thoughts on this here.

The can Somebody tel me what a FAKE firefighter would be.

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

Alaska State allows persons under 18 to take FF I and EMT I(Basic), but you will not recieve your cerificate until you turn eighteen.

I consider myself more active and dedicated to the fire department than most of the senior members. I take as much training as I am allowed by the department and state.

[This message has been edited by firecadetak (edited 05-02-2001).]

AmboJockey
    Firehouse.com Guest

The older members of departments that are referring to themselves as "REAL" firefighters and us as "Just explorers", had better get used to our faces, because the only places we are going are up the chain of command. Honestly, who do you think the future officers will be? The guys who join up with no knowledge of the fire service whatsoever when they are about 25? Or the explorers who have been on the department and woking hard since they were 16? It takes dedication and a love for the job and action to be a volunteer firefighter. It takes even more dedication and honor to be at the bottom of the chain as an explorer, and stick with the program even though you are shunned upon and not respected. So in the coming years, I hope the older members remember that they may very well go down in a fire someday, and who will be pulling you out? "Just the Explorers"

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Folks -- a subject similar to this came up a while back and below is what I responded with at that time. My opinion has not changed!!
    ---------------------
    First things first, don't EVER sell yourself short. If you do it to yourself, anyone will feel free to do it to you as well. The simple fact that you are a junior or and explorer, doesn't mean you are not a 'real' ff, it simply means you are a JUNIOR, a CADET, an EXPLORER or whatever your area of the world calls it.

One thing you need to learn, and it applies to this subject very well, is that we all have our roles on a fireground. There are guys that come through my academy classes that are seriously overweight and blow through cylinders in 5 minutes. Therefore they are not too suited for Interior ops, however, you put them in the drivers seat or at the pump panel and they are some of the best out there. Does the fact that they are not cut out to be interior guys mean they are not 'real' firefighters? HELL NO! It means that interior ops. is not their role on the fireground but instead their role is to get you there and to get you water - both VERY important in the scheme of things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is give yourselves some credit here. Just because you are under 18 or whatever your definition is of a junior, as long you know and play your role and do the jobs you are asked to do, you will always be 'real' in my eyes and that is more than I can say for some of the 'senior' guys I have seen.

Stay safe!

AmboJockey
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sir, I am sorry but I have just finished responding to a post of yours a few minutes ago. In that post you remarked "you are non-essential since you cannot fight fire". Well sir it seems to me you have had a sudden change of attitude towards juniors. Believe me sir, I am and I am vry sure that every other cadet is very proud to be part of thier department. I honestly think we have more pride than the voted on members. Your concern with us selling ourselves short is ridiculous. There is not an explorer that I have ever met who put himself/herself down for bieng an explorer. The whole idea of "cadets feeling inferior" is part of the whole problem. You look down on us so therefore we automatically feel inferior? That is not even remotley true. I feel in no way inferior for being a cadet. I do feel however, that we are not treated fairly and with the respect we deserve. Well sir in my own personal experiences, the more I am looked down upon, the stronger I become.

FFTrainer
    Firehouse.com Guest

ambo --

Take a look back at the other post you are referring to. I replied with a little clarification. I realized in reading my initial reply that it may not have been exactly clear if you read it quickly. What I was getting at there and what I am getting at in the above post here is that we each have our roles on the fireground. Let's stick to them and we can all safely return home from every run.

By the way, I will 100% agree with you that SOME of you have more pride than SOME of the voted on(I assume you mean any non-junior) members. If you haven't already learned this, you will learn that in every organization there are members out there to ride the 'coat tails' of the hard workers. They are generally the same people who sit in the back of monthly business meetings and do nothing by cry and complain. Unfortunately this is the case with every group and we have some juniors who behave in a similar manner - in their case I give them the benefit that they are 16 vs. the 45 year old whiner in the back row.

Stay safe and I hope the tones go for you in a month so you can get an official run on your 18th birthday!

Engine 101
    Firehouse.com Guest

The definition of a real firefighter is someone who has no restrictions to what they can and can't do, Are allowed to go inside asnd preform interior attacks, Are State Certified Firefighters who have gone through a State Recknozied Fire Academy and no Explorer academy's do NOT count

SFDE12
    Firehouse.com Guest

I think Engine 101 summed it up the best!
    There should be no job on the standard fireground that these members are not capable of preforming legally (i.e. FFI, over 18 ect).

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Than what is a FAKE firefighter

FFBill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The definition of a "Real Firefighter"... anyone who puts their heart and soul into the protection of life, property and the environment. If you are willing to devote your time and energies to stand with your brothers and sisters, then you're a "Real Firefighter" in my book. Paid or Volunteer ... Regular or Cadet ... these are only titles that divide us ...

------------------
    Fight Fire Agressivly but Provide for Safety First!

Be Safe!

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

FFBill,
    You have hit the nail on the head. But see there is no difference between us and the seiors, were all on the same boat, just different sides of the boat.

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

FFBill,
    You have hit the nail on the head. But see there is no difference between us and the seiors, were all on the same boat, just different sides of the boat.

8thDistrictKid
    Firehouse.com Guest

Why does it matter what a "real" or "fake" firefighter? I'm not sure what the purpose of trying to find a definition. All the power in the world to us FF's (i guess i'm a real one of i'm FF1 and 18), to the explorers, to the womens auxillary, to everyone. Go make whatever differance you can.

------------------
    "You go..... we go"
    Shawn
    8th Utilities District
    Manchester CT

FF_r11
    Firehouse.com Guest

You said that to be a real FF that you had to be cert. through the state and attend the state academy.... What about the small depts. with yearly budgets of $20,000/yr that can not afford to send any of their FIRE FIGHTERS to the academy of FF-1 classes. Are the SEINORS on that dept. "real" fire fighter.

FF_r11
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I first joined my Dept. in Jan of 1998, I heard the same rules... No going into the buildings, no driving the appratus. I was however allowed to respond with lights to the station, and then on the trucks to the scene (regardless of the nature of the call). Out of the 327 calls we ran in 1998, I was on a truck for 302 of them. 2 of them were working fires where I actually entered the building because of lack of "real" fire fighters. And let me tell you..... we did not loose ONE house that year. Out of 14 structures. NO lost houses!! I was an intraciate part of all 14 AS A JR.

Thread Information