Thread: PPE AT MVA'S

FIRE349
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question PPE AT MVA'S

DOES YOU DEPT REQUIRE FULL BUNKER GEAR AT ALL MVA'S, OR ARE JUMP SIUTS ALLOWED AT MINOR MVA'S? IF SO IS THE POLICY ENFORCED?

------------------
    NEVER KNOCK ON DEATH'S DOOR...RING THE BELL AND RUN LIKE HELL...HE HATES THAT!!!

Turk II
    Firehouse.com Guest

Until you are on scene and you officer has sized up the incident there really isn't such a thing as a "minor MVA." When the first tones go out there is no way to tell what you are going to run into. Even if the "officer on scene reports only minor injuries" that officer on scene might be neglecting to tell you that this is also a rollover.

Wear your full gear - for your own protection.

Or how about this - when you're hit by a driver who can't see you because you're not wearing your full gear with reflective striping, try explaining to your friends and family why it's just so much easier to just wear a vest or a jumpsuit.

- Turk

[This message has been edited by Turk II (edited 05-02-2001).]

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my dept, everyone (including the regular ff's) are only issued turnout gear, we dont have jumpsuits, or even brush gear for brush fires, no matter what kind of call it is, everyone goes in with full bunker gear. It is a good safety idea to me, though it gets annoying and hot in summer or days like today where it was in the mid-90s in Mid-NJ and we had 4 calls (1 MVA, 1 BS "structure" and 2 Brush) Yeah it was hot as hell and my helmet started melting to my head (metaphorically) but I was glad that i had my turnout gear on just incase something happened

AFF_Rescue4
    Firehouse.com Guest

At any scene we are at we are reqiured to wear full bunker gear. They make one exeption to this, its when we are directing traffic due to an officer not available to lend a hand. In this case we wear our reflective vests. They say they are more visable at night(I dont neccesarily agree).

The only time i was at an accident without gear on was when we saw it and ran over. Even than the FF with had to disconnect the battery gearred up. The only time it is not required if the PD on-scene calls us as strictly as First Responders and even then i am still putting on my bunker pants.
    Kevin the Explorer

MembersZone Subscriber

Just to let you know, a drunk driver will hit you no matter what you are wearing. He's gonna be looking at all those red lights blinking instead of the road. Unless you have a ton of yellow. Secondly, most of my co-workers don't wear full turnout gear. We mainly wear our bunkers, that protects you from sharp metal, etc. when your leaning over or leaning into the car. Secondly you'll also have steel toe protection also. Now if its a pin, or other more involved incident, then the coats go on, and 1 guy will have an airpack on ready to go. Also for brush fires, you are only required to wear a helmet, gloves, and NFPA approved "safety boots." Although it also states you should have non-flammable clothing. I normally do the helmet (if its in the woods), gloves, bunkers, that way I don't get my uniform pants dirty, just sweaty, and don't get cut from a lot of glass and other stuff that can build up in hose after awhile.

---------------------------------------------The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

On my department... If you are caught at any scene without full turnouts on and you are in any area deemed an unsafe or "hot zone" then you are suspended for two months... On the second offense you are terminated and asked to not return...

Explain this to me... Why do you care man... Jump suits are only for the extricators anyway. I'd rather have my bunkers on at all times and be safe rather than risk getting hurt... Now you will often catch me without all my gear on... But only if we are in a certain stage of a scene or if I'm helping treat and transport injured or I'm not in a "hot zone". Otherwise, my gear is on and IT STAYS ON!!!

No need to risk it... I agree it gets hot, but like Andrew said... I feel safe when i got my bunkers on...Better to be hot than be hurt or killed. This is a dangerous line of work, and if you want to live a long, prosperous, and healthy life then you need to follow the rules and be safe at all times. Prove to the older firefighters that we aren't just dumbass kids... Show them you can be mature by being smart and wearing what you are supposed to...

Stay safe and watch for the lurking dragon!

Nixa Fire

District
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

This is kinda self-explanatory, but just to agree with the others.

Full structural turn-out gear. Pants, boots, helmet, rescue gloves, coat, suspenders etc. etc.

If we're caught without turnout gear on, unless the situation warrants removal of turnout gear, we're reprimanded etc.

The only time I wasn't in full turn out gear at any accident was when we had a tri-axle roll over on a car. I took my coat off b/c it was 97 degrees and we were just cleanin up the 20 tons of dirt the truck spilled over the road.
    "Wait for me next time, then we'll burn it down"

"When those drums of chemicals explode we'll see who the REAL men are"

No matter what kind of mva it may be the crew i belong to must have All PPE on. They don't want to see us risk the chance of Cutting ourselves on anything having to do with the wreck itself. null
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

Originally posted by SFDAJL:
    In my dept, everyone (including the regular ff's) are only issued turnout gear, we dont have jumpsuits, or even brush gear for brush fires, no matter what kind of call it is, everyone goes in with full bunker gear. It is a good safety idea to me, though it gets annoying and hot in summer or days like today where it was in the mid-90s in Mid-NJ and we had 4 calls (1 MVA, 1 BS "structure" and 2 Brush) Yeah it was hot as hell and my helmet started melting to my head (metaphorically) but I was glad that i had my turnout gear on just incase something happened
    NO BRUSH GEAR!!! i feel for you i have had to cut line with bunkers on it
    ohhh you dont want to know what it is like if you have never don that
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

Thread Information