Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gay Explorers?

Forum Member

This thread is going to be shut down soon. I have a gut feeling. I dont just get it why everyone can just respect others choices of lifestyles.
    FF I
    FF II
    Hazmat Operations
    EMT-B
    ---------------------------------------------------

The light at the end of the tunnel has been temporarly shut off due to the current work load. The Mangement

When all else fails USE DUCT-TAPE!!!

My views posted in this fourm are my personal views only and do not reflect on any agencies that I am afiliated with.

MembersZone Subscriber

FDNY101TRUCK, if you are going to use a Movie Quote to disagree with someone, at least get the Movie right...it was "Meet the Parents."

MIKEYLIKESIT,

When we take off the Gear and throw our professional disagreements aside, we are both human beings. I just hate when I hear people hinting that all Homosexuals have HIV or AIDS, when it is not the truth. You and I both know, from being in close proximity to large cities, that a majority of the HIV/AIDS population is straight!

I have at least one in my family, my uncle has been with his partner for 35 years. And niether of them have HIV/AIDS, ever molested me or tried to turn me into a homosexual. (They also don't agree with Gay Marriage either...LOL)
    Last edited by TillerMan25; 05-29-2005 at 12:47 PM.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

FDNY101TRUCK, if you are going to use a Movie Quote to disagree with someone, at least get the Movie right...it was "Meet the Parents."
    No boss I was referring to the part in Anger Management but yes your right as it is in Meet the Parents, BUT its also in Anger Management....
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Okay why is this even an issue. Everyone ask yourslef this question can they do to the job. Will they save you if you are hurt. Some people might not feel comfortable about working with a gay or homosexual. However it is not something that they can help. They don't just wake up one day and decide that they want to be gay. It is something that one person has no control over at all. I think that this shouldn't even be an issue. Like another person said it doesn't matter weather the gender the sexuality or the skin color of the person. The only thing that you should be worried about is weather they can do the job or not and if you are in danger that they will be able to help you out of danger.
    Eng # To firecom I have a 1 story wood frame structure with a man on the roof putting the fire out...

I definatly agree, it shouldn't matter at all. When I'm on the inside, I could care less, as long as we efficiently get the job done, thats all that matters.

-Henry

Are Fire Explorers still connected to the Boy Scouts of America?
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Default Re: Gay Explorers?

Originally posted by engine1321
    With all the arguments in the Fire Fighter's Forum, I was wondering what everyone in here thought about gays in the fire service, and gays as Juniors and Fire Explorers?

[ 08-02-2001: Message edited by: engine1321 ]
    Who cares? Why did you make a post about this? It's truely ridiculous that anyone would pay heed to another's sexual orientation, and/or care about it in their dept. It doesn't surprise me that an issue like this one would show up in the Jr. Forum.
    Last edited by Pierce151; 06-06-2005 at 05:04 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It doesn't matter what you are. If you can do the job then do it, Of course we do live in a country were people can disagree.

However I know a straight guy that has AIDs because he was raped by a boss. I know several Gay people and none of them have AIDs. Youknow making comments that all gays have AIDs is like making hte comment all the Irish Firefighters are Drunks!

In regards to the Boy Scouts I just happen to have been working at one of the camps when they finally had to make it a public stated not accpeting gays. I for one had at least 2 Gay Scout Masters the Council knew about it and did nothing ot stop it. WHY becuase they were good leaders and did not pusht he life styles on the scouts. It was after a law suit that the BSA had to openly make the statement.

And for the one guy years ago that made the comment I don't want to have him say something that makes people leave the room... Some of the Gay people I know(some are Firefighters) tell heterosexual jokes that make me blush.

The biggest problem I see with some people in this country is that they have to make a point. They have to say I don't like you.

Let someone live the life they want to, if you don't agree then fine. But don't try to cram it down their necks. Maybe they don't like some of the things you do and if they call you on it I am sure yuo are mad. Try walking in someone elses shoes before you speak.
    Thanks
    DM

Default Yo...

I just briefly scanned over these postings and...

I do not live or care for the gay lifestyle AND...

I am not very PC, BUT...

If someone living this way wants to join the fire
    service, you should not be able to interfere or
    give them any grief.

WHY? You need to focus on your own career, education
    and life. Take care of you and you'll be fine.
    If something gets sideways, go through proper channels
    to take care of business.

Ok, rant off.

-Bou

I definatly am not a supporter of gays as I am catholic, but I think that if they can do the job on a scene or training and are willing to watch my back, I can live with it. Doesn't everyone look the same under the turnouts and scba, if they can perform, I have no problem.

And anyone that bit**** or moans about any assignment bugs me, straight, gay, bi, white, black, green, red, I don't care. Do the job and do it to the best of your abilities. I actually enjoy Grunt (aka b****) work. Anything I can do to help at the station I will gladly do.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ummmm....

Maybe ill play the devils advicate, but uh do you want to be the guy in the next bunk over? Do you want to be the one who has to take sensitivity training twice a year because some gay person gets offended when firefighters do what they do and say what they say. Yea it wont matter working a fire with them, but what happens to the firehouse culture??? If anyone knows or has experience otherwise please let me know, im willing to be corrrected.

Default Re: Ummmm....

Originally posted by Quint31Jumper
    Maybe ill play the devils advicate, but uh do you want to be the guy in the next bunk over? Do you want to be the one who has to take sensitivity training twice a year because some gay person gets offended when firefighters do what they do and say what they say. Yea it wont matter working a fire with them, but what happens to the firehouse culture??? If anyone knows or has experience otherwise please let me know, im willing to be corrrected.
    Good, here comes your correction.

I rode for on and off over two years with a crew that had a gay male as one of the providers on the box... Didn't bother me one bit. Didn't wreck "the culture". Hell, he knew better gay jokes then I did. Oh, he sure had some straight jokes that made us "straight guys" blush, too. I'd still ride with im if I could, but I live a little far away to be doing that.

Oh, he was just "one of the guys". Nobody made him the odd man out because he was gay.

So what if someone is gay, it's not like you have to be intimate with them. Just deal with it...

Forum Member

I really don't think it matters gay or not- first of all how would you know, unless they told you right out. We had a Lesiban in our fire dept a while back, and noone could really care as long as she did what was expected of her- same as anyone else. You say that you may have to take sensitivity training over because someone might crack a joke and they would get offended? What about jokes on women, blonds, polish, jews, blacks, ect????? jokes get make about every race and culture to be in the fire service you take the punches and go with it. I really don't understand why this topic is even being disussed, if you are going to debate gays in the fire service, they debate all races and cultures- why point out one group? What makes a fire departement is a group of unique indiviuals working for the same cause. If everone was the same, life would be boring.

MembersZone Subscriber

I look at it this way... for every gay male in the world there is an un-attached female somewhere complaining that "all the good guys already have boyfriends" so gays are actually kind of increasing your odds. so power to em !
    also i do believe that several states have laws forbiding sodomy, i know the military does
    Gravity, not just a good idea....
    Its THE LAW!

Sanity is not statistical.

i know the military does
    As much as people dont want to believe that, that is true...it is, I recently told me neighbor about how you can't be gay in the military and she was like no that cant happen and I showed her the paper that I signed saying I wouldnt invovle myself in homosexual acts...
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Originally posted by FDNY101TRUCK

As much as people dont want to believe that, that is true...it is, I recently told me neighbor about how you can't be gay in the military and she was like no that cant happen and I showed her the paper that I signed saying I wouldnt invovle myself in homosexual acts...
    Well not unless the commanding officer said "Pretty, please?"

Only joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

Forum Member

This topic is pretty silly??? But I somehow got dragged into posting my reply. i have to agree with the majority of the posts that say why should it matter as long as they are properly trained and can do the job right? I don't know why I am even referring Gay people as they or them. Gays are people, too. Just because a male/female is gay doesn't mean that they aren't just as good as the BEST firefighter in the world. And whoever put up the post about worrying about sharing a room with a gay person??....Why should it matter??? We are all big kids now and It isn't our place to judge people(or a person)like that!!! You as a firefighter should know EVERY person on the Dept. should be close like a brother or sister. Being on a dept. is like adopting a family. You woudn't exactly feel good if you got rejected so why put another person trough that??? People may come and go BUT friendships last FOREVER!!! (i read that somewhere)
    Last edited by avfdjunior05; 06-22-2005 at 10:10 PM.

Gayness is instilled. You dont just pop out of the mother the doctors look at you and say "yup this ones gay" I'm sure there might be some small genetic link but overall gayness is instilled from your private and home life.
    FTM-PTB/Leather Forever

Originally posted by N8sfd333
    Gayness is instilled. You dont just pop out of the mother the doctors look at you and say "yup this ones gay" I'm sure there might be some small genetic link but overall gayness is instilled from your private and home life.
    How does this piece of skewed piece of personal opinion answer the original question of the thread?

I know a handful of lesbian or bi-sexual females in the emergency services. No man I know would have a problem working with them. However, if a man came out of the closet... There would be plenty of objections (although most would go unsaid.) What does that mean?

I know a handful of lesbian or bi-sexual females in the emergency services. No man I know would have a problem working with them. However, if a man came out of the closet... There would be plenty of objections (although most would go unsaid.) What does that mean?
    That is the same with women if another women is a Lesbian they will be like ew but if its a gay man they will want to go shopping with them.
    NEVER FORGET!
    9/11/01

Thread Information