EXP11
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool Types of training for Explorers?

I would like to know some good training drills for explorers. Let me know

jwd37
    Firehouse.com Guest

When I was an explorer we did some training....it is hard to find stuff to do because of the limitations put up by state laws. Simulated search and rescue is good (crawling around the station floor). Work with the tools your are allowed to. That kinda stuff.

Joe
    Webmaster - centralpafire.com
    Junior - Company 37
    "We Do The Rest"

RLFD200
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I just recently was given the task of starting an explorer post wher I work. I started in an explorer post. We did lots of good training thats allowed such as: hydrant hook ups, black-out mazes, ladder training,hose evalutions. We also did fun things like Fire house jeopardy and pizza parties. There is lots of things to do, but be creative. If you have any questions E_mail me.

hi i am an explorer in bristol tn and we are a new post, but we have done some good trainings, the best was we took a smoke machine, and put it in a vacant house, and smoke up the house, then an explorer, with a firefighter dragged a booster line in and searched the house for a victim. (by the way we found him). also we have done hydrant hook-ups, we learned how to take the hose off the engine, hook it up and have water flowin. then our last drill we learned how to set up our 105ft. peirce lance tower ladder. after we learned how to set it up, we got to go up in it with a firefighter, and we got to control the bucket. you could go up all 105 ft, or you could go up 30ft, it was up too you. also we have done a drill where we donned turnout gear, and a scott and we practice changing bottles. these are some of the drills that we have done. theyre are millions of things to do for drills, the most imoortant way to pick them are things that the explorer want to do, and they have fun doing them. there is no reason to schedule a drill that the explorers arent going to like and have fun at, or be scared of. plus by doing that theyre not goin to learn anything if they are scared the whole time. well i hope this has been some help to you.

btfd explorer
    explorer

Well you can do SCBA, Ladders, Search and Rescue, Learn Rope Rescue, u can do pretty much anything that comes outta the FF 1 Book minus the LIVE burns...
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

I know in my company they had a cadet class every monday. We practiced hiting the hydrant, pulling handlines, and search and rescue in the firehouse. Then after 3 months I took FF1 and it was so easy because I knew everything they were talking about.

Forum Member

We do a lot of stuff, but the one thing they pound into us first is that Nozzle Accuracy matters so we practice on that. We just poke holes in the lid of a oil drum and cut different size holes on each of the barrels and just fill it with old newspapers and hay and set the contents on fire and the have them do tehy hydrant hook up, pull off the crosslays and knock it down. Its fun.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

my post has done an exterior attack on a wooden shed a simulated fire at the local jhs and many many search and rescue and line cutting drills
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

BTFD you did what with a tower??? You better not be in that thing if you are and explorer that is strictly forbid under BSA Exploring guidelines. And if you are doing these kinds of trainings then you shouldn't be advertising it in here cause BSA people do read these forums... TRUST ME I KNOW... I work with BSA on suprevising fire explorers. How ever for those explorers whe do happen to live in states where you must be over 18 to be a FF there is a new rule in your favor. As of last year any Explorer over 18 may now use Hydraulic Tools... As far as training goes do the same thing that the Regular firefighters do just within your rules and capabilities.... Hate to be the bearer of bad news but BSA sent an internal memo around to all offices to crack down on fire side since they have had a few incidents...

FF Cory Adkins
    LHCBSA Service Team Member Enterprise Division
    Fmr Explorer Post 900 CTFD
    "A 4x4 **** son plywood comes in bigger sheets than that make that hole bigger boy" There are those out there that know what I mean!!!!!!

Forum Member

Now I have a question Cory Adkins, bearer of bad news, what does the BSA consider fire side? Like fire scenes? Cause as I understand the regulations exploreers are NOT to be on any type of scene. So really we would be limited to hall duties basically. I mean and I would like to know your age also, you can email me with responses if you want.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

MembersZone Subscriber

uhh ohhhhhh here we go yea I gotta agree...keep the whole tower ladder training on the DL (downlow) cause I wouldnt be advertising that. Cause thats like saying OH My department let the explorer crew enter a burning structure the other day on teh 1st team in to knock the fire down..WHICH WE DIDNT Of COURSE cause that would be just plain crrrazyyyy But yea Just a little hint to the posts or cadet corps who tend to bend the rules DONT POST IT HERE!!!
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

well, bing a cadet, and actually a member of the department, i can do prettytmuch anyhting except go into a building untill its been cleard by the saftey inspector(unless its a training burn.)so we get to do training burns, car extracations, rideouts, salvage and overhauls, trainings, and almost anything else you can dream of
    Feuer frei!

MembersZone Subscriber

Yea until child labor & Osha get ahold of your department and run it into the ground for endangering minors
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

Thread Information