Thread: Gay Explorers?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

You'd probably be shocked if you knew how many gay firefighters, both career and volunteer, there are. ( Maybe, it's the guy right next to you .) If you've been around for awhile, you know it makes no difference in their abilities on the job.

Just wondering though, does it bother you when a woman makes advances toward you???
    Last edited by davjohnson; 12-16-2007 at 02:27 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ndvfdff33 View Post
    Just let it die man.
    WHAT HE SAID!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

makes good girls go bad

This topic ENRAGES me.
    Why the fcuk should it matter what you do in your personal life?!
    I worked along side an openly gay paramedic, and I would choose to work with him ANY day.

The topic starter is a bigot, and coward.

Whats next, Black Firefighters?
    Women Firefighters?
    Black, women, red headed step children firefighters?

jeeze......
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyTruckCompany View Post
    Most explorers are members of the BSA....Or explorer posts are break-off's of the BSA or associated with the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) in some fashion, one of the last morally straight organizations in the country that has tried in vain to remain untouched by the ACLU and all the other bastard liberal groups in this country. The BSA has, for decades, tried in vain to instill good, decent moral values in young men (and women) I still remember my Boy Scout Oath: "On my honor, I will do my best, to do my duty to god and my country, and to obey the scout law: to keep myself physically strong, mentally safe and morally straight". (Or something like that. But what I am trying to say is, that homosexuality is wrong. If it were not, then all of society would accept it with open arms. There would not be a "Dont ask, dont tell" policy within the Armed Forces. Homosexuality is wrong, and it needs to be kept out of young peoples lives. The BSA should continue to teach and instill good values to young people, and the ACLU and all those other leftist bastards need to back the hell off....Where are we safe anymore??
    Unfortunately you are wrong on that count, the explorer program is part of the learning for life division of the boy scouts, and by law that division cannot discriminate on basis of sex preference, meaning, they cant force a police department or fire department that has an explorer post to discriminate against gays, since that would violate labor laws, the traditional side of scouts is still how you said it is. If it wasn't for the Mormon church making up such a huge portion of the membership of the BSA (read they give the most $$) then I guarantee you that the policy would change. It needs to. But I disagree with you on your stance of homosexuality being wrong, time to enter the 21st century.

Forum Member

Who cares what every one likes. As long as everyone does their job and keeps their sexual desires to their selves, I really don't care if they engage in what ever activity that they like, just do your thing away from the station. I keep a single woman happy by what I do!!!

Forum Member

Everyone, please, this thread was started back in 2001. Just let it die people. And as for my stand, I agree with Jonnee.
    The words I post here are my own. They do not reflect the opinions of the organizations I am affilliated with.

Forum Member

I know I am about to completely go against what I'm saying, but everyone who sits here, and keeps posting let it die blah blah blah. GUESS WHAT. Your keeping these stupid threads alive.You want them to stop, quite a simple solution. Stop posting in it.

Now I'm done on this.
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

makes good girls go bad

Hey man, let it die!
    Jeeze!

AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankerhoosen View Post
    Unfortunately you are wrong on that count, the explorer program is part of the learning for life division of the boy scouts, and by law that division cannot discriminate on basis of sex preference, meaning, they cant force a police department or fire department that has an explorer post to discriminate against gays, since that would violate labor laws, the traditional side of scouts is still how you said it is.
    I don't know why someone dredged up this old, tired topic, but I will point out that your statement is 100% incorrect.

The Boy Scouts -- including the Explorers -- is a private organization and is entirely within its rights to discriminate against anyone it wants to discriminate against. I don't happen to think it's right but it's perfectly legal.

As for "they cant force a police department or fire department that has an explorer post to discriminate against gays" the sponsoring fire or police department can't force the Explorer group to accept gay members and the Explorer group can't prevent the sponsoring police or fire department from hiring gay employees -- the one has nothing to do with the other.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

this thread makes me think of the canteen boy sketch from Saturday Night Live...
    The Box. You opened it. We Came...

"You'll take my life but I'll take your's too. You'll fire musket but I'll run you through. So when your waiting for the next attack, you'll better understand there's no turn back."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    I don't know why someone dredged up this old, tired topic, but I will point out that your statement is 100% incorrect.

The Boy Scouts -- including the Explorers -- is a private organization and is entirely within its rights to discriminate against anyone it wants to discriminate against. I don't happen to think it's right but it's perfectly legal.

As for "they cant force a police department or fire department that has an explorer post to discriminate against gays" the sponsoring fire or police department can't force the Explorer group to accept gay members and the Explorer group can't prevent the sponsoring police or fire department from hiring gay employees -- the one has nothing to do with the other.
    From the Learning for Life Website, of which exploring is a part "Learning for Life programs are designed for all age groups from
    kindergarten through age 20. Youth participation is open to any
    youth in the prescribed age group for that particular program.
    Adults are selected by the participating organization for involvement
    in the program.
    Color, race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, ethnic background,
    economic status or citizenship is not criteria for participation."

see for yourself http://www.learning-for-life.org/exploring/index.html

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tankerhoosen View Post
    From the Learning for Life Website, ...
    That's an interesting but rather glaring fiction... Learning for Life is a part of the Boy Scouts of America subject to BSA rules of intolerance and their discriminatory policy is pretty clear:

Boy Scouts of America
    Resolution

WHEREAS, the Resolutions Committee of the Boy Scouts of America (on behalf of the Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America) on June 1, 2001, assigned the Relationships Committee of the Boy Scouts of America with the responsibility for considering and making recommendations to the Executive Board with respect to various resolutions submitted by members of the National Council at the annual meeting concerning the appropriate flexibility to be employed by the Boy Scouts of America in establishing standards for leadership; and

WHEREAS, the Relationships Committee duly formed a Task Force on Resolutions, composed of a cross section of representatives from religious and civic chartered organizations and others represented in Scouting, to consider these resolutions and make recommendations to the Relationships Committee; and

WHEREAS, the Task Force has reported the results of its thoughtful and extensive deliberations to the Relationships Committee, which submitted the report to the Relationships/Marketing Group Committee, both of these committees having approved and adopted the Report of the Task Force on Resolutions as their own; and

WHEREAS, the national officers, having received and considered the Report, unanimously adopt the recommendations of the Report without reservation; and

WHEREAS, the national officers agree with the report that "duty to God is not a mere ideal for those choosing to associate with the Boy Scouts of America; it is an obligation," which has defined good character for youth of Scouting age throughout Scouting's 92-year history and that the Boy Scouts of America has made a commitment "to provide faith-based values to its constituency in a respectful manner;" and

WHEREAS, the national officers agree that "conduct of both Scouts and Scouters must be in compliance with the Scout Oath and Law" and that "membership is contingent upon one's willingness to accept the values and standards espoused by the Boy Scouts of America," and

WHEREAS the national officers further agree that homosexual conduct is inconsistent with the traditional values espoused in the Scout Oath and Law and that an avowed homosexual cannot serve as a role model for the values of the Oath and Law; and

WHEREAS, the national officers reaffirm that, as a national organization whose very reason for existence is to instill and reinforce values in youth, the BSA's values cannot be subject to local option choices, but must be the same in every unit; and

WHEREAS, the Boy Scouts of America respects the right of persons and individuals to hold values and standards different than the Boy Scouts of America, the national officers also agree that the Boy Scouts of America is entitled to expect that persons and organizations with different values and standards will nevertheless respect those of the Boy Scouts of America;

THEREFORE, the national officers recommend the National Executive Board affirm that the Boy Scouts of America shall continue to follow its traditional values and standards of leadership.
    They may grudgingly accept gay scouts in an effort to "fix" them but gay scouters are not permitted. Period. That's boilerplate BSA policy.

FWIW, I'm an Eagle Scout and NESA member and I find the the bass akwards policies of intolerance currently supported by the BSA to be disgraceful.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Administrator

Based on the age of the thread and the latest general requests, this thread is closed.

Webteam..

Thread Information