Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    NJOUTLAW6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up LiL Kids who come to the Firehouse for Tours

You ever get those lil kids who come along who's parents ask if you can show them around. What do u do in ur fire station???
    Well we show them the truck, we let them try on our turn-out gear, and we they leave with a smile,and a coloring book or a cool hat and sticker with the thought of always coming back to visit us...``

------------------
    Thomas
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Nozzleman 84
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Kids at the station, the next best thing to running calls! We do pretty much the same thing, show them the rigs, turn on the red and blues, slide the pole for them and most importantly give um stickers. I think the best part is when I tell them that I'm only 16. The kids eyes kinda light up and they realize that the dream of being a firefighter can come true a lot quicker than they may think.

------------------
    Real Heros Wear SCBAs Not Capes

FF 13 50
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ya, it means alot to the kids when ya just let them climb in the trucks, wear your helmet and stuff like that. Its also good for your fire departments image cuase it shows you really do care. It also gets the kids interested in the fire service and may affect them joining later down the road. thanks and stay safe

jemar
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

THIS IS A WONDERFUL FOR THE KIDS----B-U-T---

REMEMBER TO TEACH THEM SOME FIRE SAFETY TOO !!!

Rookie1
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have all of the local schools visit our fire hall from the beginning of May till the end of June. We have approx. 2000 kids visit. Depending on their age, we do different things, movie, fire safety house, etc. Then we (firefighters, not kids) slide down the pole and then we let the little gaffers climb all over the trucks.

SCAFDEXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

I love to show people around the firehouse, no matter what age they are. It is a great feeling to be talking to people about something that is so important to me, and they are interested, asking questions, and wanting to learn more. I will let them try on my turnout gear(small children I will not let wear my helmet because of the safety risk), get in the trucks, turn on the lights for them, let them look through the TI camera, and lots of stuff. Also have to remember to throw in some fire prevention and safety.

------------------
    Nick Funk "Bubba"
    Exp. Captain/Training Officer
    FFII, FRO
    Swartz Creek Area Fire Dept.
    Post 41

"You go, We go."

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Basically, its an awesome feeling!

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

I really enjoy showing people around our firehouse, people like my family, friends, and my girlfriend mostly and most enjoyably. I let them climb into the jumpseats and that, though it's tough to do so with our new Pierce Quantum, thing is to damn big! Oh well, I still love doing it.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

EFDems841
    Firehouse.com Guest

SFD,
    Just make sure they don't get their knees/legs cracked by the pneumatic steps ;0)
    The town next to mine runs 2 2000 Quantums, during mutual aid the first few times after they got them, numerous people got hit by the steps (including me...twice)

Thread Information