TFDNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Running a call vs homwork????

This question has been floating around up in the old thinker. What happens if you Jr/explorers dont get a project or homework done due to a major incident, do your teachers understand situation and allow you some 'make-up' time or do they say,"Oh well,your problem"?.

Let me know what you guys have come across.

Have a good one folks!.

Jeremy
    Truxton Vol. Fire Dept

MTFEMS explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ok I understand what your think, but if you know you have a project to do then don't go to the firehouse for any runs. Even if it something really really big. School comes first. Thats what I think. And remember I am an explorer and I want to be on the fires too but again school comes first!

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Your schoolwork is more important then ANY calls. You are a junior/explorer, though you are important in the sense, your academics are more important. If its something really big, then you'll have Mutual Aid there, so you're not needed.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

Althea Forhan
    Firehouse.com Guest

OH, boy!!!

Most of my teachers are pretty excepting of it. As long as I provide proof of an actual call (run sheet) I get away with it. It's better than "My dog ate it". I don't do much homework anyways.

Althea

firecadetak
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have all had to make this decision before. You just need to use your best judgement. I have had to miss a lot of calls and drills or have had to leave early on occasions due to school work, it really sucks, but it's something you have to do.

There will always be fires and MVA's to go to, one missed call every once in awhile won't kill you.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

If you can't figure this out on your own, maybe you shouldn't be running calls.
    By using the fire department as your excuse to get out of school work you break the trust of the school teachers and administrators.
    So, when you dooo.... need to bail out, or you're late, or you miss something you'll be screwed!
    And finally it doesn't reflect well on your department.
    Hey guys, stick it out I was there only a couple of years ago and I know it's frustrating, but you will be better of in the end.
    (Damn, I'm starting to sound like my parents!)

ALSfirefighter
    Firehouse.com Guest

That call isn't gonna do you a lot of good in your future. Don't get in the habit of putting your vollie time ahead of your commitments, ie. school and more important work/family when you become a real firefighter. I frown upon any school that tolerates this.

===========================================
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

nsfdjr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lets see, education (necessary for a good job, unless you wanna be flippin burgers till retirement) or fire call (many in future). Easy Decision, Homework. I disagree with many that fire dept is no excuse not to do homework. School is the most important part of your life (and mine) right now. Trust me, the fire dept. is not going to disappear anytime soon. Stay in school and enjoy it while you can. Stay in school and get the best out of it that you can. I know I am.

-Stay Safe

------------------
    -Be Safe
    (The above comments do not reflect those of my department or other members)

volfiremen58
    Firehouse.com Guest

well school work is more importanat because being a volunteeer doesn't pay the bills but if the call is worth it go 4 it

TFDNY
    Firehouse.com Guest

Im well aware of this, I was seeing how others deal with this. If there is a call during my homework I wont go. High School degree's arent cutting it. To really get by you need a BS or MA (masters) to really get ahead. Im planning on a BS in Meteorology and some fire training and ems as backup. I understand the essential importants of education at this time in my life and in this era. I dont understand why firefighters leave school for calls, they leave for calls which they need not to. I agree with you fellow firefighters. Staying in school is the MOST important thing and wise decision.

Thanks for the continued comments.
    Jeremy
    Truxton Vol. Fire Dept

Wile_E_Coyote
    Firehouse.com Guest

Homework is important, and while I've been with my department I've only really 'missed' one assignment, but that was my own fault for not heading home right away to finish it up. I took the zero for it and moved on. My teacher offered a day to me for being honest, but I declined. If it's one thing I've learned with the department it's be punctual, or you will be left at the station to sign the sheet. So, homework is more important than calls, yes.. if they really need manpower they will tone you out again, or they will call in Mutual Aid.

Jon
    I.C.F.P.D. 2
    South Division

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Homework and the Schoolwork comes first !!! When you all become Senior Firefighters you will understand that Family and Work Obligations must come first !! You don't deserve credit for missed school work because you went to a fire/ems call. There is no reason why your work wasn't done before you responded....Although I feel Juniors are an important part of the operation you are not that important that you can't stay home and finish your school work...There are times I've had to stay home and finish my work --- because my job has deadlines to meet my work had to be done or my boss would be pis**d !! -- You should consider your teachers your bosses and your schoolwork as your career for the moment

------------------
    STRATFORD FIRE CO. # 1 NEW JERSEY STATE FIREMEN'S CONVENTION
    OVER-ALL CHAMPIONS 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2000 !!

***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

fireman1
    Firehouse.com Guest

The one asignment I missed was for a wildland /UI incdent and the teacher was pert time Forest Service so He let it fly but dont count on it happening every time. do your work then go to the staton and help out if your done in time. helping at the station may not be quite as exciting but there will be plent to be done. I missed many calls due to school work or football but I can ride the big red truck any day how often can you get into a good school by doing that?

(oh god i'm talkin my chief)

Cody
    FIREFIGHTERS: WE STILL MAKE HOUSE CALLS

AFD11EXP
    Firehouse.com Guest

School work always is before running call.

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was ONLY ASKING what people do. I myself dont favor calls over assignments. I also Id ask that people keep thier tempers in check.

Thank you.

Jeremy
    TVFD

SFDPOST588
    Firehouse.com Guest

it's your problem.
    when you get sworn into your post you were told school comes first

toneloc177
    Firehouse.com Guest

do what you think you have to do at that time - but you should NEVER let the firehouse get in the way of your studies - ESPECIALLY AS A JR/EXPLORER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daysleeper47
    Firehouse.com Guest

Forget the homework...RUN THE CALLS!!!

(and then fail out of HS, get kicked out the department, and be nothing but a firefighter wanna-be the rest of your life!!!!)

Do the homework ya fools!

JMiller02
    Firehouse.com Guest

Allllright.... I see that by making this post Ive opened a can of worms. My school obligations do come first and formost. More importantly that this last year of high school I do extremely well in, my Senior year. Its going to be incredibly time consuming. Heck, I know Ill miss out on some stuff, but thats okay, in the long run, it will pay off.

Thank you to all of those who shared thier opinions.

Jeremy
    Truxton FD

[This message has been edited by JMiller02 (edited 06-25-2001).]

Well, you might want to brush up on your homework first. You guys are nothing but a bunch of freaking whackers. You could ruin a wet dream thinking about your damn BLUELIGHTS and wigger waggers or whatever the hell they are. Mr. T says worry about about yo homework first SUCKAH!!!!

Originally posted by SFDAJL:
    Your schoolwork is more important then ANY calls.
    Now i follow this to the slightest detail. Your not going to be able to always make stuff up. Even if u plan to go to College one day u eventualy gotta get out of HS with the whatever education u got.
    Don't be so quick to say "Oh i'll finsih this later because it might to late before ur able to get back."
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

ok i am the biggest wacker but i dont respond to every call.... i would like to tho.... but i think homework is more important
    ~THE CHIEF WACKER~

Thread Information