Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stander-by-ers/gwakers

Hey brothers,
    Where do you guys stand on public standing around fire scene watching and "gwaking". Do you ever get frustated?.

Also what does your dept when public are near fire scene and are asking questions and impedding business.

Anythoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

I personally don't care if the public wants stand around and watch at a fire scene, AS LONG AS they're far enough away that they're in no danger and can't interfere with people working, apparatus arriving/departing, etc.

Now, MVAs are another story. When you're working a crash on the highway where people normally travel 70 MPH, it seems people do one of three things:

1) They think "slowing down" involves doing 50 MPH past the firefighter/police standing on the white line directing traffic.

2) They slow down to a crawl, and want to stare at victims, involved cars, the wrinkled guardrail, etc, but pay NO ATTENTION to their driving.

3) They slow down to an appropriate speed, wait for those directing traffic to tell them what to do, and basically work with you.

75% of people fall into #1 and #2. That's very frustrating and dangerous.

As to the second part of the question, most people will move back willingly if you politely but firmly explain that you don't have time to talk now, that it's not safe where they are, and if you point them to a more appropriate area.

I've had more trouble with family members on EMS calls than with the average passerby on MVA's or fires.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Out for a ride to watch death and destruction -- I know a lot of people who do that, it ****es me off. Otherwise, I dont mind ya know if a resident across the scene from a fire scene is watching what's going on, as long as they stay clear and out of the way, its ok, but the people who come, get in the way, or make comments about how we operate is what ticks me off.

It helps with fire police and police on scene keeping everyone back. That way, everyone stays safe, and no one obstructs the operation in which we need to do.
    -Stay Safe

bke

People standing across the street from a scene is not bad. But when they hear sirens in their neighborhood and get in their cars because they might see a house burning or people suffering, this really makes me mad. Then they start running over hose lines and hendering the work then it is a big problem.
    BKE
    Proud to be an American.

"No animals were used in the posting of this thread. Two sticks of bubble gum and a hulahoop yes, animals no..."

MembersZone Subscriber Engine58's Avatar

Yea, I have no problem with people watching the fire scene or whatever type of scene it happens to be just as long as they are a safe distance away and arent getting in the way.like BKE said...some people hear the sirens go in or hear the alarm on their scanners and go hop in there cars chasing the firetrucks..and that is annoying...YES I admit I used to do it too before I was an explorer but I also used to "assist" my brothers company with some things when on a major incident. I also used to go just to check it out and watch how things work..and hope to see a family member on scene or whatever.. and I stayed far enough away until a firefighter or the fire chief said I can come over and sit near a truck or somethin.. but now the people who just totally ignore the yellow line and get in the way...well that just is down right ignorant..and should be stopped..
    Andrew
    Firefighter/EMT
    New Jersey

One time there was a structure fire goin' down that was visible from 101 and some moron was trying to watch it as they drove past and cut in front of a tanker full of hydrogen peroxide. The tanker swerved into the meridian but didn't leak or anything.

Althea

I could really careless who is standing around watching, just as long as they stay out of the way. Hell, half the time I am considered a standerby or rubbernecker by people in my own department

People don't need to be standing close to an incident. They need to stay out of any danger and well out of the way of the apparatus and firemen. We all have protective clothing and insurance, they don't. Plus we can't be tying up any rescues on bystanders. Always keep in mind one thing: if its a suspicious fire and you see some guy in the crowd playing with himself, he's probably the pyromaniac who lit it. Besides the public doesn't care what you do right but when you skip a less necssary step in the process or start ventilating, they usually have a lot to say.

burnin down the house
    Firehouse.com Guest

just as long as they are out of the way, and out of the way of the guys doing their work, it dont matter where they stand, they could lay down and sleep as far as I am concerned

In our covarage area, we have 'siren chasin police units'. They respond to anything we get paged out on, except for medicals. So we use them, We say,"hey, go over there and turn on your pretty little lights and keep the gawkers and rubbernecks out of the way." but seriously, we couldn't do the things we do without their help, so I salute them for being 'Siren Chasin Police Units'. It's kinda funny when on-lookers get nasty with them, they put 'em in cuffs and let them sit in the back of the cruiser.

whats wrong with people standing around and watching whats going on and as explorers we should help control the crowd
    -Tristin
    Orcutt Fire Protection District
    Explorer Post 2335
    Always remember "when the **** hits the fan turn off the fan"

Thread Information