Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disney Show In A heart beat bad or good???

Hey All,
    since you explorers and Juniors are bickering about stupid lights and such. I thought Id give you guys a question to think about. What do you guys think about the Disney show in A heart beat. Do you think it really potrays you guys in a good light, also how close do you think they are to makig it look real. Also do you think this is a good or negative influence on kids.

I personally think its negative, it shows things so easy. A kid watching this may want to go do it, thinking it would be a cake walk. Its not, lets here what you guys think.

Oh yeah, lol, High School kids driving Ambulences. LOL. What ever state allows that they need new people running it.

Jeremy

I havent heard of the show, therefore I have never seen the show. What time is this on so I can take a peak?
    -Stay Safe

In my town, there is a hs student who drives an ambulance for our town's first aid squad. He's damn good at it too, better then some of the adult's who drive them. If you get the proper training and that it shouldn't be a problem.
    9-11-01 FDNY 343 - Lest We Forget

i think that it is not good because they potray the life as a medic an easy one which you can just walk though it just isnt realistic
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

The show is loosely based on a squad in Connecticut that is staffed primarily by high school students. I'm not sure what town exactly it is.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

I can't beleive how unrealistic that show is. I think it increases the idealism surrounding EMS, which is not a good thing. A lot of little kids are going to see it and think "It's so easy" and have no idea what it's like to deal with a truly combative patient, or go on a call to find that the patint who died in your arms was somebody you went to school with. The very sets give away the whole philosophy of the show--no garbage on the sidewalk, no homeless guy sleeping in the doorway, no problems, no evil. I think there's a sociological term for it called "Disneyization"

Althea

God that show is just lame, I'll rank it up there with LA Firefighters as one of the worst shows portraying the Emergency Services, I give it 2 thumbs down

Forum Member

Originally posted by EFDems841:
    The show is loosely based on a squad in Connecticut that is staffed primarily by high school students. I'm not sure what town exactly it is.
    You're thinking of Darien, CT - where EMS is composed of 50 high school teenagers and 20 adult advisors. Part of the Explorer program and was started in the 1970's. Darien is the only town in lower Connecticut that does not have a dedicated ALS unit in town although the Explorer Post does contract with bordering towns for Paramedic intercepts.

- Turk II

Thanks Turk. I coulddn't remember the name of the town. Am I correct in saying that? I remember reading something about the show in Jems or another EMS mag about it.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

Forum Member

From what I know the show was based slightly on Darien.... Disney did ride with DEMS a few times and there are a number of similarities between DEMS and the show.

I have watched the show and i think it's a crock. The 4 "EMT's" have it so easy on every call. They handle every call even chest pain WITHOUT ALS assistance. Now come on, i know most teenagers can't handle it being a second or third person, let alone running a full ACLS protocal. I'm not putting anyone down but that show is so off, plus it makes itself out to be a show about "teen EMT's" its just another soap opera. That's how i feel, anyone want to add to my comment reply and i'll talk some more about it.
    Nick
    Fairfield Twp Vol Fire Co
    Junior Firefighter/EMT
    -------------------------
    "Find em hot, leave em wet"

Hey guys, I think we are forgetting one major aspect of this show. It's on the DISNEY CHANNEL for heaven's sake. Its not going to be like ER. The show mainly appeals to a younger pre-teen crowd. They are not gonna show all the blood and gore we have seen on shows like ER or Chicago Hope. It mainly shows the trials and tribulations the EMS squad has to deal with not only in the medial field but also in the field of being normal high school students. Personally I think the show is kinda cool, and I am 18 years old. Also the Stratford Connecticut EMS, is mainly run by high school students. And I must say they do a pretty good job.

the only thing i like about the show is NOTHING... the show rots
    ~THE CHIEF WACKER~

I live in the next town over from Darien CT and have met several of the Explorers of Post 53. The program is one of a kind. As for being the only town without dedicated ALS in our county that is not entirely true. Several of the smaller towns rely on contract ALS of one kind or another. My city has a 1 man fly car that was purchased by Darien for response with Post 53 on ALS calls. It is stationed in a Firehouse in Stamford right on the town line.

Although alot of the show isn't realistic... Titan is right guys and gals... It's the disney channel... You aren't going to be able to see blood and guts on a channel made for 5-18 year olds... It's just not going to happen... I personally find it somewhat interesting. Who knows, maybe it will encourage more kids to think about joining and becoming EMT's and Medics.... Everyone here knows that their currently is a shortage of both Firefighters and Medical Personell for volunteer squads and departments... Give it a rest, the real people (by that I mean us) don't always have to tear into every show we don't like because they don't portray it as real... PEOPLE DON'T LIKE REALITY. If you have ever seen the TV LAND commercial, it states a very important fact...

Death...Crime...Work...Sadness ...Murder... All are part of our everyday reality... And we all agree that REALITY SUCKS!!!

So come on guys... Let's be optimistic. While it may not be the truth about what we do and while it may portray all of our hardships as "cake-walks" let's all just try and be positive and know that some good may come out of this by encouraging young kids that more EMT's, Medics, and firefighters are needed in this world everyday. And maybe they will be encouraged to join up because they watched the show and decided that they too wanted to try and do some good... I'd like to see em come out with a Firefighter Segment following the Fire Cadets and Explorers... Give us the limelight for a little while... Give us a reality tv show... After all... We are the future of the fire service, and whether you wanna admit it or not... WE WILL BE PAYING FOR YOUR RETIREMENT WHEN WE TAKE OVER THE WORLD... If worse comes to worse... WE can always send a large letter signed by us all to the disney corporation and display our disappointment in how they portray us... I'm sure they would make changes because they hate confrontation with possible CUSTOMERS!!! Everyone have a safe shift and a nice day... And by the way... I semi-enjoy watching IN A HEARTBEAT... And for those who have yet to see it... It comes on at 8 et/pt on Saturdays and Sundays on Zoog Disney which is the disney channel's weekend program line up Let's hear everyone's feedback to my posting... I'm open to criticism if you wanna dish it out...
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

I just wanted to mention one more thing that I thought about while working today.... The show is truly keyed for kids....

Can we honestly say at 5 and 6 years old, that we knew how unreal the shows about us on television were and how they didn't compare to what we would really be dealing with some years later.... NO!

So lets give the kids a chance to enjoy the show and encourage them that it is something they might want to do. Always be positive about something guys... There is enough negative in this world that we don't need to criticize kids television shows for not being 100% real... NOT TWO OUT OF TEN KIDS HAS A CLUE ON WHAT ALS MEANS... SO LETS KEEP IT THAT WAY AND WAIT TILL THEY ARE OLDER...
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

Hey every one! I 've seen the show a couple of time and I'll have to talke both sides on the issue. I agree the show does portray the fire/ems service as a "walk in the park" but it is also a kids show. I 'm not a senior or junior firefighter or a fire explorer for that matter but I have grown up around the fire dept my whole like and I know things that are'n as simple but they age group of the people that are watching the show alreaduy think the firedept is just a "walk in the park" this is what they have thought about the fire service their whole life.
    LADIES LOVE ME.
    FLAMES FEAR ME.

"I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THIS FLAG, IF THAT BOTHERS YOU WELL THATS TOO BAD!" AARON TIPPIN

If you wish to burn our flag please remember to wrap yourself in it first!!!

ALL SOUTHERNERS ARE EXEMPT FROM ANY AND ALL OF MY YANKEE COMMENTS ON ANY AND ALL FORUMS.

THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!!!

It's a disney show. What do ya expect? Ya sure its unrealistic but I doubt they'd show things like drunk and combative patients and people with blown-off hands on the Disney channel. They'd have lawsuits up the wazoo. The show would be like rated "TV-14" or something like that.
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

I know my sister rants about the show, I personally have never seen it, and have never been interested. She loves the fact that people her age could be doing things like that, and when that show came out, and then I joined the Vol. Fire Department, she is leaning towards joining too. I do agree that this show, even though I have never viewed it, might possibly help bring about a solution to our shortage
    Angie

I have a question for the anti-In a heart beat people. Have any of you ever watched "Emergency!"? people look back now days and say did we really do things like that we must have been nut's. The issue here is not that it is not realistic it is that the Entertainment industry has recognized the need to make shows and movies like this to get people interested in it so it makes our lives easier, soo what if it is kinda corny or un-realistic it is putting ideas into the heads of future ems, and fire personnel that wow that is cool and maybe I want to do that some day. Arnold Shwarzzeneger was in a movie about an L.A. fire captain that is due out this fall or something but even he recognizes the need for more people after he finished production he bought every L.A. fire dept. a thermal imaging camera to help out in their daily lives. Soo if Disney the land of out of nowhere street musicals is trying to make a show portraying explorers and young EMT's more power to them atleast they are trying to do some good. But this is only my opinion.
    David McFeaters
    FF/EMT
    R.G.V.F.D. 21-1

Thread Information