Forum Member

Default Seagraves or ALF

Which fire truck manufacturer do you guys think is best Seagraves or American LaFrance or any of the others.
    I think seagrave is better one because they have been making fire trucks longer than any other companies. Most of our trucks have been E-one's but we have two ladder trucks from the 70's and they r the best two we have.
    Just wondering what your opinions were.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member

Well I really have no beef with either, We have E-Ones they work fine, Know a couple FD's that use Seagraves they work just ifne also, Got to love those old American LaFrances as for the new American LaFrances they're all right haven't had a chance to be around one and check it out but either company is pretty good but technically ALF I think has been around longer I maybe wrong

alf has been around alot longer then any fire truck manufacture. i think they came a long way. there service and quality are second to none.we would have nothing else in station

Hahn is my favorite manufacturer, though they've been out of business for a long time, we used to have two pumpers of them in service (2nd and 3rd due) but we replaced one, but still run one. Pierce is my second fav. (we have 2 of them a 1992 Lance and a 2001 Quantum). Though like E101 said, the old ALF's are really cool, not a big fan of the new ones though. And as for Seagraves, they're alright, but I dont really know of any departments around me (save for FDNY) that have them so I dun have an opinion on them.

Forum Member

Seagraves have been around longer than American la France I'm pretty sure. Alf has not always been alf. So I dont know I was just wandering which truck u think was the better one. Personally I like seagraves best. Just about every truck FDNY has are seagraves and all of louisville Ky's trucks are seagraves. So they must be the better trucks or at least I think so. I have nothing against the others but I think seagraves are the best
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

ALF HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A VERY LONG TIME, BUT KEEP IN MIND THEY ALMOST WENT OUT OF BUSINESS A FEW TIMES, AND WHERE RESCUED BY LARGER COMPANIES. WHEN FRIEGHTLINER BECAME THE PARENT COMPANY ALF CAME OUT WITH THE EAGLE SERIES WHICH AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED IS THE PRETTIEST LOOKING TRUCK EVER MADE. WE RUN A SEAGRAVE 100' QUINT, AND HAS SUCH A GOOD LAYOUT, I DON'T THINK I'VE EVER SEEN ANYTHING ELSE THAT COULD FIT IN OUR OLD STATION AND STILL PACK THAT MUCH FIREFIGHTING PUNCH. WHEN YOUR TALKING A CUSTOM SEAGRAVE OR ALF, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG, AS LONG AS IT FITS THE DEPARTMENTS NEEDS. OUR NEXT ENGINE WILL PROBABLY BE A LAFRANCE, CAN'T WAIT TO GET RID OF THE E-ONE, TALK ABOUT A POORLY LAID OUT TRUCK. TIP OF THE DAY: DON'T GET A FLOOR MODEL, EVER.

The city I live in uses mostly Sutphen apparatus. The city maintenance facility swears by 'em. Even though they have a few Pierce trucks, they continue to go back to Sutphen. My full time dept. has a Ford/Pierce pumper and my part time dept. used mostly rigs from 4-Guys.

I personally prefer Pierce over ALF and Seagrave

Forum Member

I kinda agree with jeffery almond that you cant go wrong has long as it fits the dept's needs. but iill prefer seagraves

I would go with pierce. www.piercemfg.com

Pierce has a good website, its a shame that they dont keep the "New Deliveries" updated -- the ones up there have been up there since like March, oh well.

neither.......PIERCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Robert A. Klinger, Jr.
    (FIREFIGHTER)

In our dept we have E-One, two new Saulsburys, a heavy rescue and engine, and one AL. I have to say I love the Saulsbury pieces. But then I gotta say I love the old American Lafrance, still runs like it did the first day!
    -Stay Safe

Go away klinger New Lexington any day! better price on a better truck!
    There are three truths in life:

1. Jews do not recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
    2. Protestants do not recognize the Pope as the leader of the Christian faith.
    3. Two Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store.

Forum Member

I am a fan of Seagrave among the two choices, as I HATE! the new ALFs cab style. The old ALFs were great, but the new ones are just ugly. They are trying to keep a style that is way beyond the times. Seagrave must be a good truck for FDNY to use 210 of them as frontline engines and most of thier ladders. Youngstown had a few Seagraves, but this goes back the 1940's, I think.

Overall, I like Pierce. Youngstown is spec-ing two new trucks at this moment, most likely Sabers or Contenders. I like the Saber myself. But hey, if you want a really good truck, you can't go wrong with Sutphen. The YFD bought a 2000 100-foot tower from them, and GOD! is that a gorgeous truck! I actually kind of wish Y-town had gone with Sutphen on these trucks, as they make a great pumper too, and they are fairly local. Just my 2 cents!

Forum Member

Finally someone who likes seagraves. Daysleepr47 you say that sutphen's are good trucks. They do look nice but they dont hold up to well from what I hear. We have three Firefighter's here that work with the lexington fd in central ky and they have had problems with every sutphen they bought.they say that the cags keep cracking or breaking.

MembersZone Subscriber

Well There Are a number of rigs i like In the chicago they got 2 Hummer Mini Pumpers 1 at each major airport, and the Big Oshkosh T-3000's I like them because they are big and can put out a lot of foam on a gas staion fire like one did from O'hare a few years ago. but for the normal rigs i like the Spartan / Luverne Pumpers, that chicago is starting to use as the bulk of its force For ALS rigs, and the new Squads they got the 2000 HME/Central States Squad and Snorkel are good looking rigs. but any way thase are the rigs i like.

Well, I don't know very much about ALF, but Seagrave's are really nice trucks. A nearby rescue squad has a Seagrave/Marion rig that looks pretty sharp. The new American LaFrance seems to becoming more popular; I'm starting to see more and more of them. As for the rest, most of the departments in my area operate Pierce. They seem to be quite a dependable truck, but everyone keeps ordering Pierce Lance's which all look the same after a while. Lot's of people don't seem to like E-One's, but I really like their HUSH pumper. That is such an awesome rig!
    Just my views of things.
    Stay Safe!
    j6200

Hello! Out of the three departments I work with, we have four different models of rigs.

One has a Pierce Tanker and an HME Squad.
    The other has a Seagrave Engine and a Pierce heavy rescue.

And the last one has a 1962 Mack C-95 Engine. This truck is awesome. Yes, it's a little old, but she still purrs. Mack used to have a good fire truck dept. I guess you could call it, but they abandoned that a little while ago.

I like Pierce, they are good, some people say they used to be better, though. The Seagrave engine is good also, the dept. couldn't be happier with it.

LOL, I guess if it fits the dept. needs, like was mentioned before, anything could be good. : )
    Ricky Whalen
    Jr. Firefighter/EMT-B
    Vehicle Rescue
    Technical Rescue
    Patiently Waiting for 18

We Have Nothing to Fear But Fear Itself - FDR

For those of you running HME trucks, how do you like them? My dept was looking at one and thought it was a piece of crap. Body was made out of thin aluminum that flexed really badly. plus the workmanship didn't impress us all that much. I haven't heard too many good things about HME's. The town was trying at first to get us to get a HME because the dealer lives in our town..about 1 mile from station 1. But after showing the selectmen the difference between the HME and Pierce, there was no concideration. Even a layman could tell the quality was not there.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

I rank them as the following:
    1. Pierce
    2. ALF
    3. Saulsbury
    4. E-One
    5. Boise Mobile Equipment
    6. SVI ( if your into rescues they do a helluva job)

I personally would stay away from these manufacturers but only personally:
    1. MasterBody ( if you like missing components they are your kind of people)
    2. KME (underpowered expensive deadweight IMO)

The rest are personal choices as to stay away from some you pay for the name but their quality is not the same as it once was.

SEAGRAVE, NUFF SAID.
    Find 'em hot, Leave 'em wet.

Forum Member

Originally posted by Tired Of EMS:
    SEAGRAVE, NUFF SAID.
    Amen brother!

Dog meat I love what you said about the Mack. When i started hanginfg out at the fire station when I was four up until about 11 years ago, we had an all mack station.

Eninge 53, at the time it was a '78 cf pumper with an open back cab
    Ladder 51, a late 60's mid mount c-95
    Enine 50, '59 that can to this day pump 600gal/minute like it did the day it was delivered brand new to our station
    Today engine 50 is in a museum, 51 was givin up for a brand new seagrave 100' quint (sweet truck NY look)53 was refurbed to have an enclosed cab and is now second due behind the 95 e-one we got stuck with(can't get close to what we owe on it) after a merger of departments but 53 has had to fill in as the more reliable trucks after serious trannie repairs on the e-one.

Forum Member

The "big" depts. using Seagraves can be sumed up in one word, POLITICS and has nothing,zero, to do with the quality. Like the saying goes; "Its not what you know but who you know." This being said, I am not ripping on anyone just stating facts of life in the big cities.

Thread Information