Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Jon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking thoughts on fireworks

Hey I was wondering, what does everyone think of consumer fireworks, are they legal where you live, do you like or oppose, do fireworks cause any problems in your area?
    Personally I love fireworks. Unfortunately i live in massachusetts and they are illegal here. Doesnt stop a lot of people tho. Fireworks rarely cause any trouble here because people that have enogh to go through the trouble to get them will usually be smart enough to use them safely. Let me know what you think!

Fireguy57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

They're not illegal unless you get caught!!!!

SFDAJL
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

yes yes, its not illegal if I don't see it! lol. Though on a more serious note, they're illegal in NJ, and because of an accident a few years ago, we're supposed to help the pd crack down on it. Though I still love running standby for like the fairs and memorial day/4th of July fireworks.

------------------
    Andrew Landstrom
    Station 71
    Spotswood Vol. Fire Department
    Spotswood, New Jersey

You light 'em, We fight 'em

Engine58
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Fireworks are Awesome.. As Fireguy said they are legal as long as you dont get caught! haha....but ya umm anyways.. A bunch of guys from a few fire companies all go down to the waterfront after our picnic on 4th of July and shoot off all our supply that we've all purchased. Its safe...Nothing goes wrong...PD knows who's shooting the stuff off so they dont really say anything and there is no houses around so no one complains... Plus we even have a few off duty cops who come down with us and shoot off there fireworks. I always try to get to go to all the fireworks standbys with either fire or EMS they are just cool to watch....and alot of fun as long as you play it safe..

------------------
    Andrew
    South Amboy, New Jersey
    Explorer Engine 6 So. Amboy Fire Dept & Cadet Morgan FAS
    "EMTS DON'T DIE THEY JUST STABILIZE"
    http://engine058.boltpages.com/southamboyfiredepartmentexplor erpost6/

pfr172
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I also love fireworks. Where I live they are VERY illegal. Almost every year we get a structure fire on the 4th of July due to fireworks. The main problem are bottle rockets,they land on wood shingle roofs. There havent been to many problems other than that.

Neener neener neener! Where I live fireworks are very legal, except for bottle rockets. Why does the fourth have to be right in the middle of fire season?

Althea

Originally posted by Althea Forhan:
    Neener neener neener! Where I live fireworks are very legal, except for bottle rockets. Why does the fourth have to be right in the middle of fire season?

Althea
    it has to be in the middle of fire season so we get some damn good fires come on. im with a volinteer dept. so when we get fires on the forth people are busy so i get to go
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

MembersZone Subscriber

They are illegal here in NY. And for good reason. I pick up at least one child and adult per year that either loose an entire hand or fingers from m-80 type fireworks. That doesn't include flash burns, and the one child who lost an eye when a bottle rocket went errant and blasted through his eyeball.

Tristin, someday you will grow up in the fire service and realize what you just posted. If you want calls and fires so much, how about your house. Or anyone in your family's house. Watch what you ask for or get excited about. Not to mention the fact that one of your firefighters could get killed. The main job of the fire dept. is to prevent fires. And before you say you were only joking, I don't take it that way. Be professional. Regardless of vollie/paid or what have you.

============================== ==============

Here in CT they are VERY illegal and for a very good reason. I do not like fire works unless they are sparklers or being used by professionals. In CT posession of any type of pyrotechnic device (fireworks) carries a misdamenor offense. But posession of Explosive Devices (M-80 and higher)carries a felony charge and jail time up to one year. I feel they are unsafe because they cause thousands of injuries. Just two days ago in Hartford a teen was playing with fireworks ,stupidly in his apartmentbuilding. He set off a cherry bomb which caught a matress on fire which caught the wall on fire which caught the rest of the building on fire and caused 16 people to lose their homes.
    Fireworks can blow you to pieces. The M-80 which may look small can pack a very big punch. Its known to cause damage to fingers, hands and eyes.The M-100which has a 1" diameter, 2.5" long can cause severe damge to FACE ARMS and BODY, The M-250; 1 inch Diameter 3 inches long .48 oz of explosive mixture, causes severe crippling and disfiguring injuries, if exploded near the individual. The M-1000 is 1" Diameter 6" long has been known to cause sever injury to ones body and has caused DEATH! Do not play with these explosives. They are manufactured and imported illegallly into the U.S. if you know what is good for you and want to keep your body in one piece you will not use these explosives. And by the way the M-80 and above is outlawed everywhere in the U.S. it is felony offense to posess or detonate these devices.

Fireworks are the best, as long as you don't get caught! I dont mind the public setting them off, as long as they are careful. And standing by for fireworks are the best of times
    -Stay Safe

fireworks are great to watch when you know how to use them properly but should be kept out of childrens hands and to make a reply to the first question fireworks cause many problems in my area because under aged children get their hands blown off. GINA.HINCH@firehousemail.com

Fireworks here in Monrovia and several neighboring city's are very illegal due to the high brsuh hazards, You get caught with any type of fireworks and your going to be getting to know our Justice system, About 2 years ago a 14 year old boy lost his hand because he was messing around with an M-80

Thread Information