MembersZone Subscriber

Default Colleges with fire sciences and vol. fire departments

Does any one know of any colleges that have a volunteer fire department on or near campus and a fire science/engineering program? I've been looking everywhere and can only find one. Any help would be appreciated.

In Western Massachusetts, Berkshire Community College has a fire science degree. There are many volly depts in surrounding towns. The only paid dept around is the city that the college is in.
    Here is the web page for the college Berkshire Community College
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

The University of Maryland has a fire protection and fire engineering program. They also have a volunteer fd located in College Park. Here is the link. CPVFD
    Texas A&M also has a fire program but I am not familiar with it. Best of luck and stay safe.
    -JaY-

Forum Member

I am a Student at Oklahoma State University, I am also a member of Ripley Vol Fire/Rescue. At school there is 2 other Vol fire departments that have students on. Our degree is a Bachlor of Science,in fire Protection and Safety Engineering Technology. Give it a look, also there is great opprotunity for summer internships with very large and small departments throughout the US through our program
    let me know if im not clear

pat

IACOJ Agitator

University of New Haven (CT) has a fire science program. The campus is actually in West Haven (or at least damn close to it) and I know West Haven has at least one volunteer department. But there are some surrounding towns that definately do have volunteer companies.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

University of Alaska Fairbanks has an Emegency Service program and an on campus department with student firefighters.

RJ,
    I do believe we have your dream college here in southwest missouri... Located just outside of Branson off of Highway 65 is College of the Ozarks... It is a four year college designed for people who really can't afford to go... In return for your education in the field of your choice, you work at one of the various jobs on the campus... C of O is like its own town... You can work at any of the following...

Airport
    Police Station
    Store
    School buildings
    Fire Department
    Hospital
    Agriculture buildings
    And various others...

This college was started for those who really couldn't afford it but wanted an education... They have a very good Fire Science Program and the best part is... You serve 50 hours a month and 2 weeks at the Firehouse... In return... You get your education... Your books... Your room (which by the way is the living quarters of the firehouse...) You have three pieces of apparatus to work with... 2 engines and an a rescue ambulance which provides bls... You run about 500 calls a year and you have the companionship of one kick *** dalmatian... If you want more information on this college... just email me at roadblocknfd@hotmail.com... And I will be more than happy to email you the information on it.... Have a nice day and a safe workday at the firehouse...

One last thing.... The college is nicknamed HARD WORK U and its no lie... You work hard for your education...but its worth it.... here is the url....

web page
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

Sorry, just browsing through...........

I went to Central Missouri State University and got a B.S. in Fire Science / Safety Management in 1997.

I also worked for the Warrensburg FD part time and several EMS agencies in the area and K.C..

Check it out, moved to St. Louis and had a job as a FF/ medic in 3 months.

Best decision I ever made, oh and go to medic school, you can have a P.H.D. in Fire, no medic, no job, usually.

Good luck.

Johnson County Community College has several fire and ems courses, i am currently enrolled in a few. Once outside of the kansas city metro are there are several volly depts, that are no more than 30 to 45 minutes away from the college
    Josh McCray
    Explorer Post 2205
    http://explorers2205.s5.com

~Firefighters: We interfer with natural selection ~
    ~Responding to calls at mach 3 with the windows down and our hair on fire! ~

Thread Information