Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Leather or rubber boots

I'm looking into buying a pair of leather boots. Everyone says that they are alot better than rubber boots. I was just wandering if any of you used them.
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

No, we believe in rubber boots. However we are on a low gear budget and cant afford to buy new leather boots.

ive never used leather boots but i have a pair of ranger shoe fit boots and they are nice save some money get those
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

hi i have worn both, rubbers and leathers, i currently have a pair of black diamond leather fire boots, they are 14" high, and have pull tabs, and they feature a safety two and shen. i love them, i think they are far more comfortable than rubbers. in mine i also put a pair of dr. scholls in them, and that makes them even more comfortable. they are a little heavier than rubber boots, but in my opinion i think they are far more comfortable and will last a lot longer. but it also depends on your budget, and how much you or your department is willing/able to spend on bunker boots.

btfd explorer

i hope this has been some help to you
    explorer

I __LOVE__ my leather boots. They are very lightweight, comfortable, and breathable. From an explorer standpoint though, you guys do a lot of training with crawling around on the floor, and unfortunatly leather boots dont hold up well.

If you do buy them, put duct tape on the toes, but you might wanna think about waiting until you work for a dept that buys/replaces them for you.

Ive heard many good things about leathers!! might be getting a pair myself.
    -Stay Safe

leather burns after awhile and is very flimbsy, doesnt protect from the nails ect on the ground, Rubber all the way
    Explorer
    Ladder 111
    Rescue 5
    Squad 288

Leather all the way. Pro Warringtons are the best leathers you can buy Very comfortable

I don't know where you come up with the notions that leather is weaker then rubber and won't keep out nails and other ****, but you are a little wrong. Why don't cowboys not wear rubber chaps? Because they are not effective. Why doesn't God wrap animals in rubber? Because it is not effective. The only thing effective about rubber is keeping out the water until they rot out. Leather is more durable, lightweight and looks tons better! If you can afford them, go with the leathers!

Well Steven, I have a pair of rubber and a pair of leather. My rubbers are shoe fit and are very comfortable. But my ranger leathers are awesome! I also have put insoles in mine, and they are just like wearing a pair of regular work boots. I have stepped on nails, crawled through all kinds of crap and they have not even been touched. My rubbers are starting to crack and the yellow coming off of the toe.
    So in my own opinion, (which probably isn't much) I would save your money up and buy your own pair of leathers. Even if your dept. buys your ppe.
    (The young guys in our dept. wear leather, and now the old farts are finally admitting that they like them.

Good luck in your decision Steven

Bobby Norton
    City of Washington Fire Dept.
    Washington, Indiana
    Local 495

Most of the guys in my department wear leather. I have had two pairs now and love them. The comfort compared to rubber is 100% better. The only issue I have had is that the leather cover over the toes tear or melt over a period of time. The current pair I have are experiancing this problem. I have only had them for about 4 months and they have seen some pretty hot fires. HEY COLUMBUS,..... is this the reason for the duct tape on the toes?

I've worn both Rubber and Leather boots and all things considered I'a almost rather go barefoot that put another rubber boot back on.

I currently wear a pair of the 8" Black Diamonds that I have had for several years and I absolutly love them.

That being said - here are a few thought of my onw for my next pair of leather boots.

- Next time I'm getting leather (or Leather/Kevlar) Bunker style boots.
    1) Because I'm tired of all the times I've had to slip on my Bunker pants and ended up with wet feet because I was trying to step into my boots and ended up in the wet grass, rain, mud, snow, etc in my sock feet.

2) I'm also tired of the times I ended up with a boot full of water after stepping into a creek/pond to help place or remove a suction hose/strainer (Man I love those floating strainers )

- Next Time I'm going to shop around more and compair Fit, Feel, and WEIGHT between brands before I buy. I love my Black Diamonds but I swear they are about the heaviest thing I have ever worn.

Well - thats my opinion - Ya asked for it - Ya got it.

Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information