Default "salad bowl" helmets vs. New Yorkers or anyother helmets

i dun get what the big difference between the two different helmets is. which do u think are better, and y.
    a helmet is a helmet in my veiw,they are all there to perform the same duty, so who cares what they look like?
    michelle

There is no difference really, the "salad bowls" are the "new-era" of fire head gear, though a lot of departments like the old traditional helmets. I personally like the traditional helmets because for the reasons mearly of it being like the ones I saw which hooked me on the fire service back in NY.

Forum Member

Only thing I don't like about the salad bowls (the Metro Style helmet) is that the rear lip is not usually as long as a traditional New Yorker helmet. Just a few drops of hot water down inside the back of your coat should be enough to really bother you at the least....

- Turk II

Sayin that the helmets perform the same way would be an incorrect statement. The salad bowls that we are talkin about which i assume to be the bullard advent helmets do not meet any NFPA standard. According to the rules i read explorers must have full protective gear. The only standard that these helmets meet in ANSI and OSHA. They are desinged for rescue/ems/construcction etc. but not for strucural firefighting or anything related in any way to it. Therefore this does not constitue full gear and propper helmets should be issued.

just my 2 cents
    -Jay

Well ladies and gentelmen i'll take a plastic helmet over a new yorker or any leaher helmet because they are confortable. NO HELMET in the world will protect ur head totally. A Salad bowl helemt as well as a leather r just to keep ur brains in tact so the doctor doesn;t need to dirty a Soup Laddel. Just wanted to say that.
    Thomas J.
    Protection Eng Co Explorer Post #6

Stay Safe and Never Forget Your Fallen Brothers and Sisters.

bke

I like the traditional style helmet too. I notice all the new Firefighters here are going back to the traditional helmets. I never liked the new "salad bowl" helmets.
    Of course, I still like the traditional black turnouts with yellow/green stripes vs. brown or tan turnouts! I guess it is different for everybody.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

I think new yorkers are better because when you are on a call inside a house somthing may fall on you this helmet normally gives better protection then the bowl GINA.HINCH@firehousemail.com

Thread Information