Thread: Gay Explorers?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ummmm....

Maybe ill play the devils advicate, but uh do you want to be the guy in the next bunk over? Do you want to be the one who has to take sensitivity training twice a year because some gay person gets offended when firefighters do what they do and say what they say. Yea it wont matter working a fire with them, but what happens to the firehouse culture??? If anyone knows or has experience otherwise please let me know, im willing to be corrrected.

Forum Member

Default Re: Ummmm....

Originally posted by Quint31Jumper
    Maybe ill play the devils advicate, but uh do you want to be the guy in the next bunk over? Do you want to be the one who has to take sensitivity training twice a year because some gay person gets offended when firefighters do what they do and say what they say. Yea it wont matter working a fire with them, but what happens to the firehouse culture??? If anyone knows or has experience otherwise please let me know, im willing to be corrrected.
    Good, here comes your correction.

I rode for on and off over two years with a crew that had a gay male as one of the providers on the box... Didn't bother me one bit. Didn't wreck "the culture". Hell, he knew better gay jokes then I did. Oh, he sure had some straight jokes that made us "straight guys" blush, too. I'd still ride with im if I could, but I live a little far away to be doing that.

Oh, he was just "one of the guys". Nobody made him the odd man out because he was gay.

So what if someone is gay, it's not like you have to be intimate with them. Just deal with it...

Forum Member

I really don't think it matters gay or not- first of all how would you know, unless they told you right out. We had a Lesiban in our fire dept a while back, and noone could really care as long as she did what was expected of her- same as anyone else. You say that you may have to take sensitivity training over because someone might crack a joke and they would get offended? What about jokes on women, blonds, polish, jews, blacks, ect????? jokes get make about every race and culture to be in the fire service you take the punches and go with it. I really don't understand why this topic is even being disussed, if you are going to debate gays in the fire service, they debate all races and cultures- why point out one group? What makes a fire departement is a group of unique indiviuals working for the same cause. If everone was the same, life would be boring.

MembersZone Subscriber

I look at it this way... for every gay male in the world there is an un-attached female somewhere complaining that "all the good guys already have boyfriends" so gays are actually kind of increasing your odds. so power to em !
    also i do believe that several states have laws forbiding sodomy, i know the military does
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

Forum Member

i know the military does
    As much as people dont want to believe that, that is true...it is, I recently told me neighbor about how you can't be gay in the military and she was like no that cant happen and I showed her the paper that I signed saying I wouldnt invovle myself in homosexual acts...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK

As much as people dont want to believe that, that is true...it is, I recently told me neighbor about how you can't be gay in the military and she was like no that cant happen and I showed her the paper that I signed saying I wouldnt invovle myself in homosexual acts...
    Well not unless the commanding officer said "Pretty, please?"

Only joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

This topic is pretty silly??? But I somehow got dragged into posting my reply. i have to agree with the majority of the posts that say why should it matter as long as they are properly trained and can do the job right? I don't know why I am even referring Gay people as they or them. Gays are people, too. Just because a male/female is gay doesn't mean that they aren't just as good as the BEST firefighter in the world. And whoever put up the post about worrying about sharing a room with a gay person??....Why should it matter??? We are all big kids now and It isn't our place to judge people(or a person)like that!!! You as a firefighter should know EVERY person on the Dept. should be close like a brother or sister. Being on a dept. is like adopting a family. You woudn't exactly feel good if you got rejected so why put another person trough that??? People may come and go BUT friendships last FOREVER!!! (i read that somewhere)
    Last edited by avfdjunior05; 06-22-2005 at 11:10 PM.

Gayness is instilled. You dont just pop out of the mother the doctors look at you and say "yup this ones gay" I'm sure there might be some small genetic link but overall gayness is instilled from your private and home life.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Early Adopter

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    Gayness is instilled. You dont just pop out of the mother the doctors look at you and say "yup this ones gay" I'm sure there might be some small genetic link but overall gayness is instilled from your private and home life.
    How does this piece of skewed piece of personal opinion answer the original question of the thread?

I know a handful of lesbian or bi-sexual females in the emergency services. No man I know would have a problem working with them. However, if a man came out of the closet... There would be plenty of objections (although most would go unsaid.) What does that mean?

Forum Member

I know a handful of lesbian or bi-sexual females in the emergency services. No man I know would have a problem working with them. However, if a man came out of the closet... There would be plenty of objections (although most would go unsaid.) What does that mean?
    That is the same with women if another women is a Lesbian they will be like ew but if its a gay man they will want to go shopping with them.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Forum Member

** deleted **
    Last edited by adamkhalil; 08-28-2007 at 12:05 AM.

Forum Member

Default Civil rights abuse?

Originally posted by adamkhalil
    Religiously i believe homosexuality is wrong. As far as firefighting goes if a gay black woman with 2 fingers and half a stump for a leg can do the job (i.e. tasks required and save my *** in trouble) i have no problem working with them.

*I did not mean to offend any gay black women firefighters with two or less fingers, who may or may not be legless, with the post i have submitted.
    But should a black female with all appendages firmly attached,who is not a Lesbian, decide to chop off 8 fingers and one and a half legs-- and then turn gay, she/he is to be given every encouragement and lots of Govt. money.

American constitution Para 6 Chapter Nine.
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

Once again this topic is really unnessacray. I am addressing someone else post where they said something about having to got to sesitivity training becasue you made a joke and someone on your crew was gay. Well if they are there chances are they are going to be able to roll with the punches and take a joke. If you ever watch a firefighting show there is alot of joking around. Everyone learns to be the center of the joke once in their career of a firefigther. If they can't take a joke then they shouldn't be a firefighter. That goes for anyone. Straight/Gay/Bi/Male/Female/Race. It goes for anything and everyone. Another topic that I think is stupid and it has nothing to do with this and I don't want to stir anything up I recently was reading a post on another forum about Female firefighters. Once again it shouldn't matter. Ask yourself these questions when your in doubt. Can the do the job? Can they do the job well? Can they save my a** incase i get hurt and go down? If they can't take a joke then that is a topic you can discuss. That is what it all comes down to. Like someone else said the fire service is a family. So someone please kill this topic. I don't understand why today people have to be soo worried about the way someone was born or the way they live their lives. Thier life style is not a choice. Let everyone live their life and leave them alone. If they want to be a firefighter can do the job just as good as the next guy/girl then let them be.
    Stay Safe
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

Forum Member

firehouse .com right. this is absolutley rediculous to me that this is a five page topic . i cant believe some of this banter has been allowed to continue . from some of the things ive read on here i find it very hard to believe some of these people [ very sensitive ] could deal with the way it actually works in a common day city fire dept.[ little room for touchy feely emotional types regardless of orientation.] good luck with some of this rationale. dead this topic , i personally dont believe this is the proper place and or format for it .. oppinion clearly stated . thank you .

Forum Member

I dont know what the big deal is, I have a lot of friends who are L/G/B and havbe no problem with them. I work with them, go to school with them and see no diffrence with them. When we put on our uniform we are not black, white, straight, gay, we are in most cases Blue, or what ever color you uniform is. This post is alot like the BLue light one.... Pointless

Forum Member

This post is alot like the BLue light one.... Pointless
    Then quit posting, the post will just die out...so if it's so pointless quit posting. Hence how you dont see any blue light threads anywhere.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

MembersZone Subscriber

Default GAY FIREFIGHTERS???

I dont get it, whats all the fuss about gay firefighters? Why the guys and gals around my dept are all happy and gay most of the time! Is this a problem I might have missed? And why would anyone so happy hide in a closet?

God bless and pull the ceiling as you go.
    Last edited by CAPPYY; 07-29-2005 at 11:27 AM.

Forum Member

CAPPYY

I guess they want everyone mad, dull and boring.
    When opening up the roof remember plywood comes in 4' X 8' sheets.

www.94firedept.com

IACOJ proud member

Forum Member

Default Huh????

Quote Originally Posted by NFD270 View Post
    Where in the hell did this topic come from???

I guess I don't have that much of a problem...accept for the fact that they could have AIDS and its really easy to get when running med calls....and transferring ****...i guess if they wanted to be a driver for a fire chief like in San Francisco that wouldn't be a problem... But I kinda have a problem with them being on the front line just because of liability...

This opinion in no way affects the thoughts and opinions of my department

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: Adam Spencer ]
    Heterosexuals get AIDS just as much as homosexuals. Also, if you use your universal precautions you greatly reduce your chance of getting aids. Use your PPE, and get educated about aids. The comment you made was very uneducated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddgx300 View Post
    Heterosexuals get AIDS just as much as homosexuals. Also, if you use your universal precautions you greatly reduce your chance of getting aids. Use your PPE, and get educated about aids. The comment you made was very uneducated.
    You want to talk un-education...
    This thread is over 2.5 years old...
    Dredging the Forums is fine, but for the purpose of attempting to bash an individual who isn't around anymore is completely unacceptable and a waste of space. All you're trying to do is Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket.
    You've been around long enough...
    Were you terrified by Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket when you were a kid?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Good God. I can't believe I ever missed this thread. Of course, I wasn't searching for Gay Explorers in the Fire Service either. I'm not quite sure this is the correct message board to be chumming for that.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KEEPBACK200FEET View Post
    Good God. I can't believe I ever missed this thread. Of course, I wasn't searching for Gay Explorers in the Fire Service either. I'm not quite sure this is the correct message board to be chumming for that.
    I just wonder what ddgx was searching to find this thread...
    Scary.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ddgx300 View Post
    Are you for real??? You dig up a thread that is two years old, and of all the threads out there this one. Some people really make me shake my head. Just let it die man.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Cool

Don't ask, don't tell.
    As long as no one made sexual advances i don't have a problem w/ it

Forum Member

I feel that if a homosexual male or female wants to become a fire fighter thats fine. I am straight however i come from a area with a very large homosexual community so i have no issue with what peoples sexual orientation might be. I will have no issue as long as they don't make advances towards me. A word of advice maybe to not make it to public cause not everyone is as understanding as others.
    Hello. Fire dept.. You light'em, We fight'em!

"hard working, gear jamming, nail driving, "jake". "

IACOJ
    4-16-2010 "On the approach"

Thread Information