Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    EXP11
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation What exactly can Explorers do?

I was wondering what can explorers all do at a fire, car accident?

expcapt.760
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Explorers can do whatever their by-laws and BSA laws limit them to. As far as fires, we are not supposed to be inside the houses, but wildfires allow us to bend the rules a little. Car wrecks are just a matter of what the firefighters in your department will let you do.

Are by-laws state that we cant go on the highway, go on mutual aid or ride in an open cab. But two weeks ago i rode in the back of an open cab engine on the way to mutual aid inwhich we took the highway to go to. Are by-laws are so outdated that no one follows them not even the chief. each Officer has there own set of rules that i pretty much know
    Kevin the Explorer

MembersZone Subscriber

hello,
    I am looking for some guidelines on explorers, We are looking to start an explorer post and just looking for guide to follow, anyone with info, please email it to me, thankyou and stay safe Flashover84@aol.com

Hey guys. Ok. My dad has been a firefighter since before I was born. I've known most of the guys all my life. Some of my guy friends are explorers now and I'm really interested in it. I want to learn about this stuff incase I even need it in life. Because I'm girl they don't want me to do it. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get them to change there minds?
    Please help.
    *!*Laura*!*

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: LilOneCFD12 ]

Hello! Actually, it depends more on the Child Labor laws than it does the Fire Dept. By-laws. The Fire Dept. by-laws are often add ons concerning the child labor laws.

It also depends on your age as to what you can do. For example, 16 and 17 year olds can make an exterior attack with a hoseline, provided they aren't wearing a pack, and they don't go inside. 14 and 15 year olds shouldn't be doing this.

For the most part,however, Juniors can't operate power tools such as Reciprocating saws (Saws-alls), hydrolic systems, K-12's, etc. etc. or be put into any dangerous situations that could threaten life or limb. Such as repelling for rope rescue, etc. etc.

Now, you are allowed to do these things for training, such as wear a pack, or rapell using ropes, etc.

It also depends on the amount of training you have. For example, I'm an EMT in the state of PA. I got that certification at 16 (I'm 17 right now). In many cases, I hold authority over some of the "regular members" at medical scenes (our dept. runs fire, rescue, ems as do many vol. fire depts.), just because I may have more medical training than they do.

When you are a junior, that's the best time to get your training. You don't have to come home from a job and then go and sit through 4 hours of class time about Hazmat. Get it all before you really start to "get a life". lol For example. I'm all set, I just have to turn 18. Myself and another junior in my dept have taken well over 300 hours of state cert. training. Our training records are actually mirrored. We did all of this without having to worry about a job, bills, kids, and the biggest one, spouses. lol I hope this info and ideas help. : )

[ 07-22-2001: Message edited by: dog_meat ]
    Ricky Whalen
    Jr. Firefighter/EMT-B
    Vehicle Rescue
    Technical Rescue
    Patiently Waiting for 18

We Have Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself - FDR

I am no longer active with the fire department that I was a JR Fire Fighter with.( I moved out of the state). HOWEVER, while I was a JR there, The only thing that I was not alowed to do was drive the trucks, and enter the building. But as everyone in this profession know.. ***** happens. I did infact drive the Rescue van on more than 10 calls by the time I was 18. ALSO prior to turning 18, I did 4 interior attacks on 4 different fires (all with SCBAs) on. There were no "labor laws" or by-laws describing calls that i could not go on or when I could or could not respond.(I only left school when a second alarm was struck.) I was more active thatn 99% of the "real" fire fighters. Out of the 328 calls the first year, I rode on the ladder or Engin on 316 of them, and the next year we ran 348, and I made 324 of them. Our dept. did not run medical calls. I was actually recognized by the dept. and the town selectmen for my dedicartion to the dept. While I was a JR, I was certified in the following:
    FF-1
    SCBA
    First Responder
    EMT-B (now EMT-P)
    Confined Space Rescue
    EVOC
    Mass Casuality/ Weapons Mass Destruction
    Landing Zone Corrordnation/ opperations
    HAZ-Mat awarness
    Extication Tech. (Lukas)
    Dive team member....

LOTS MORE

"a funny thing about fire fighters... day and night, they are always fire fighters."

I am a FF helping to rewrite the bi-laws for my dept. I need ideas on what other explorers are allowed to do. I also need to find a copy of what the BSA says that Explorers can do. Please e-mail me some info. savinu4078@aol.com
    these views are not those or my dept or my fellow FF's. Fight hard love your brothers

Thread Information